AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Allergies?

Posted By: azbob

Allergies? - 09/09/10 06:09 PM

I have been researching common air borne allergies found in Belize, but there is very little information. Does any one know of or have problems with allergies? Or did you have allergies and symptoms improved, or worsened, after moving to the tropics.

Here is an article from 1958. With all the flowers in the tropics you would assume there would be more problems.

Journal of Allergy
Volume 29, Issue 4, July 1958, Pages 362-374

Permissions & Reprints

Original article
Etiological agents of respiratory allergy in tropical countries of Central and South America
Plutarco Naranjo M.D.
From the Allergy Division, Universidad Central del Ecuador, Quito, Ecuador
Received 20 February 1958.
Available online 11 November 2004.

Abstract
In the tropical countries of Central and South America there grow only a few species of plants that produce allergenic pollen, and these are not widely distributed, with the exception of the grasses which otherwise have a feeble sensitizing power. The output of pollens from grasses is very limited in the high mountains because of the lack of flowering of such plants. The most important species correspond to the families Amaranthaceae, Chenopodiaceae, and Compositae.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 06:33 PM

Does tequila count ?

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 06:35 PM

Well, that depends on the brand. smile
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 06:47 PM

Mr. Azbob, If it helps you I'll share.....

....I have spent most of my adult life in Central California Valley....Every weather change brings new allergies, and for me allergic reactions...Mostly sinuses.

However, when in Belize this does not happen.

Reason 756 why we have a home in San Pedro.

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 07:09 PM

Big help Judy, thanks.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 07:16 PM

My husband suffers with seasonal allergies here (Texas/Arkansas) and in Belize never has problems. he doesn't even have to take his daily allergy meds when there.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 07:58 PM

The only thing I'm allergic to when I'm on the Island is the "Having to leave allergy" laugh
Posted By: Keller

Re: Allergies? - 09/09/10 08:42 PM

I was pretty much convinced it was the rum in San Pedro that cured my asthma...but, after continually bringing some home for further testing I am not too sure. I am starting to think it is just the climate so we will be back in November for further studies.
Posted By: kerry

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 06:58 AM

hi azbob...been awhile...i have a bronchial condition, and when i am in the states i cough more frequently and have bouts with pneumonia in the colder months...when in belize, don't have even close to the same symptoms...
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 01:11 PM

We used to see people with breathing problems during the super dry time of year - from street dust. I miss the sand streets, but the dust issue is much less evident since the pavers.

Posted By: shuffles

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 01:53 PM

My sinuses go crazy for a bit every time the barometer changes. Here or in the US. I also have a reaction when the palm trees put out their fruits, so I have them all cut off once they come out. Seems to help.

But then again, my sinuses go crazy when I am in the US as well, it's mostly dependent on the amount of humidity. If it stays the same for a few days, they will adjust, but when that changes, so do my sinuses.

Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 02:27 PM

I am alergic to the beer....
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 03:45 PM

Too many belikins make my husband and my dad sneeze - but don't worry, they have been working through it.
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Allergies? - 09/10/10 04:23 PM

Ha Amanda, they just have to increase their tolerance!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Allergies? - 09/11/10 04:37 PM

I'm allergic to bad red wine. Does that qualify as a regional issue?

Re: Allergies? - 09/12/10 03:43 PM

I really appreciate everyones comments. My wife is ready to move now(it's been a bad allergy season here). As for me, I have to be very careful with the Belkin's, tequila and red wine allergies! laugh

Al, I agree the worst allergy is when you have to leave!!!!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board