AmbergrisCaye.com Home

TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT

Posted By: captjeff

TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 04:15 PM

TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT
It seems that there is a bunch of TROLLS now on this board
who are bitter people.they hide behind there comments
with no facts and they are just silly and evil .There Personal Attacks are sick .and made up and of course
are mean sprited and nasty .
This is a great fun board I love this board as it helps me
live the dream every day .my question to my fellow board friends how can we cure this Disease.Peace is a good thing

Posted By: Marty

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 04:17 PM

all we can do is watch for them and folks can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] to alert me...

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 04:19 PM

Marty thanks I was thinking more like hanging them LOL. But your way seems better and More in the line with peace. and love

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 04:26 PM

hanging is cool... :>
Posted By: GwenA

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:11 PM

Wait! Wait! Let's keep the trolls that are entertaining! I'm simple minded and really enjoyed ceviche fishing!
Posted By: sandyb

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:20 PM

I agree, I rarely post for fear of being ridiculed...
Lots of great posters tho, outweigh the jerks.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:21 PM

Gwen I like ceviche fishing .whats wrong with that .
I think they taste like chicken .wait do not want to get off the topic as this is very imporant things TROLLS ,AND JERKS .
So two votes for hanging .one for keeping .Sandy says she do not want to get framed so will just say leave it be ..sorry i could not help my self

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:24 PM

I certainly don't like TROLLS. I find it offensive when people get on this board to scam, or with an agenda to denigrate people (except for Jesse).
Posted By: Keller

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:25 PM

If you have to fish for chicken...perhaps the lake is too big. wink
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:42 PM

Gwen: Please explain your comment about "Jesse"

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:53 PM

Ha, ha! Jesse has a rivalry with several folks on the board. SP Daily, Ha!
Ascerbic whit is good. Always, saying good things about some things, and always being sarcastic about others, has given Jesse a distinction. SP Daily, Ha!
Posted By: elbert

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:55 PM

I'm going to develop an avatar and new name for myself so i can talk about myself in third person. Is that schizoid?

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 05:59 PM

Elbert, from the psychology person, not schizoid, at all. That is the most misunderstood of the personality disorders. Not schizophrenic either. Il'd say whimsical, ironic, and a little grandiose. LOL!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 07:05 PM

Are you two talking about Capt Jeff smile

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 07:13 PM

He! he! No avatar needed there!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 07:15 PM

ERNIE GROW UP IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY SAY NOTHING
DO NOT START SOMETHING BECAUSE YOU ARE BORED WITH YOUR LIFE
I DO NOT WANT TO JOIN THE LONG LIST OF PEOPLE WHO FIGHT WITH YOU HERE ON THIS BOARD .I WANT PEACE .
BE NICE .THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME OR YOU .IF YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING GOOD OR BAD PM ME .WE CAN AGREE OR DISAGREE LIFE HAD CHOICES.BUT THE BOARD IS NOT FOR YOUR NEGITIVE COMMENTS ABOUT ANY ONE.WHO POSTS HERE .JUST BECAUSE THEY RUB YOU THE WRONG WAY .
AND YES I KNOW IT IS IN CAPS .

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 07:22 PM

Jeff, I like Ernie, but I wasn't trying to diss you, and in this circumstance Ernie shouldn't either, when I said no Avatar needed, it is like both of us....we are who we are, choose to be seen as who we are, and don't knowingly misrepresent ourselves!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 08:02 PM

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 08:45 PM

Ah, sorry Jeff, but you just give me so much to work with smile

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 09:16 PM

IF YOU CALL WHAT YOU D0 WORK .LOL.YOU MAYBE SHOULD TRY A JOB FAIR FOR NEW EMPLOYMENT ...BE NICE YOU WILL FEEL BETTER .
BUT I AM GLAD YOUR SORRY .
[YES I KNOW I AM IN CAPS I AM YELLING ]
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 09:28 PM

If only a Breathalyzer was installed on this thing, a lot of these arguments would be a mute point.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 09:35 PM

There really is a breathalyzer! Just watch the spelling.
I must say though, long fingernails on an I-Pad gives little leeway!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 09:49 PM

I think there is a big difference in arguing and jest wink

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 10:21 PM

Ernie, there is a big difference. The difference between those with a sense of humor and those without one is a rift, or a state of mind, or a missed perception.
To be honest I miss it sometimes if it's one of my "push button" issues. And, I'm perceived as a horses ass with no sense of humor.
Sometimes, people guess they know me based on what I printed.
Some times they miss it, and even though you think they are asses...they just miss it.
People are people...most complex entities on this planet.
Just think of a marriage...you got it., I'm caught up all the time in that nuance (not big difference) between argument and jest! Acckkk! It isn't that extreme as it's been pointed out to me.,

