AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: pugwash Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/13/10 07:53 PM
A New York Post Article:

Viewed with the long lens, the uncivil war between President Obama and liberal Democrats is merely another example of the gradual awakening of Obamabots. The big story of the last two years is how millions of Americans who voted for him have concluded he's not the man they thought he was.

As a former supporter myself, I know the phenomenon too well. First you wince as he betrays some principle you thought he shared.

It could be a fiscal issue, ethics or national security. Or you might have believed, as I did, he was serious about governing mostly from the middle.

You overlook the breach once, twice, and by the third time, you face the disappointment. Your eyes and mind now open, disenchantment comes in waves. As the anger builds, it finally dawns on you that you were a sucker for your own hopes.

Yet not all suckers are equal, which brings us back to the temper tantrums of the moment. "Liberals and other brats" describes what's happening in Nancy Pelosi's haunted House.

It's shocking to see the open profanity and mockery -- "F- - k Obama" and taunting chants of "No we can't" -- coming from Dem members of Congress. But the temptation to sympathize with Obama should be resisted. He has only himself to blame.

Messiahs either deliver, or they are abandoned and vilified. Having failed to deliver, Obama is now paying the price in terms he helped to shape.

Indeed, his self-reverence and personal attacks on any and all critics mark him as the brewmeister for much of what is wrong with our politics. Payback is not just a bitch -- it's fair play.

Obama's grandiose promises -- "our planet will begin to heal" -- turned the 2008 campaign into a mutual fantasy society. His life story, race and rhetorical talent made him special, and cult-like status was conferred on those who "got" his greatness.

The awakening began the instant he had to govern. For some, it's the things he couldn't get done -- closing Gitmo, charming Iran, getting out of Iraq.

For most, the problem is that the things he did haven't worked. He busted the budget for a stimulus that didn't stimulate, turned on Israel and other allies for no good reason and insisted on the historic health-care fiasco, which will take years to fix. There are so many ticking time bombs in it that even its authors are discovering unintended consequences -- and it's only started to take effect.

The country's response was a no-confidence vote in the midterms. Yet Obama still doesn't accept the verdict, stumbling between excuses that belittle voters' concerns.

Worse, he's declared that class warfare will be his campaign theme for 2012. He called Republicans "hostage takers" and "bomb throwers," reflections of an immature and ideological mind that refuses to recognize any legitimacy in rival views. He would rather campaign on divisions than govern in tune with the majority consensus.

That's the rub in this whole spectacle -- his reactions to the election and its consequences are almost identical to those of the crybaby House Dems.

The only difference is in the details. He's petulant but willing to make a temporary tax deal with the GOP on upper income brackets so he doesn't get blamed for a hike that hits everyone. House Dems are petulant but would rather have a glorious flame-out that penalizes millions of workers than accept a two-year compromise.

Both Obama and his party leaders were willing to defy the public for two years because they had full Washington control. And now they are at war.

They deserve each other, and America deserves better.

See....you are not alone....its OK to admit that 2008 was just a mistake...... just be sure you don't get fooled again in 2012!
Posted By: reaper Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/13/10 08:44 PM
Because McCain and Palin would have saved us all. Yea team!

Glad to see USA Chat is alive and well. Looking forward to jhill and clover's responses.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/13/10 09:06 PM
I don't recall anyone on the right side ever promoting McCain/Palin as the messiahs, unlike the Obama supporters.

I would also like to hear the above named members also making a statement that does not include "....but look what (insert name of a republican) did". Obama sucks, let's face it.
Posted By: Bing Crosby Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/13/10 09:11 PM
I don't recall anyone on the right side ever promoting McCain/Palin as the messiahs,

God I hope not.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/14/10 01:49 AM
I rest my case. laugh
Posted By: Rykat Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/14/10 05:42 AM
yeah but wouldnt it be fun if Peter took Bidens place in 2012?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHaTtgZ-lmY&feature=related

smile
Posted By: jhill123 Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/14/10 09:17 PM
I never expected Obama to save anyone, and I'm not quite as blind to the party's failings as some would believe. I am glad that Pauly Walnuts and The Former Half Term Governor didn't make it into office on the Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran ticket.
We have the start to National Single Payer Health Care so yeah, I'm glad Obama made it into office.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/14/10 09:59 PM
jhill, you have got to be kidding? You want ObamaCare?
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/14/10 11:34 PM
The Washington Post keeps babbling on about Obama inheriting a huge deficit from Bush. Amazingly, a lot of people believe this nonsense. Look at some facts:

Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democratic Party

The Democrats controlled the budget process for fiscal years 2008 to 2010.

Where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed of of these massive spending bills and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete the fiscal year 2009.

What Obama is saying is that he inherited a deficit that he voted for and then he voted to expand that deficit four fold!

Blaming Bush for his own incompetence will only work for so long. Kick him to the curb where he belongs in 2012!
Posted By: clover Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 12:06 AM
Obamabots....demeaning name calling is so adolescent....but then again I guess you have to consider the source.

What I've noticed about the far right is that they always totally ignore the facts..... for instance:

Obama is unpopular with voters...when in actuality 52% of polled Americans have a mostly favorable opinion of him

http://www.pollingreport.com/obama_fav.htm

He busted the budget with a stimulus that didn't work.

