AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh

Posted By: skippy

Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 06:26 AM

But Peter says it's all Israel's fault! Obama, Israel, at least Hamas doesn't have anything to do with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAIRO, Egypt – Al-Qaida's No. 2 leader lashed out at President-elect Barack Obama in a new audio message Tuesday, accusing him of not doing anything to stop Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip, according to an intelligence monitoring center.

The recording purportedly by Ayman al-Zawahiri was al-Qaida's first comments on the Gaza crisis since Israel launched its offensive against the Islamic militants of Hamas on Dec. 27.

In the comments, which were posted on a militant Web site and obtained by the SITE Monitoring Service, al-Zawahiri described Israel's actions in Gaza as a "crusade against Islam and Muslims" and called it "Obama's gift to Israel" before he takes office later this month.

"This is Obama whom the American machine of lies tried to portray as the rescuer who will change the policy of America," al-Zawahiri said, according to SITE. "He kills your brothers and sisters in Gaza mercilessly and without affection."

Al-Zawahiri, who is Egyptian, also criticized Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, calling him a "traitor" for keeping Egypt's border with the Gaza Strip closed since Hamas seized power.

You can't please everyone
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by skippy
But Peter says it's all Israel's fault

I have never said that. Read what I wrote more carefully. I said that IMO the situation can only be resolved by Israel, which is not the same thing at all.
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 03:24 PM

Just another distraction from the real issue.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 03:51 PM

Adolf Merckle, one of Germany’s wealthiest men, committed suicide after weeks of talks with creditors designed to save his businesses from being consumed by disastrous investments and the global financial crisis.

The billionaire, 74, was said by his family to have been “broken” by the sight of his business empire, which ranged from pharmaceuticals to cement, crumbling. He died on Monday evening, apparently hit by a train a few hundred metres from his home in southern Germany.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 04:55 PM

Way to stay on topic. By your silence on the matter you obviously agree with Al-Qaida that Obama is to blame. Not a nice thing to think about our president.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 05:21 PM

By TIMOTHY MARTIN and KEVIN HELLIKER

CHICAGO -- Real-estate executive Steven L. Good was found dead of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound Monday in his Jaguar in a forest preserve outside Chicago, said the Kane County Sheriff's Department.
[Image of Steven Good] Newscom

Steven L. Good

Mr. Good, 52 years old, was chief executive of Sheldon Good & Co., one of the nation's largest real-estate auction firms. His father founded the company in 1965.

Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 05:25 PM

And ?
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 07:19 PM

and....................................WTFC? crazy

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 07:21 PM

Many people whose lives revolved around money have been deeply hit by the present crisis. Interestingly, when Merckle killed himself he still had more than a billion dollars, enough for most people to scrape by on.

As for President-elect Obama, of course he's not responsible for Israel's actions. In the longer term the USA does need to reassess its relationship with Israel (not necessarily change it, but certainly re-evaluate it) but Senator Obama is technically still powerless and couldn't do anything even if he wanted.

Silence on an issue means just that - silence. Maybe the person is away from his computer, maybe he has other things on his mind, maybe he just doesn't want to post on that topic, yet or at all. It can't be construed as accepting one or the other side.
Posted By: Casa Paradise

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 09:31 PM

Israel has been attacked by countries who outnumber and surround them for years. They have had civilian areas indisciminately attacked through suicide bombers, missiles being fired, armed attacks on foot, not to mention the many wars where sovereign nations have tried to put the Israelis into the sea. To retaliate is only natural.
On the matter of the land being inhabited by the Jews before the Arabs, that is a fact. The muslim faith has many of their holy sites built on old Jewish sites. Their religion was founded by their spiritual leaders like Muhammad destroying a Jewish temple and replacing it with the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The Israeli's only want a small sliver of land as their own. They have time and time again shown their willingness to give up all but a small land area for peace. One week after the 6 day war, Israel put forth an offer to give back all of land captured for normalized relations with the Arab League nations. They refused. The Arab Initiative was to follow the 3 No's. No negotiation with Israel, No recognition of Israel, and No peace with Israel. Arafat was subsequently offered nearly 98.5% of the land that the Arabs claim as their own along with many other concessions. He refused, walked away from the table and began the second intifada which was nothing more than tons of suicide bombers blowing themselves up in Jewish coffee shops, buses, and religious sites. Many in the moderate Arab world silently chastised Arafat for ruining the best chance of peace in the history of the region.
Peter Jones, your remarks have shown your antisemitism become more and more apparent as the debate continues. Do you really think that attacks on civilian Jewish sites worldwide are a justified reaction. Hmmmmmm

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:22 PM

How on earth can you deduce from anything I have said that I am either anti-Semitic or agree with attacks on Jews? Why is it that sentiment gallops ahead of reason in this discussion? In the UK I would be tempted to sue for libel for such outrageous, ill-founded and incorrect statements.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:28 PM

"Today's headline "Gaza killings prompt attacks on Jews across Europe".

