AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Otteralum Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/22/11 09:48 PM
From CNN.com. Anyone wanna go halvsies with me on a new business in San Pedro??? I'm only half-kidding.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/22/personal.submarine.mashable/index.html?hpt=C2#

[Linked Image]
-- Hop into this Ego Compact Semi Submarine, and without any extensive training you can be on your way to exploring the deep blue sea in no time.

Why is this called a semi-submarine? The entire boat is not submerged, but it's more like a pontoon boat with a transparent waterproof compartment hanging from its middle.

That means James Cameron is not going to be using one of these subs for that deep-water shoot for his Avatar sequel, but it's still suitable for giving you an eye-popping view of the undersea world. Think of it as more akin to snorkeling than scuba diving.

Photos: Raonhaje's Ego Compact Semi Submarine

The little boat cruises along at a leisurely sightseeing pace that's unspecified by its maker, which will only say that its batteries will last eight hours at cruising speed or four hours at top speed.

It's built by South Korean company Raonhaje, which plans to sell fleets of these Ego Semi-Submarines to resorts, and single units to individuals and yacht owners. The company offers to build custom moorings for the craft, as well as hoists for yachts.

We're thinking super-safe leisure subs like these would be a huge hit at a resort, especially seaside marinas near coral reefs, with their colorful and bustling underwater wildlife. Just think, even people who can't swim can enjoy the spectacular view.

See the original article at Mashable.com.

Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/22/11 10:35 PM
Can we get AM/FM radio in it?
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/22/11 10:41 PM
And draft beer....
Posted By: Chloe Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/22/11 11:02 PM
And Bacon....
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/22/11 11:30 PM
Well then you'll need a galley to prepare it...
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 12:26 AM
Well, if you have draft beer then you'll need a head as well.... But count me in on the business opportunity Otter!!!
Posted By: champion Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 12:31 AM
Can't find a sticker price anywhere. I'd jump in.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 01:08 AM
If the price matters..you can't afford it....
Posted By: champion Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 01:15 AM
Not true, just wanted to know how much pocket change I could get rid of.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 01:27 AM
Beats me. Tried to find a price. With San Pedro's proximity to the reef, seems like a natural fit for an eco-friendly transport to the reef.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 01:32 AM
Would it require a license like any other boat?
Posted By: Phil Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 04:09 PM
It is a boat and this is Belize, so sure. Talking of draft - nautical not beverage..............
Posted By: champion Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 06:07 PM
Not only the visual for the reef, but how about relaying fishing info back to shore? Or not. The draught is a concern close to shore.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 07:47 PM
You'd be cleaning up a lot of puke from inside on a day like today...or most days around here for that matter.
Posted By: elbert Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/23/11 07:56 PM
[Linked Image]
I still like this idea better!
Posted By: Gridguy Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/27/11 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by SimonB
You'd be cleaning up a lot of puke from inside on a day like today...or most days around here for that matter.

crazy sick

Posted By: Marty Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/27/11 03:10 PM
NICE elbert! i'm for that one too
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/27/11 03:41 PM
elbert's idea would take less capital to set-up, that's for sure.
Posted By: elbert Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 02/27/11 07:59 PM
It probably needs an adapter for drinking Belikin.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Semi-sub in San Pedro? - 03/05/11 06:15 PM
that is super cool looking
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board