Precautionary Notice from NEMO:Tropical System Possible in Region - 10/10/19 05:28 PM
The National Meteorological Services of Belize and the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) are in discussion regarding ongoing computer models which are predicting that a tropical system could develop within our region, close to Belize somewhere near to Honduras/Nicaragua by the weekend or very early next week. The models will be better able to predict the possibility for the development of a tropical system and a projected path between today and the upcoming days. The Met Office will be consulting with the National Hurricane Centre and will back brief NEMO today.
All are advised to increase your state readiness for possible tropical cyclone activity, i.e. tropical depression, tropical storm or hurricane. The NEMO Emergency Hotline is 936.
This precautionary notice serves to give the public as much lead time as possible in the event a tropical system does in fact develops. NEMO at this juncture based on what the models are forecasting prefer to err on the side of caution. Weather systems are very unpredictable and the weather situation can change rapidly especially during the month of October.
Advance warning to people in flood-prone areas, farmers, fishers, and people on the islands remain vigilant and be prepared.
The National Meteorological Service will continue to study the models and consult with the National Hurricane Center. NEMO will keep the general public updated on any further developments. The public is advised to stay alert. NEMO across the country has been placed on alert as we continue to plan for the worst whilst we continue to hope and pray for the best. Please adhere to the official releases from the National Met Service and NEMO.
NEMO's Emergency Coordinators can be reached as follows:
• Corozal, Mr. Ronnie Hernandez at 614 7140;
• Orange Walk, Mr. Aragon at 615 2264; or Mr. Leiva at 614 7177
• Belize District, Mr. Alphius Gillett at 614 4735;
• San Pedro, Ms. Vanessa Parham at 614 5865;
• Belize City, Mr. Al Westby at 614 8604 or Mr. Pollard at 6143244;
• Belmopan, Ms. Clare Moody at 614 5705; or Mr. Eiley at 624 2365
• Cayo, Mr. Al Westby at 6148604 or Mr. Johnny Ramclam at 614 5891;
• Stann Creek (Coastal- Dangriga including Mullins River to Independence), Mr. Kevin Flores at 604 3632
• Stann Creek (Interior- Hummingbird and Southern highway communities), Mr. David Cruz at 614 8514; and
• Toledo, Mr. Kenton Parham at 614 2158 or Mr. Dennis Williams at 614 2393
For more information, check the daily Tropical Weather Outlook, click here