AmbergrisCaye.com Home

San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings

Posted By: Marty

San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 06:32 PM

San Pedro’s First Department Store
Wings

San Pedro’s first department store WINGS opened its doors last week Friday, December 16, 2005. Hundreds flocked to the store which carries a variety of items much like Mirab in Belize City, but focuses on name-brand clothing for all ages at low prices. The store is part of a chain of stores in Belize City and the Corozal Free Zone, which include the Bellagio and Mirage.

“I feel like I am in Chetumal shopping,” commented one customer waiting in line to make a purchase. The store is the only department store on the island and one of the largest.
Posted By: RMT

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 07:02 PM

Where on the island is it located? Thanks...
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 07:08 PM

It is near the airport. I thought they had great prices, comparative to the states.

They carrried Nike, NFL brand, Ralph Lauren for ladies... whatelse... I think Guess... a nice selection of shoes. They DID NOT have Reef flip flops but perhaps they'll start carrying them...
Posted By: RMT

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 07:11 PM

Thanks TQ...I bet it will be great for the locals to have more of a selection.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 07:23 PM

it's in the big building across from Monchos...remember where San
Pedro Hardware was before (was pink) and belonged to Simon Harmouche? It is
now wings and painted an off white...nice exterior...
they have cool clothes and sneakers...
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 07:23 PM

Counterfiet clothing
Posted By: ambergrishog

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 08:09 PM

What is your proof as to the authenticity of the clothing. Let capitalism reign. Let the people decide. Wow. Thats a concept. Instead of the macho ideofaschist idealism that you spew, why not let the people decide. What a concept.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 08:21 PM

Whoa! I can't confirm whether or not the items are "authentic". I was just a browser... looking for flip flops (always shopping for flip flops)! However, the RL and NFL jerseys looked "real" to me! smile
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 08:23 PM

Not all counterfit - more like "after market". Kinda like when you buy a "stripped" book - only it comes in all different colours and sizes.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 08:41 PM

It is all counterfit. You think the real item is going to sell for those prices? Not that I mind, I buy it all the time in Belize. The GOB even confiscated several containers of the stuff and gave it to the prison. That way they did not have to buy the guys any clothes. I laughed the first day I went in and saw everyone in the prison wearing designer labels and clothes!!
Posted By: angelinthesky

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 08:59 PM

It says made in china. hellllllllooooooo, fake
Posted By: michellewilliams

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:03 PM

Where does it say this? My friend in San Pedro says the brands are labeled be it fake or real, the clothes don't say "made in CHINA"! Duh!
Posted By: angelinthesky

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:15 PM

It does underneath the brand name. check it out.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:16 PM

Caveat emptor. Who cares? A bargain or deal is in the eyes of the beholder. Too many gangsters doing dirty deeds. Raise up your glasses against evil forces. Something is better than nothing. And nothing is well........like it used to be. Chill

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:20 PM

What? If I buy something I want to know if its fake or if it isn't. Not all of us will just settle for a deal. I want to know if my $300 coach purse I bought for my relative is legit! If not I don't want it!
Posted By: Florida Gal

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:23 PM

Almost everything I'm buying in the States says "made in China"...so maybe that means it's the real stuff????

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:27 PM

It is all counterfit, same stuff you buy on the sidewalks in NY. Anybody can sew a sticker or glue on an emblem. 99% of goods that come into Belize today come through China or Taiwan.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:29 PM

Just why do you think Taiwan just bailed the GOB out to the tune of 50 billion, no one else will loan them any more money.

Apologize for the typo 50 million bailout
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

not everything says made in China. Not everthing is fake. I know someone who bought a digital camera there, took it back to the states and Best Buy said it was the real product, They even got the warranty on it and it was granted and verified by the company no problem.

Not all of the items there are fake, no way. Perhaps some yes. And good point FLorida gal, lol, half the stuff we get in the states says MADE IN CHINA so is our stuff fake too! lol.

When I return to the states I should buy something and try to take it directly back to the store in the states, see what they say.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:31 PM

btw, kind of a dumb arguement. The thread was to inform that we have a new dept store so if you need things you could never get in SP before now you can...or at least have a place to look for it at.

Fake or real...who cares? If it looks fake to you and you want real don't buy it. If you think an item is real, buy it.

The point is, it is nice to have a dept store here and more items available to us.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:33 PM

If it seems to be too good of a deal, it most likely is. If you buy a $300 Coach purse on Times Square or Wings for $50 it most likely is a fake. Common sense...what a concept. Hey gringo, I have a box of Cuban Monticristos for $150. They do not even sell them for that in Havana. If you are looking to make the deal of the century....beware. I do agree that if a legit establishment is pushing fakes, something should be done. Disclosure.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:36 PM

Well duh. I just meant that if one gets Nike shoes in the states for $150, authentic and gets a pair in San Pedro for $130, fake, which would you rather have???

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 09:53 PM

If they both fit the same and feel the same.......Suppose it is our penchant to buy the brand. The real issue is why would someone pay $150 for a pair of tennis shoes? However, best I can tell, the fakes are typically way lower than the real deal. Times they are a changing??
Posted By: ckocian

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 10:02 PM

There are African guys in all the hot spot outdoor markets selling the knockoff purses and sunglasses in Europe. Our guides told us not to even slow down and cast a glance their way and for sure not to touch anything because there is a 3,000 euro fine. I don't know how the vendors get away without being penalized but the shoppers and buyers will be.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 10:02 PM

You need to look at the quality and craftsmanship of the products. I had some friends in the garment biz take a look at some of the designer clothes at Wings and in their opinions most of the clothes were legit.

BTW, most of the decent designer clothes that we buy are actually made in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador etc which is where most of these clothes are coming from, via the Panama distribution centre.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 10:08 PM

Originally posted by ambergrishog:
The real issue is why would someone pay $150 for a pair of tennis shoes?
This is just your opinion. Some people pay more for their clothes and expect to get good wear from them. Other people by crap- and get crap. Those same people (me inculded) don't shed a tear when the crap craps out. I have bought a pair of shoes for $5, $30, $150, and $350.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 10:09 PM

Very good point Amanda!

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 11:54 PM

The Coach bags are fake. A good look inside the item will prove this. The clothing are also knock-offs. The electronics are real - most likely refurbished.

The group of companies that own Wings is called Mirage. What a great name!

I bought some Perry Ellis pants for wedding at Wings. I love em', great fit, nice and light, worked well the occasion and will probably use them again. But they are fake. Doesn't matter to much as the price was right as well.

Wouldn't buy sneakers, expensive hand bags or electronics though. You get what you pay for.

SIN

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/29/05 11:59 PM

Check out:

Six Meat Buffet - where the mentally obese belly up to the buffet of Truth.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:01 AM

yes amanda does have a good point.

look at the quality and decide for yourself. I too would not want to pay $300 and get a fake. I would care if I spent a lot and got a fake. However, go with your judgement on the item if it looks like good quality and if you question it move on and buy it somewhere else! And sure, if it is toooo cheap or different than the real produce than you should know like SIN says about coach bags.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:17 AM

It is absolute shite-rubbish quality-would someone please open a shop with good quality clothes that fit slightly overweight Brits.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:19 AM

what would you like, next time I go to the states I will gladly pick you up a few items you need that you can not get here. You have done kind things for me in the past.

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:23 AM

everything i buy in the usa is made in china pretty much. they are real. i guess.

:>

can you fake a fake?

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:24 AM

damn Brits. get on a diet Pedro
Smack thats a kiss

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:26 AM

not everyone likes skinny men wink

Re: San Pedro’s First Department Store, Wings - 12/30/05 12:30 AM

thank god.