AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: champion WWII Sub Pics - 05/05/10 08:01 PM
Just got an email from a friend with the attachment.

This is one of the best virtual tours I've ever seen. It brings home once again why I feel the men in WWII were the greatest. We are so lucky.

Scroll down the right side to advance the pictures

The USS Pampanito is tied up in SanFrancisco bay and is a WWII diesel submarine. Drag your mouse around and watch the room rotate.

Gentlemen, Ran across this site from an old Italian friend of mine, 92 years old, a retired baker friend of mine and what is unique about it, as you tour the site, place your cursor on the screen/picture and and move the mouse and the picture will move around the respective compartments. You might want to share it with others.

I am sure that our Smoke Boat Brothers can relate to every picture.

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_pampanito/html/01.html

In the meantime, the SF Port is getting close finishing up the replacing the piles on the pier, which when finished, should allow the placement of our long overdue effort to get the Magnificent Lost Boat Memorial in its rightful place of Honor, to provide a perpetual tribute and memorial to our fallen heroes of World War II, unless another behind the scenes effort raises its ugly head again. Keep the faith, good thoughts and prayers that our efforts will become reality.

Posted By: Marty Re: WWII Sub Pics - 05/05/10 08:45 PM
very very cool. thanks.
Posted By: azbob Re: WWII Sub Pics - 05/06/10 12:06 AM
champion, that is one great tour! Good luck with the Memorial!
Posted By: Peter Jones Re: WWII Sub Pics - 05/06/10 01:21 AM
Very impressive set of pics. I went to sea briefly (submerged) on a nuclear sub when I was a child, and although it seemed enormous to me then it was actually very cramped and very cluttered. A way of visualising what it must have been like to be aboard one of these things and hearing explosions around you and wondering if the next would be the last thing you heard, is to watch the film Das Boot. Made from the German perspective, but a submarine is a submarine.
Posted By: ragman Re: WWII Sub Pics - 05/06/10 01:54 AM
Great Pics and a great site. Although I was never on a "smoke boat" I've been on nuke boats and small vessels. Looking back, room was scarce but we seemed to adjust and get by. I've slept in Berth spaces very similar for months on end on surface craft but at least on them you could go up on deck and get some space.

Nice trip down memory lane, thanks.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board