AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Moving To Belize

Posted By: Wild Horse

Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 04:12 PM

The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 04:26 PM

Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn
Posted By: klcman

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 04:50 PM

eek
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 04:52 PM

That was mighty nice of you there Pedro. I am proud. NO, I do not believe it. smile Whats the catch?

Good Luck to you Wild Horse!!! Best wishes and happy moving. smile
Posted By: Wild Horse

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 05:04 PM

Quote
Originally posted by Pedro1:
Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn
Thanks Pedro. I ordered one last week. I hear a word of caution in your post. We have visited San Pedro a couple of times and we like the place. The land is affordable and right on the ocean. The beach may not be like the Gulf coast of Florida, but I think I can live with that. The builder tells me I can build a pier a couple of hundred feet in the ocean. I am happy with that. Should I be aware of something?

Thanks again
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 05:56 PM

Be aware on Ambergris, just as you would be back home USA, when buying and/or building. Listen to your own gut feelings, and then check those feelings out, with the authorities.

Plan your work, and work your plan. Remember "less is more" in Paradise.

Keep a cool hand on your money, do not get carried away with the wonderful Paradise feeling.

Take it slow and easy, you will do just fine.
Posted By: tincup

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 06:04 PM

We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.
Posted By: Wild Horse

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/12/03 06:11 PM

Quote
Originally posted by tincup:
We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.
Thanks, Tincup. I had read in one of Lan's on line newspaper regarding buying property in Belize that they have two prices for property, one for Belizeans and the other for the Gringos. We got lucky and picked up some acerage for under 1000/front foot just about 5 miles north of SP.

We are planning to keep our home in the US and will probably spend the summer months here.
Posted By: blk chine

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/18/03 05:10 AM

Quote
Originally posted by Wild Horse:
The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: blk chine

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/18/03 05:17 AM

I'm plannig on moving to San Pedro in may or june for few month's and i was wondering what rent was like for an apartment or maybe a 2 bedroom house. I like the apartments that are kind of close to Banyon Bay. What's reasonable for rent? Is there anything inparticular i should know?
Thanks for the help guys!
Posted By: indygal

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/18/03 10:54 PM

I have been looking for rental for 2 months next winter. The one that seems the most promising is Coral Reef Villas. They quoted me $600mn for a 1 bedroom and $900 for a 2BR. You have use of Banyon Bay facilities, which are a 3 minute walk. Looked good to me but I have not seen it with my own eyes.
Bannana Beach quoted me $2,200 for a 1 br suite, I would asume it is small. And that price was for winter-could be consideraly less for summer.
I have been turned down alot because I want to come in season. You will probably do better. If I get anymore replys that look good I'll pass them on. My husband and I will be down May 8 to 15. Would be nice to meet you.
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/18/03 11:08 PM

The Coral Reef villas for $600US per month for a 1 BR or $900US for a 2BR isn't so bad during high season. They are modern and well built, right on the beach in a cool area of town (I love the san telmo area and the mar de tumbo beach). The Banyan Bay is really nice-great pool, restaurant, beach stretch.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/19/03 02:11 AM

Miss Anthopy are you maybe thinking of Coral Bay Villas? They are on the beach. The web site for Coral Reef Villas says it is a couple minute walk to the beach.
Posted By: BelizeWater

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/19/03 05:09 PM

FYI incase anyone is interested, The Fishers (they make Sangrea(sp?) de Maya, live in Tres Cocos with a nice view of the Palapa bar, and they are renting out the bottom of their house...thinks its a two bedroom, 1200sqft. I believe the rent is only $600us per month.

Its a nice area but not great if you plan to party every night as the ferry stops at 8pm. You can always take a water taxi back to the Palapa bar though laugh When there is a will there is a way!!!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/20/03 10:19 PM

The Hideaway Hotel offers attractive monthly rates. I do not know specifics. It all depends on what is available and your needs. I live part-time here in San Pedro and part-time in St Louis. I'm always fighting the urge to make a permanent move, but I find it is nice to go back to my "roots", and be with old friends and my Italian Cars. With some of the negative about San Pedro, I still AM in wonder of the paradise I find myself. I've been coming here since 1985, so this is not the first bloom of love. PS. We do need some more "live one's" here!!
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/20/03 10:28 PM

WELL Tighten your straps up Bill Thornton, I'll be there next Friday. Join me at the Hideaway Sat. night and help me celebrate my birthday !
Ernie
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/21/03 02:29 PM

You're right, i was thinking of Coral Bay Villas. Sorry! No wonder it sounded like a great deal. Not familiar with Coral Reef Villas I don't guess, unless they are one of those apt. complexes on Coconut Drive heading South?
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/21/03 08:45 PM

Hi Ernie: Let me check my social calendar. I misplaced it acouple of years ago. Take care: Bill
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Moving To Belize - 04/25/03 08:49 PM

Hi Ernie: My fellow St Louisian Ray told me that your hard to keep up with... From Ray, that's a GREAT compliment!! See ya Saturday night: Bill
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board