What an unmitigated disaster."

"Jews stop being so exclusive in their approach to others"

Just quoting you my friend. Also, no one failed to see your sarcasm in the first quote

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:30 PM

Oh, and I had the opportunity to travel to Israel on a similar trip as you "claim" your brother did. I thought that Israel was an incredible place filled with peace loving people. People were willing to give up almost everything to just have peace with others in the region.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:45 PM

I reported what had been said in the press. Do you think that shooting the messenger in any way changes the message? My point was that rightly or wrongly (and I'm not offering a view on that) there are many people throughout Europe who deeply dislike Israel's actions. Most governments, for a start.

I don't see any sarcasm in the first quote. Even if there were any it wasn't mine. It was taken verbatim from two English web newspapers.

Why an "unmitigated disaster"? Because like it or not, Israel's actions will bring down the wrath of many on them, and will damage rather than help their long-term security. It doesn't matter a toss whether you or I think that is justifiable, but pretending it isn't true is simply living in cloud cuckoo land.

As to Jews in Israel being exclusive, that is precisely the truth. By design. It's the raison d'etre for the whole state. Doesn't mean I condemn them for that, or for their existence. But it is a factor in others' attitude to them.

Have you never heard of the concept of dispassionate discussion, of debate? Why do you feel the need to disparage someone you believe you don't agree with? Possibly you wouldn't disagree quite so vehemently if you had read more closely and thought about what was being said.

I'll add, though I see no reason to justify my position, that I am part-Jewish myself, that some of my oldest friends in England are practising Jews, and I chose to start my business here in partnership with an American Jew.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:52 PM

"What an unmitigated disaster" was certainly sarcasm aimed at saying that the Jewish people of the world deserve to be attacked based upon Israel defending itself against an internationally labeled terrorist organization. Whether I agree with you or not, your comments are antisemitic. That is a fact that has nothing to do with the illegitimacy or legitimacy of your argument. It is very common for antisemitic people to use the argument that they "have a jewish friend" or "I one time did business with a Jewish person". That is a self defense mechanism that you have learned to use when you have been accused of being antisemitic in the past (which I'm sure this has not been the first time you have been accused of being antisemitic). Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/07/09 11:53 PM

The visits I "claim" my brother made to Israel are a matter of public record, as he went there as president for his country of the International JayCee movement (Round Table for the under-40's). As such he wanted contact with both Jewish and non-Jewish citizens, and it was the way his attempts to contact non-Jewish people were resisted and to a large extent frustrated by the authorities whose guest he was that formed his view. He lived in South Africa through many of the apartheid years, and what he saw in Israel reminded him strongly of that time.

Do you think that visiting as a tourist would allow such insights? Tourists visited South Africa throughout apartheid and mostly reported that the country was stable, law-abiding and generous to its citizens, a wonderful place to live. They weren't allowed near anything that might change that view.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:02 AM

You are entitled to form whatever view you wish, but don't expect the respect of anyone else who doesn't have the same closed mind that you are exhibiting. Someone else in another recent thread here was publicly called a "racist", which was equally unfounded and would very likely have resulted in a libel action in other countries.

I am constantly amazed that many people who firmly believe in the idea of Israel seem to lose their powers of judgement and criticism. Extreme sensitivity like this is often a sign of insecurity, which can arise for a number of reasons. The best Jewish jokes are told by Jews, and many Jews who choose not to live in Israel are deeply disturbed by the actions of that country. Yet they still regard it as their natural home.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:08 AM

I traveled all around Israel. Arab parts i.e Haifa, East Jerusalem as well as Jewish parts. I saw NO discrimination of Israeli Arabs. The government did nothing to stop me from speaking, mingling, and asking as many questions as I wanted to. Your brother still was a tourist since he traveled as part of a normal non state/government organization. Here is a link from the organization that you say your brother traveled with.
http://www.jci.cc/members/news.php?lang_id=1&info_id=4518&t=3110
I don't see any reason why his visit would have allowed him access to anything I was allowed. The only place I was not allowed to go, was along a street with a cafe that had just been suicide bombed by a Palestinian terrorist/civilian. There were several women and children killed who were clearly involved in apartheid and disproportionate force.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:11 AM

Oh and your threats about libel are the only example of insecurity that I have seen exhibited here on this thread. Libel about your antisemitism....that is funny. First, you would have to prove that it is not true....good luck

