AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Woz surges - 06/19/02 04:59 PM
I've been reading about the unpredictable power supplies in Belize. Seems that they are notorious for frying computers, appliances, and unsuspecting people walking under power lines. Found an artical in the Help section on this site.

Looked for the adjustable voltage protector that was recomended here but haven't found one yet.

My concern is for my laptop, printer, and scanner. How bad is the power there? How do other people deal with the surges? Any recomendations?
Posted By: KC Re: surges - 06/19/02 06:26 PM
Woz,
I think they are talking about a UPS (uninterrupted power source). I believe they even out the power, and also give you a few minutes to shut down if the power goes out. I would certainly have on on my computer, if I ever get it down there.

Kathy
Posted By: bywarren Re: surges - 06/19/02 09:45 PM
Power is horrible. Get the best surge protector you can find.
Posted By: ChilledOut Re: surges - 06/20/02 02:51 AM
In general I would say the power is pretty good both in town and just to the north (before the river cut) - can't speak for anywhere else. But certainly a UPS is the best thing for your computer, much better than a surge protector as it provides battery power when the electric dips and it gives you time to shut the machine down properly when the mains goes completely. Most have 3-4 power outlets on the back so you can connect the machine, screen, printer and scanner.
Posted By: ljacks Re: surges - 06/20/02 03:47 AM
After having lost 4 vcr's in 3 years ... I now have ups's on all important electronic equipment. power is not reliable and subjust to fluctuations.
Posted By: Woz Re: surges - 06/20/02 05:39 AM
THANKS every one. I went out and bought a UPS AVR. Any other surprizes Belize has to offer? Do they have 3 prong outlets to plug the UPS into? Or do I need an adaptor? If I do, can I get it there?
Posted By: ChilledOut Re: surges - 06/21/02 12:50 AM
To my knowledge three prong US sockets are standard.
Posted By: cambriagal Re: surges - 06/30/02 07:41 PM
A UPS is a must, we just experienced afull on power out, some one hit a tree, we had at least 10minutes to shut down. A life saver.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board