According to the Congressional Budget Office the stimulus has had positive effects on the economy.
http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?p=1326

When Obama compromises with the GOP and gives them the only thing they care about.......huge tax breaks for the rich....he's mocked....when in fact he's obvously just doing the will of the majority of Americans....not the 20% that represent the cry baby myopic self righteous far right wing.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/145109/Americans-Support-Major-Elements-Tax-Compromise.aspx

The best paragraph in that article is the one that explains that it is a slim minority that has problems with the GOP/Obama Stimulus II deal.

Looking more specifically at the different ideological wings of each party, only liberal Democrats oppose extending the tax breaks for everyone: 39% are in favor, while 55% are opposed. Among the other groups, support ranges from 64% of conservative/moderate Democrats to 87% of conservative Republicans.

Similarly, conservative Republicans are the only political/ideological group opposing the extension of unemployment benefits. The majority of moderate/liberal Republicans are in favor, as are most Democrats, regardless of ideology.

I hope the poor disgruntled author of that article is just another ignorant partisan.....and not as delusional as he seems. I respect his right to his opinion, but without the facts it's not much more than propaganda.

"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations,
or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
John Quincy Adams

Posted By: jhill123 Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by LaurieMar
jhill, you have got to be kidding? You want ObamaCare?

I would like every legal person in this country to have health care. Yes. Nobody should die because they can't afford a Doctor. That's the part of "Of the People, By the People, and For the People" that matters to me.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 03:53 PM
I would "like" every legal person to health care, a job, and a really nice pinot noir on their dinner table, but there is no right to these things. To grant a "right" to them opens up a cure that's worse than the disease.

Every legal person in this country should have access to affordable healthcare. This is where I think we're really close in our views.

Unfortunately, Obamacare makes insurance less affordable in the name of expanded coverage. The Left refuses to look at how health care became unaffordable in the first place. This would provide the roadmap to making it accessible to the masses once again.

Posted By: LaurieMar Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 04:21 PM
Otter, agree...especially about the really nice bottle of pinot on the table and that there is no fundamental right for an individual to have health care.

In fact, I agree with the recent Virginia Judge's ruling that Obamacare is unconstitutional. I do not want to be forced into a governmental system which tells me what I can and cannot have and do pertaining to my healthcare, what procedures I can and cannot have, etc. I am very fortunate and blessed that I have health insurance completely covered by my employer, but I work for it and pay into the system. There must be a give and take.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 05:07 PM
" would "like" every legal person to health care, a job, and a really nice pinot noir on their dinner table, but there is no right to these things. To grant a "right" to them opens up a cure that's worse than the disease.

Every legal person in this country should have access to affordable healthcare"

Well said, Otter - DEAD ON!
Posted By: clover Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by LaurieMar
The Washington Post keeps babbling on about Obama inheriting a huge deficit from Bush. Amazingly, a lot of people believe this nonsense. Look at some facts:

Here's your facts

http://zfacts.com/p/1170.html
Posted By: jhill123 Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 07:07 PM
I'm not sure you read my first post. I know the current version is flawed, it pays the insurance companies to hose us. That's why single payer is ultimately where we need to be.

Like I said, people shouldn't die because they can't afford insurance and people shouldn't be forced into bankruptcy due to medical emergencies
Posted By: Bing Crosby Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 08:26 PM
I am very fortunate and blessed that I have health insurance completely covered by my employer, but I work for it and pay into the system. There must be a give and take.

Lucky you Laurie Mar (and Me) We have health care but too many companys don't want to provide health care because they would rather have that money as their own higher profits. Or they make sure everyone working for them is only part time.
Posted By: champion Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by jhill123
I'm not sure you read my first post. I know the current version is flawed, it pays the insurance companies to hose us. That's why single payer is ultimately where we need to be.

Like I said, people shouldn't die because they can't afford insurance and people shouldn't be forced into bankruptcy due to medical emergencies

Never thought I would agree with you Jhill, stranger things have happened.
Posted By: Marty Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 10:14 PM
hard to imagine flawed legislation. Isn't it perfect once it passes thru all the learned, wise members of the congress?
Posted By: champion Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/15/10 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Marty
hard to imagine flawed legislation. Isn't it perfect once it passes thru all the learned, wise members of the congress?

Marty, read my latest in smiles for the day.
Posted By: reaper Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/16/10 05:50 AM
If we stopped free ambulance rides and free health care at ER's across America for all of the illegal immigrants we could afford to pay for everyone's care, easily.

We have socialized medicine now that costs the states an incredible amount of their budgets. Call a county supervisor in your state and ask them what is spent on "indigent" health care?

Ask the local ambulance company how much they actually collect on their bills, how much the county pays them to operate and how much they jack up their rates to cover no pays.

Ask your local fire department how much their paramedic program costs and how much it gets abused.

We spend billions of dollars each year taking good care of everyone. Check on where the nearest level one trauma center is to you. One or two have probably closed in the last 20 years that were closer to you.

The problem with the health care bill, or any system that has been proposed, doesn't look into the realities of why health care costs so much.

The current state of the EMS system nationwide is breaking the bank.
Posted By: Bobber Re: Gradual Awakening of Obamabots? - 12/16/10 03:39 PM
Amen. The ERs here are inundated with illegals coming in by ambulance (paid for by the county/state) and MUST be seen, no matter how trivial the reason. Those walking in, having insurance, are forced to wait sometimes 6-8 hours (personal experience) to see a doc. Sitting in the waiting room with masses of family of the folks who HAD to come in by ambulance to be seen is an experience.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board