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:17 AM

OK, you've seen a lot more of Israel than I have, and possibly also him. But he was an official visitor, a guest of the State, with a full official ministerial welcome, a dinner given in his honour (the honour of his post, nothing to do with him personally), a guard of honour at the airport, etc. He was not a tourist and at no time was he free to behave like one. At that time South Africa had a large Jewish population, probably still has, and his visit was treated as second only to a visit by his equivalent from the USA. What he saw and who he spoke to was subtly but effectively controlled. The Israeli secret service is second to none in its effectiveness.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:19 AM

Oh dear, we don't seem to be getting very far. You really must try reading what is written and do your best to comprehend it before setting finger to keyboard.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 12:30 AM

You have just proved my point that Israel is a peace loving, democratic, non apartheid regime. Anybody can get off of a plane and go anywhere that they want in the country. You can take pictures, speak with anyone you like, and report back and say anything to anyone you want to. This is not true for many state actors and terrorist organization. There is far from a free press in Hamas controlled Gaza, Egypt, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia. Many of these are the very groups who you recommend the world capitulating to their demands that non-Muslims not have a presence in the area that they have been in for thousands of years.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 01:50 AM

I don't care what anyone says, Israel is wrong and evil in this matter.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 04:47 PM

http://sensen.livejournal.com/1817232.html#cutid1

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 05:26 PM

Fascinating! Elbert, do you have a copy of Goldmann's book? I'd love to read it.

This statement of Israel's Foreign Minister in 1998, taken from your quote, is revealing:-
"It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization, or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."
-- Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 06:42 PM

Hmmmmmm.... the same Ariel Sharon who unilaterally pulled out of the entire Gaza strip. Many people warned him that pulling out of Gaza would not lead to peace as they Arabs have stated it would, but rather lead to rocket attacks and attacks on border towns........surely that would never happen. Israel wants peace and a small piece of land they can call their own, not other peoples land.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 06:45 PM

I would love to see a map of the entire middle east that compares Jewish owned land and Arab owned land. Might put things in a different perspective. Israel is a tiny, tiny place that the Israelis according to the United Nations are entitled to. The Arabs have an enormous amount of land, some of which is rightfully theirs, some was stolen years ago from other groups.
The amount of land controlled by Israel was much smaller before all Arab countries attacked Israel in 1967 in an effort to "drive the Jews into the sea". The Arab armies were destroyed in 6 days and Israel got a lot of territory. This land was historically theirs anyways. Going back a long time, way before 1948. Within a week of the 1967 war, Israel offered the Arab league full withdrawal to the pre 1967 borders in exchange for PEACE. They said no!!!! and here we are.........

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 06:47 PM

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053951.html

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 07:56 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/.../Our-humanity-has-failed-us-in-Gaza.html

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 07:59 PM

A couple more, from David Ben-Gurion. Was he also a fringe politician?:-

"Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the place of Huneifis; and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman. There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a former Arab population."
-- David Ben Gurion, quoted in The Jewish Paradox, by Nahum Goldmann, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1978, p. 99

"Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves ... politically we are the aggressors and they defend themselves... The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country."
-- David Ben Gurion, quoted on pp 91-2 of Chomsky's Fateful Triangle, which appears in Simha Flapan's "Zionism and the Palestinians pp 141-2 citing a 1938 speech

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 08:01 PM

Or how about this ultra cynical one from Benyamin Netanyahu?:-

"Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in China, when world attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the territories."
-- Benyamin Netanyahu, then Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, former Prime Minister of Israel, speaking to students at Bar Ilan University, from the Israeli journal Hotam, November 24, 1989.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 08:45 PM

Keep reading, Peter. You will catch up! wink

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 09:08 PM

I never called any of them fringe politicians. None of them are. You are doing what is typical when your argument has no substance and you are quoting things out of context from decades ago. What about Hebron, a city with a jewish majority that had its population massacred and evicted from their land in 1948. Not a very pretty neighborhood. The only thing that seperates Israel from the people that you wholeheartedly support is Israel's love for human life and its desire for peace. The terrorists use civilian life as a weapon and relish in civilian deaths. Israel has an immense desire for peace which has been evident time and time again throughout history. This is in contradiction to the stated goals of the terrorist regimes that you support which advocate Death to Israel and Death to America. Just read the Hamas charter....no jews!!

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/08/09 09:40 PM

"You are doing what is typical when your argument has no substance"

Correct, and since you know what he's doing I'm surprised you still engage him. The anti-semitic left is adroit at this endless and peculiar circular "logic" which enables them to keep talking and never finding a solution. They just want to do anything but confront the evil of the terrorists. After all, who do they fear? The Israelis aren't going to kill them for speaking freely. Will Hamas? He fears one but not the other and thus chooses his enemy from that standpoint. In some societies it's called cowardice.

