AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Maya population of Belize - 09/29/03 02:52 PM
interesting info from Lan:
============
The latest stats I see are that 11% of the Belize population is of Maya heritage. With an estimated 2003 population of 266,000, that would put the Maya population of Belize at a little over 29,000.

Of course not all those 29,000 have milpas, and many who are not Maya do. So Ray's estimate of 40,000 is probably in the ballpark.

FYI the latest figures show that Mestizos will soon make up a majority of Belizeans:

The Belize population, 2003:

Mestizo: 49%
Creoles: 25%
Maya: 11%
Garifuna: 6%
Other: 9%

The number of Mestizos is probably actually higher, since many who come in from Gautemala are not counted in censuses.

With the continued growth of Hispanic culture in Belize, and continued high birth rates and immigration by this group, I think it's only a matter of time before Spanish becomes, if not the official language, at least the dominant one.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Maya population of Belize - 09/29/03 04:00 PM
Of the "Other," I wonder what percentage is Chinese? It's my understanding -- and if you view the billboards around Belize City you'll see emperical evidence -- that Belize has experienced a major influx of Chinese emigrees.
Posted By: chismera Re: Maya population of Belize - 09/29/03 04:22 PM
Not many Chinese have actually settled in Belize. Most got their passport and went to Canada or Europe. The housing developments all sit empty.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board