AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BettyGib Phones - 11/20/02 04:20 AM
I understand that the phone system is changing in December. What do you suggest for a phone around Christmas? Are fixed cells still available in the Placencia area? Is is best to rent a phone at Christmas and figure out something else the next time we come? Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Phones - 11/20/02 03:10 PM
Most resorts/hotels will let you use the office phones. Just be sure to purchase a prepaid card before coming down. There are also payphones available in Belize......Richard
Posted By: BettyGib Re: Phones - 11/21/02 03:16 AM
Thanks, Richard. We actually hope to be staying at our new almost completed house in the Placencia area so we aren't planning to be at a resort. We have rented a phone from Lewis car rental before and will probably just do that again, but we were thinking that buying one if we knew what to buy might make sense.
Posted By: Short Re: Phones - 11/29/02 07:57 AM
Well, we know what BTL stone looks like. As far as I can see it's a 3rd generation system, while the rest of the world (already in Japan) is getting ready for generation #5.
Posted By: David C Re: Phones - 12/17/02 03:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cellular Industry.com:

Sometime in December you will need a GSM unlocked handset. BTL has not set this in stone ...

I will be arriving in early January. Can you be more specific about how to obtain cellphone service in San Pedro?

THanks,
David C
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Phones - 12/17/02 04:02 AM
Easy. Go to the BTL office. Take $$, your passport and patience. Good humour helps too.
Posted By: David C Re: Phones - 12/19/02 03:28 AM
Is there an office in San Pedro? Or should I try to get one at the international airport when I arrive? Even better, is it possible to purchase one before I arrive and have it sent to me in the US?
Posted By: BettyGib Re: Phones - 12/19/02 03:29 AM
Thanks, Jack, for your offer. Since we've procrastinated, we'll rent a phone at Christmas and consider your offer for our next trip in the spring. Does your service work throughout the country?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Phones - 12/20/02 04:32 PM
BTL sent subscribers a notice that the digital service would go into effect on December 14 2002. They also said that the "old" system would remain for three years, allowing time for the change over. I have learned not to jump on new BLT systems until they have worked out the problems.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board