AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Don Greife CARICOM news reall up set me today. - 03/25/09 03:44 AM
Today I read an article in CARICOM news that almost made me puke. I have wondered for a long time why it cost so much more to fly to Belize than to other CA countries. It seems that there is currently a "SUBSIDY WAR" going on between Central American countries and the Island Nations in an attempt to keep the airlines flying to their cities. The article said Jamica planned to spend $4.5m US, in 2009, to subsidize American Airlines to continue flying to their island. Yuk/Gag/Vomit. SUBSIDIZE the Airlines??? Crap!!!, subsidize the TOURIST with a travel voucher for his return trip to the island and make the airlines COMPETE for them. The tourist will return and spend another $2k/week "each".
Good Idea? Bad Idea?
Posted By: Otteralum Re: CARICOM news reall up set me today. - 03/25/09 10:39 PM
Kinda like that Don.
Posted By: Canam Re: CARICOM news reall up set me today. - 03/25/09 10:55 PM
That's pretty normal as far I've known. Hawaii does it etc.
Posted By: belizelaw Re: CARICOM news reall up set me today. - 03/26/09 02:36 PM
Don:

Up from when their flights were initiated (around 2001) until a year or two ago, USAirways' Belize flights were, I believe, subsidized by GOB. I don't know this first hand, but this was told to me by someone in authority at USAir. That's why, for a while, US had the flights out of CLT every day. When it stopped, US cut back to weekend only fights.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board