Anyway, he is skilled at this endless, pointless debating. Some credentials. That and $10 will get him a cup of coffee.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/09/09 06:53 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...house-may-be-war-crime-says-UN-gaza.html

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/09/09 07:15 PM

Israel just doesn't care what they do. It's no coincidence that this is happening in the last throes of the Bush regime.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/09/09 08:05 PM

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1231424895602&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1231424896062&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Do you think this unprovoked attack by terrorists in Southern Lebanon also constitute a war crime? Israel just wants peace

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/10/09 04:37 PM

what's that old quote, Peter? All is fair in Love and War? wink

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/11/09 08:21 PM

Palestinian witnesses said Israeli forces fired phosphorus shells at Khouza, a village near the border, setting a row of houses on fire. Hospital official Dr. Yusuf Abu Rish said a woman was killed and more than 100 injured, most suffering from gas inhalation and burns.

Israeli military spokesman Capt. Guy Spigelman denied the claims.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/12/09 08:09 PM

Hi Danny! Wake up! It's noon! Hope I got to you before you lit the pipe or cracked the bottle. Just kidding! I think you're, as Douglas Adams would say, mostly harmless.

Please check out this safe link to hotair.com and watch the Hamas video. Then please refer to the video and Hamas if you comment further. And no, I don't think those are Israeli actors. This is how these people are and how they think and even how they act. You're welcome.

"This comes from February 2008, as a Hamas politician explains why his group loves to hide behind women, children, and the elderly. Apparently, Hamas considers death a growth industry, a term used by Fathi Hammad in this speech:"

Hamas, in it's own words

Don't forget to read the comments section below the video!

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/12/09 08:16 PM

War is not the answer.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/12/09 08:18 PM

You did not watch it, Danny. Shame on you. Open your mind, Danny, it's the best way to travel.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/13/09 12:42 AM

Take a trip and never leave the farm.

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/13/09 02:25 AM

Gosh Danny, I do believe you resemble this remark (read it!):

“One might think that when the battle is between Israel on the one side, tacitly supported by the Palestinian Authority, Egypt, and Jordan...; and Hamas on the other, supported by Iran and Hezbollah, one would at least hope for an Israeli victory, even if one is dubious about its prospects. But I get the feeling that for many, it’s more important that Israel, and the world, learn a lesson about the ‘limits of military force’ than that a violent, fanatical, backwards, illiberal, anti-Semitic terrorist organization be humbled defeated.” I’d rather see Hamas learn a lesson about the limits of terrorism, but that’s just me . . . ."

Is this what you believe?

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/13/09 02:43 PM

I believe in every drop of rain that falls a flower grows.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/13/09 03:10 PM

Welcome to the the Danny2 Sixties Cliche Festival!! smile

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/24/09 03:53 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...cast-emergency-fund-appeal-for-Gaza.html

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/24/09 04:58 PM

Mr Benn added: "I never thought I would live to see (the BBC) refuse to broadcast a humanitarian appeal on the grounds that it was controversial. I know why it is - because (Tzipi) Livni, the Israeli Foreign Minister, has said there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

"The BBC raised £10 million for the Congo and £18 million for Burma. That decision is denying the aid agencies money they desperately need. People are dying in Gaza. There's an absolute crisis in Gaza."

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/27/09 09:03 PM

There can be no peace with a group that openly states that their goal is the destruction of a UN member state. No other nation has this mantra, but yet you claim it is Israel that does not seek peace. Israel must make peace with those that want peace and crackdown on those that do not want peace, but only destruction. That is the fundamental difference between Hamas/Hezbollah/Iran and Israel and the USA. While mistakes might be made on both sides, only Israel and USA actually want peace

Re: Gaza II: Al-Qaida No. 2 blames Obama for Gaza figh - 01/27/09 09:17 PM

The liberal peace seeking perspective recognizes Hamas is in the wrong

Hillary Clinton speaking today:
"Israel has a right to defend itself against terrorist attacks, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was quoted as saying Tuesday, in her first remarks at the State Department.
US President Barack Obama and...
Reuters quoted her as telling press, "The [Palestinian] rocket barrages which are getting closer and closer to populated areas [in Israel] cannot go unanswered."
"It is regrettable that the Hamas leadership apparently believes that it is in their interest to provoke the right of self-defense instead of building a better future for the people of Gaza,"

Another unprovoked attack and breach of the ceasefire by Hamas. Should Israel just sit idly by while their soldiers and civilians are murdered while they try to abide by the ceasefire? Would you?:

"Before noon Tuesday, an IDF non-commissioned officer was killed when a roadside bomb planted by Gaza operatives along Israel's border with the Strip detonated under the army vehicle he was traveling in."
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board