AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Why I won't use Facebook

Posted By: Peter Jones

Why I won't use Facebook - 02/01/09 12:06 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...etworking-site-cashes-in-on-friends.html

Predictable - they're selling access to the personal data they've accumulated. Did anyone seriously think that what they posted wouldn't become public property?
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/01/09 12:19 AM

If any company is interested in finding out who in Belize* has an opinion about everything and isn't shy about sharing, all they have to do is stop and ask anyone in the street and they will find you anyway smile

*I don't live in Belize
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/01/09 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...etworking-site-cashes-in-on-friends.html

Predictable - they're selling access to the personal data they've accumulated. Did anyone seriously think that what they posted wouldn't become public property?

It all goes back to ensuring that anything you post on the internet is something that you wouldn't be ashamed about if your mother or grandmother or the tax man came across it. Don't post anything you wouldn't mind being public - that includes email messages and your shopping habits!!

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/01/09 05:13 PM

Unfortunately there is often hidden information attached that unknown to you people can access. And anyone targetting you can put two-and-two together, such as working out when you're out of the house so they can burgle it, or finding out your cell phone number so they can intercept calls.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/02/09 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
...and your shopping habits!!

ok that made me laugh out loud!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/03/09 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Unfortunately there is often hidden information attached that unknown to you people can access. And anyone targetting you can put two-and-two together, such as working out when you're out of the house so they can burgle it, or finding out your cell phone number so they can intercept calls.

Mr. DOOM AND GLOOM...

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/03/09 04:40 AM

Perhaps Jesse, but it's true anyway. Several frauds are reported in the UK as having been based on Facebook or similar sites.
Posted By: beachbumin

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/03/09 04:45 AM

No kidding. They probably have a gazillion members and only a couple of instances of fraud. Real question is what Marty is doing with all the info he gathers here....haha.
Posted By: Seachange

Re: Why I won't use Facebook - 02/03/09 01:23 PM

Probably writing a screenplay....a treatment along the lines of "Captain Ron" meets "Apocalypto" meets "Peyton Place" with a touch of "The Old Man and the Sea" and "Mutiny on the Bounty.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board