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 10:23 PM

So,here I say there is a big difference and there isn't.
Posted By: reaper

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 10:33 PM

I think it's time to start hosting the wrastl'n matches again!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 10:36 PM

Well, that cleared that up....... I think

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/09/11 10:53 PM

Breathalyzer-wise...the legal term is moot!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/10/11 12:47 AM

LETS ALL SING LET THERE BE PEACE ON EARTH .STAY ON THE TOPIC .
AND ALL GET ALONG .LIVING THE DREAM SOUNDS GOOD ABOUT NOW .
YES I STILL KNOW I AM IN CAPS LOL.
AND REAPER THOSE TIGHTS WILL FIT NOW ..

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/10/11 01:30 AM

FIT WHAT ? BEVO !

Now, dont git yer knickers in a wad jeff, just funnin ya smile
Posted By: sandyb

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/10/11 02:18 AM

Great idea Elbert, then we can give wonderful recommendations for our businesses! Wait, I think that's already been done...

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/10/11 03:00 PM

ERNIE OK I AM GETTING YOUR DRIFT I HEAR YAAAA.ALL GOOD .
WHERE IS RYKAT WHEN WE NEED HIM .
Posted By: Rykat

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/10/11 03:38 PM

Kumbuya..................................my as*! grin wink

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/11/11 09:11 PM

RYKAT TO THE RESCUE .RYKAT IS IN THE HOUSE .RYKAT
ERNIE WAS MEAN TO ME .LOL.
Posted By: champion

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/11/11 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by captjeff
RYKAT TO THE RESCUE .RYKAT IS IN THE HOUSE .RYKAT
ERNIE WAS MEAN TO ME .LOL.

Quit yellin, are ya BLIND? Leave Ernie alone ya meanie.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/11/11 11:09 PM

I like yellin . LOL.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/11/11 11:30 PM

A lot of us are used to Cap'n Jeff! Yelling or not. :-)

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/11/11 11:32 PM

Yeah Jeff, quit picking on me. Im very sensitive .

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 04:43 PM

SORRY .sorry

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 07:00 PM

Lately we have been inundated with Internet invading trolls, charlatans, and pranksters (sorry Simon, this isn't paranoia). Our efforts to give information to real possible visitors has been proven to be useless.
It isn't paranoia, it's skepticism. Several attempts to request info about tours, rentals, and local info, have been proven to be scammers.
This is disappointing and even depressing, as us locals and visitors that wish to promote our Isla Bonita experiences, are being scammed by Internet jokesters.
I dont know what to do. But I have exposed at least three of them over the last week.
We need to regain control of our message board,so legitimate tourists can be comfortable, that our board is legitimate and helpful.
Check in with Marty, if you aren't sure about this, but a seemingly benign troll, when exposed admitted that we caught them.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 07:35 PM

no way around it.
comes with the territory

been this way forever. not really worse lately, just a basic fact of message boards. email me if you are ever suspicious.

there are some sick puppies out there who like to manipulate message boards.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 10:22 PM

GwenA, Its just the internet, seems like its the same as it always has been. Your just closer now and see it from a new perspective.
Just roll with it they are always there and always will be.
We've got a great board going. I've traveled to places that didn't have something like ambergriscaye.com and its difficult as hell finding out about where your going, how to get there and what to do with out a place like this for advice. Trolls are self evident to people that are on the internet with any regularly. If they get too annoying Marty and his crew swat them.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 10:52 PM

You know Elbert, I appreciate that, but the recent rash is worse than you think. Marty is in on it. We recently had a couple of posts deleted that scammed some nice boarders that were trying to help future tourists.
There is some reason some scammers are trying to co-opt the members that are trying give info to future visitors/ future expats, and just people that want to hear from us locals.
It's bizarre! That guy that wanted to know about "ceviche fishing" was really a scammer, and ended up admitting to it! (there is a paper trail, I dont have but Marty does).
The point is our board helps people, and those of us who live here and respond provide the legitimacy.
Those that watch and listen that don't know, are trusting us. The scammers and trolls can twist and destroy the truth.
This is the first time we have had to consider the Internet can help tell the truth, but there are people completely unrelated to us who are misrepresenting us as hoaxes, while we are blithely, just chatting on our message board.
Posted By: seashell

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:05 PM

GwenA, why worry so much about it? If a scammer asks a question, just go ahead and answer it, as rationally as possible, even if you are suspicious. I've always viewed those times as an opportunity to potentially enlighten a legitimate reader. As for the ceviche fisherman, I thought that was hilarious, didn't think it was a scammer, thought it was a humorist.

