AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Nick Barton water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 04:54 PM
Our house in Buena Vista on North A.C. is nearing completion - we gather is has been a dry 'wet' season so far (if that makes sense).

If we do not have sufficient water in the cistern (collected from the roof) to last through December - July I understand there are ways of getting water delivered in containers by boat, which can be pumped into the cisterns. Does anyone have advice, experience, details, comments, costings, other ideas ( we don't particularly want to invest in a whole water purification system if we can avoid it)

Thanks

Nick
Posted By: klcman Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 05:09 PM
"Don't Stop The Carnival"
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 05:13 PM
Nick
you will be fine now as the wet season has a long way to go-my suggestion for the future would be to build another cistern which is not that an expensive item or buy some of the large heavy duty plastic tanks (around 1000bzd each)
Posted By: tincup Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 05:29 PM
Nick - We are building just to the north of White Sands and have a 39,000 gal cistern. How big a cistern did you build? Our plan is to go thru our first year or two, then go with an RO system as we add more buildings with a feed off our main tank. If you are going to rent your place out and you find the tank you have is insufficient Pedro's idea of building another tank is a good one. I think White Sands is putting in an RO system, but I don't know what their current water collection system is (maybe you could buy water from them?). Rains usually last into Dec/Jan so you are looking at max 5 months with no additional supply.
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 06:43 PM
A point to remember -Pedro always has good ideas
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 06:52 PM
Usually half of the rainfall for the whole year comes in Oct-Nov-Dec so you have time to collect.
Alvaro at the Essene Way delivers water to empty cisterns. That's nearby and do-able.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/28/03 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the feedback - our cisterns total about 34,000 gallons so it is not the size of them that I was worried about but rather filling them up - your comments are re-assuring re rainfall timing - I guess I'll wait and see how we go over the next 4 months - funny for an englishman to be wishing for more rain!
Posted By: Pedro1 Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/29/03 12:03 AM
Nick - bugger the water -make sure you never run out of cold beer.
Posted By: Tippy Re: water supplies to north AC - 09/29/03 04:49 PM
Hi Nick

We run a small restaurant and have 3 bedrooms upstairs which holds 2 of us and 3 kids.

We used between 7000-8000 gallons a month for both of them.

Tippy
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board