AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Any Breaks on Duties ?

Posted By: Mel S

Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 03:30 PM

My wife and myself lived in Belize in the 1980's, and now we just pop in and visit when we can. We have considered moving back to belize or Mexico when our daughter gets out of highschool and [or] college. Have the Belizean gov. changed the laws to allow the early-retirement people and investors group to give them a break on these astronomical importation duties ? Vehicles, boats, and almost everything seems to be slammed by these taxes. Mexico has series of FM immigration status, and gives American expats some breaks so they will consider living in Mexico. The retiring south of the border is having a blooming industry. Best-Wishes, mel S....
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 03:42 PM

http://www.customs.gov.bz/duty.html

Hope this helps!!!
Jackie

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 04:03 PM

Originally posted by o jackie:
http://www.customs.gov.bz/duty.html

Hope this helps!!!
Jackie
Thanks ! There is quite a bit of info in this website. welcome North belize's website, has tables with vehicle's values attached to the duties. I enjoy your chat-room O-Jackie, it works great. My typing skills are faulty and slow, so chat rooms are a real challenge for me. Thanks again, mel s.......
Posted By: o jackie

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 04:15 PM

You are welcome and thank you!!!!

Jackie
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 09:37 PM

Mel,

The Qualified Retired Persons Incentive Act that went into effect a couple of years ago does help, with tax-free entry of a vehicle, boat, airplane and household goods. And since it's administered by the Belize Tourist Board it offers quick approval. But it has been only modestly successful in attracting retirees so far. Some people don't like being locked into depositing US$2000 a month into a Belize bank. And others, like Sr. Rick who runs Belize North, want to be able to work so they get regular residency.

--Lan Sluder <among my books are Adapter Kit: Belize which is on living, retiring and buying property in Belize)
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/24/03 10:00 PM

confused

Re: Any Breaks on Duties ? - 04/25/03 05:55 AM

Originally posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First:
Mel,

The Qualified Retired Persons Incentive Act that went into effect a couple of years ago does help, with tax-free entry of a vehicle, boat, airplane and household goods. And since it's administered by the Belize Tourist Board it offers quick approval. But it has been only modestly successful in attracting retirees so far. Some people don't like being locked into depositing US$2000 a month into a Belize bank. And others, like Sr. Rick who runs Belize North, want to be able to work so they get regular residency.

--Lan Sluder <among my books are Adapter Kit: Belize which is on living, retiring and buying property in Belize)
Lan, thanks for the info ! best-wishes, mel.....
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board