AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: specv Internet Access on AC - 01/27/04 10:32 PM
Good news that BTL now has DSL in San Pedro Town. There are several speed/costs.

I'd like to use this post to understand the cost and benifits of all access types available on AC. No bias, or pandering here. Peter, Cris, Ivo and others please help by posting. I'll edit my first post when I have exact details on costs, speeds and contacts. My intrest is both home and office types of access.

I just want to IM chat with my mom without it costing an arm and a leg. Jeff laugh

BTL Dial-up: It's a love hate relationship. More to do with the current mail problems than anything else. Seemed over subscibed (too many users for the link) in my recent three week visit. Connect rate was 44600kbps all the time. Requires a landline phone line.

BTL DSL: New service with several connection rates. I've email BTL for details. Post your opinions here, what rate do you have? What is the manufacturer of the modem. Your general opinion. Static IP or Dynamic??? Cost??? Distance from the central office matters. Only works with landline phone line.

Satellite: Starband and Directway have been in use for a couple years. Speed up is 120kbps??? and down is 400kbps???. Requires 6' dish/mount/pole/install for about $2000us. Monthly service fee is $130us. Doesn't require landline phone line.
Posted By: Chris Re: Internet Access on AC - 01/28/04 02:02 AM
You want to IM with your mother? 64K BTL DSL, 50US a month 24/7 connection, your phone line stays free at all times.
Posted By: specv Re: Internet Access on AC - 01/29/04 12:20 AM
Thanks Chris
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board