Posted By: bobcat bill

This Day - 05/27/13 10:41 AM

Remember those that fought for our freedom
Posted By: Rykat

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 01:30 PM

For sure!!!!
Posted By: Bobber

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 01:57 PM

Never forget. Freedom isn't free. Bless all those who went before, and all those who will go after.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 02:36 PM

Not much support here frown
Posted By: clover

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 06:58 PM

Just got back from the local Memorial Day service....humbling. Ernie, veterans don't have to be reminded about this day, and the rest of em don't care......it is what it is. Duty, honor, country...(even the Republicans) Semper fi, and fair winds and following seas, to The United States Navy and their own ground forces branch, the Marines wink
Posted By: Bobber

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 07:45 PM

The Sheepdogs by Russ Vaughn

Most humans truly are like sheep
Wanting nothing more than peace to keep
To graze, grow fat and raise their young,
Sweet taste of clover on the tongue.
Their lives serene upon Life’s farm,
They sense no threat nor fear no harm.
On verdant meadows, they forage free
With naught to fear, with naught to flee.
They pay their sheepdogs little heed
For there is no threat; there is no need.
To the flock, sheepdog’s are mysteries,
Roaming watchful round the peripheries.
These fang-toothed creatures bark, they roar
With the fetid reek of the carnivore,
Too like the wolf of legends told,
To be amongst our docile fold.
Who needs sheepdogs? What good are they?
They have no use, not in this day.
Lock them away, out of our sight
We have no need of their fierce might.
But sudden in their midst a beast
Has come to kill, has come to feast
The wolves attack; they give no warning
Upon that calm September morning
They slash and kill with frenzied glee
Their passive helpless enemy
Who had no clue the wolves were there
Far roaming from their Eastern lair.
Then from the carnage, from the rout,
Comes the cry, “Turn the sheepdogs out!”
Thus is our nature but too our plight
To keep our dogs on leashes tight
And live a life of illusive bliss
Hearing not the beast, his growl, his hiss.
Until he has us by the throat,
We pay no heed; we take no note.
Not until he strikes us at our core
Will we unleash the Dogs of War
Only having felt the wolf pack’s wrath
Do we loose the sheepdogs on its path.
And the wolves will learn what we’ve shown before;
We love our sheep, we Dogs of War.

Russ Vaughn
2d Bn, 327th Parachute Infantry Regiment

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 10:15 PM

Marines are a part of the Dept of the Navy......................... the Mens Dept smile

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 10:19 PM

LOL Whenever you boys needed a ride...who did you call??? Your big brothers in the Nav laugh

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:25 PM

Oh Yeah ! You were more than happy to drop us off, the n run like hell, drink coffee, smoke cigars, take fresh water showers and eat hot meals. Love you guys !!!

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:27 PM

BTW, Thank you BobcatBill for bringing this to the front page.
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:43 PM

Today, while driving around doing some errands and listening to satellite radio in my ride, the broadcaster made some cool comments about honoring those (and their families) that have served the U.S. in order to preserve our freedoms....they had a moment of silence and then played a short, but really good rendition of Taps....loved it!

Now, its time for the BBQ! smile

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:50 PM

"TAPS" is so sad I will refrain.

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:52 PM

It is somber E, but also a beautiful and very traditional tribute in its own way....just as it should be.

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:56 PM

or the playing of Amazing Grace on the bag pipes

Re: This Day - 05/27/13 11:56 PM

LM, If you knew how many of my team mate I stood for than solom tribute , you too would cry. It is a special day for me.

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 12:01 AM

Amen E, sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

I have never heard a broadcaster stop and pause in the middle of good rock and roll, with such a compelling statement, followed by the traditional song...like I said, it was pretty special, so I mentioned it....

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 12:04 AM

Thanks !
Posted By: Wizardofaahs

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 03:40 AM

KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

Thanks to Abstrakt Goldsmith for this nugget of history that most of us never learned in school.

There is a very great picture to go along with this story at:
https://www.facebook.com/moveon

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 09:07 AM

Wizzard, there are many versions of Memorial Days origin. Yours is just one.

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 11:19 AM

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Always question the Progressive slant!
Posted By: ragman

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 11:56 AM

You know I have never thought of Memorial Day as a Black and White thing. I served with a good number of Blacks and all of us are brothers with never a thought of race. The armed services are one place that is race neutral, at least in modern times.

Why someone would chose to bring this up and to send people to a partisan political site is a little troublesome. I guess the Progresses, if you are one, just can’t miss a chance to divide Americans. In a few minutes of reading on that site I see several issues where they are trying to do just that on several issues and it is sad that now Memorial Day would be used in such a fashion. A MoveOn.Org site is not where you should go for information on Memorial Day. Want the real deal, talk to Ernie, Mike and the other veterans who message on this site. All of us who have different political ideas but stand united on this issue.

Personally I do not care just how Memorial Day got started. I’ll think of it as a day to remember all of men and women who serve and served in the Armed Forces and I think most veterans will remember it the same way. Maybe we should "move on" from past injustices that do not now exist and accept the day for what it is.
Posted By: Wizardofaahs

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 07:02 PM

The actual picture and article came from a .gov website. Move on just did the research and published for a wider audience.

Not a racist or race biased thing at all. Truly was honoring the dead who fought for their freedom. I get it.

My father was a WWII veteran and many in my family are military. No disrespect.

And, not really promoting anything else on the move on.org website. If you choose to read more, then that's your choice.

The meaning of fighting for our freedom and honoring the dead really becomes more clear, in my mind.

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 08:23 PM

"and published for a wider audience."
not needed for this thread, take to crap!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Re: This Day - 05/28/13 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rykat
"and published for a wider audience."
not needed for this thread, take to crap!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Leave it to a complete dittohead to decide what's appropriate on this thread. Any under educated idiot knows that there are 50 stories about the origins of Memorial Day......to take offense to one, then to assume the ability to determine the veracity or motive just shows how shallow your argument is.

The best part is Memorial Day wasn't even a holiday until 1971....but you already know that didn't you.

Take a nap in the afternoon....you need it grin

Re: This Day - 05/29/13 01:11 AM

I just loved afternoon naps. Just the other day, I napped thru Happy Hour,that really pi**me off. No more naps !

Re: This Day - 05/29/13 01:28 AM

Time for my long cat nap-later
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board