The damage from trolls, is when they say mean, spiteful things and/or give deliberate misinformation. And in those regards, we have Marty, board administrators, or other legitimate posters to address it.

The danger is when a legitimate poster edges into becoming a troll themselves, by trying to hard to defeat the troll. As has been said "you can't wrestle a pig without getting a little mud on ya."

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:10 PM

Sorry, Seashell, Marty isn't God and he misses stuff. Dont think I m being obsessive or arrogant, there really is an issue about abuse of the board.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:13 PM

from Marty-
QUOTE: been this way forever. not really worse lately, just a basic fact of message boards. email me if you are ever suspicious.
Posted By: seashell

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:17 PM

GwenA, I've been on this board for years, you haven't seen the half of it. Chillax. If you find yourself suspicious, email Marty or pm one of the admins.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:22 PM

Pulease, chillax, yourselves. I'm not worried, I don't have the problems you think I do. I have been in touch with Marty. And I'm so sorry I have to say that.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:25 PM

Oh, retired Jesse, how old is that quote? They aren't good forever! Things change!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:30 PM

Retired forever Gwen. Why is that a problem for you?

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:31 PM

i agree with Gwen that there has been a rush of fake people the last week. i have cancelled like a dozen fake names. and yes gwen has been helpful in sniffing them out.... gracias....

it goes round and round...

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:35 PM

Thanks, Marty.
I was beginning to feel like one of those local potlickers, that was jumped on by a few pit bulls.
If you don't know, you don't know !

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:36 PM

sorry, i was out for awhile!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:38 PM

Well, you better pay attention, Marty smile
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/12/11 11:49 PM

Wait, there is no such thing as ceviche fishing??? Tulu used to take me out for hours ceviche fishing! We never caught any but the conversation and beverages were great, I just chalked it up to bad luck. Wait till I see him next year..... laugh

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:02 AM

that Tulu.... he sure sold you a bill huh?

:>

Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:46 AM

Okay guys, trolls want to disrupt and they want attention. Lets cut off the attention, starting now. Onto more productive discussions and tasks pls.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:49 AM

Heres a message from out new expert- GwenA: Are you kidding about September? More businesses were closed last September than ever!
Would you like to take bets and put down money on this September? Stop misleading the tourists!

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:49 AM

Katie! You must be very powerful! Thats what this thread has been requesting. It hasn't happened so far...should we hold our breath because you said so?

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Katie Valk
Okay guys, trolls want to disrupt and they want attention. Lets cut off the attention, starting now. Onto more productive discussions and tasks pls.

Yeah Marty, please behave yourself.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:54 AM

Yes.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:56 AM

Calling around...can't find any that will close
Posted By: Luvinlife

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 12:56 AM

Quit being mean Gwen. You said yourself you don't like the meanness going on, however you do it. Hmmmmm. just stop.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 01:05 AM

This is the wrong post to check on which restaurants will be open five months from now! This hasnt got anything to do with meaness! It's about stupid.

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 01:10 AM

Which post is acceptable to you, my queen?

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by GwenA
This is the wrong post to check on which restaurants will be open five months from now! This hasnt got anything to do with meaness! It's about stupid.

I sure hope she's not talking about me! shocked
Posted By: klcman

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 01:25 AM

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh. This thread is beginning to read like mini-chat! whistle

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 01:31 AM

yeah its gonna vanish soon.

minichat has calmed down. a few bans will do that!
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 02:07 AM

smile LOL @ KLC....

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 02:09 AM

No comment smile
Posted By: reaper

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 02:21 AM

Time to fire up that old 'Wrastl'n" thread I think....
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 02:24 AM

WHHHOOOOHHHOOOOOO Reaper !!!!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 03:31 AM

There are trolls and there are those who don't realize they are trolls :P
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 03:36 AM

Hey look a baby giraffe!
Posted By: klcman

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 03:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaoxI1DO6Sk&feature=related

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 04:04 AM

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off -topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, ...
Uhoh, I'm suddenly feeling guilty!
Posted By: SimonB

Re: TROLL EPIDEMIC ALERT - 04/13/11 04:14 AM

No worries, there's a difference between posting inflammatory posts that are beneficial to the community and those that are not.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board