AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Any experiences you want to share?

Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Any experiences you want to share? - 01/10/05 12:48 AM

I'm in the middle of updating and revising one of my books on Belize -- Adapter Kit: Belize. The new edition, out later this year from Avalon, will be retitled Living Abroad in Belize (part of a series of Living Abroad titles).

Anyone here have any recent experiences, good or bad, about moving or planning a move to Belize that they are willing to share? Also interested in hearing from people who have visited Belize to buy real estate or to go to college or med school.

How did you decide on Belize? Was the reality up to your expectations? What did you like or not like about Belize? Any surprises? What have you learned from your time in Belize?

If you have any comments or will agree to an interview, you can reach me by e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks!

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: kerry

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/12/05 05:57 AM

hi lan...would love to help you with your new book...your books have helped me in the past....will email u and hope we can chat....take care....kerry

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/13/05 02:54 PM

Thanks. Drop me a note at [email protected] if you get a chance.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: BDinAZ

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/19/05 12:16 AM

Lan,

How long does it take for your book to reach the Southwest US? I ordered it on 1/4 and still haven't received it.

Thanks
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/20/05 07:33 PM

the book is obviously on Belizean time
Posted By: mim

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 02:05 AM

Thank you Lan for all of your input on this message board which is such a wonderful resource. It also makes clear the warm inviting spirit of the area. I have been looking into Belize for investment and the starting of a craft oriented business venture. I do have to admit that the recent tax increases and unrest has me far more cautious at the moment. I do agree with one statement that it sounds a lot like America under Bush but on a smaller scale. I know that here in Portsmouth N.H. taxes are continuing to rise constantly without better "services." Recently parking downtown alone did a triple hitter increasing the amount of tickets, increasing the times meters must be fed, and lowering the value of you quarter 33.3%. None of us are immune anywhere ...
Mim

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 02:34 AM

BD in AZ,

Where did you order it from? Amazon.com?

I don't think I have a record of any order direct from you. E-mail me at [email protected] with details.

--Lan Sluder

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 04:19 AM

Lan,

We received it this past Saturday.

It is an excellent resource, well written and in-depth. Looking forward to the update and it's companion.

We ordered it from the AC.com website. Right side of page 1/2 way down.

Thanks again.
Posted By: coopersworkshop

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 02:35 PM

Lan, you have a lot of energy writing, and responding to emails etc.

My friend and I are just getting the Belize Bug - I'm heading down this weekend and will def. want to check the real estate scene for house or property that we can partly rent out, but I wonder about being absentee landlord most of year.

I notice there are many businesses for sale. Why?
Posted By: Catatonic Motivator

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 03:50 PM

Well Lan, since your post has been hijacked from the start, I'll continue the trend.

I find it absolutely incredible that someone would intentionally inject US politics into a post that was originally a request for input regarding living in Belize. What is even more disturbing is that the poster has absolutely nothing of value to say regarding your request (nor do I, and I'm taking liberties by continuing the abuse) but makes no bones about adding his or her opinion.

The only reason I don't own property on AC is that my accountant, a trusted advisor, has a deep aversion to off-shore ownership. But I'm working on him and am interested in hearing the input you seek...without prejudiced commentary.

Thanks for your efforts. Now, can we get on with it and hear from those of you with relevant experiences?

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 11:31 PM

sorry catatonic (motivator?)
I do believe that part of Lan's question was
"How did you decide on Belize?"
This is my first message board, and I may have made a mistake referencing another thread in which Lan continues to be an invaluable source on Belizian information, which quite frankly should bear impact on a decision to invest in Belize for me as well as anyone paying attention.
Mim

Were my impressions of the warm inviting spirit incorrect?

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/25/05 11:53 PM

How *did* you decide on Belize? Just because it's a nice place?

Your impression is correct. I don't live there, I just visit often. Don't base your impression on me.

But starting a business there is difficult at best (it's still, at it's base, a third-world country run by fairly corrupt politicos), and requires considerably more than just applying for a license and setting up shop.

Those who compare living in the US and US politics to Belizean life and politics are making an enormous mistake. Portsmouth, NH and San Pedro have about as much in common as eggs and rain. That's something to which one should pay attention.

I wish I'd seen your on-list post before I replied to your off-list message. It would have saved us both some time, I think.

Damn. Now I think I'm even sorry I posted, except I'd like to hear some worthwhile input.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 12:17 AM

Why am I confused?
Posted By: klcman

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 12:41 AM

cuz urmissing??

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 02:11 AM

Catatonic,

It's better to be accused of hijacking a thread on a message board than actually hijacking another country(s)....

In reference to part of your statement:
"I find it absolutely incredible that someone would intentionally inject US politics into a post that was originally a request for input regarding living in Belize"

This was the thread on another section of this message board that you may not have seen:
//ambergriscaye.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=009765

After the past so called election I'm sure many people in the US will be looking at several places around the globe to become Ex-pats.
Belize certainly being one of them.

So yes, US politics do play a role here and elsewhere.
Only because the little illiterate war-monger from Texas has made it that way.

Peace.
Posted By: diversue

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Lan Sluder/Belize First:
I'm in the middle of updating and revising one of my books on Belize -- Adapter Kit: Belize. The new edition, out later this year from Avalon, will be retitled Living Abroad in Belize (part of a series of Living Abroad titles).

Anyone here have any recent experiences, good or bad, about moving or planning a move to Belize that they are willing to share? Also interested in hearing from people who have visited Belize to buy real estate or to go to college or med school.

How did you decide on Belize? Was the reality up to your expectations? What did you like or not like about Belize? Any surprises? What have you learned from your time in Belize?

If you have any comments or will agree to an interview, you can reach me by e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks!

--Lan Sluder

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 03:28 AM

i am coming down for alomost a month and would really like to meet with you. this will be my third visit and i am thinking of buying land or a house with land, and moving here, it is paradise! i love to dive, but i would really like a resort or diveshop and rest idea, do you think we might meet up and chit chat for a bit? i arrive jan 30 and dont leave until feb 25?
where could i find you?
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 03:30 AM

Lan? North Carolina usually.

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 03:51 AM

well i guess i wont be seeing him in belize this trip ah???

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 03:53 AM

seriously though Lan, i would love to talk to you about my experiences in Belize. you can contact me through my email.

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 05:57 AM

OK. I'm finished. Right after this.

Y'all (I'm originally a "southerner" from the US, so I can say that properly) go on ahead with your un-thread-related posts and I'll move on to some more literate conversations.

Good God, the original request was for experiences in moving to--or not moving to--Belize. Why would we even conceptually be referring to another thread and bending this to a political debate?

And mim, the lack of common BB etiquette (sticking with the original thread, replying only on or off the BB, et al) is a good lesson for us all.

BDinAZ, I'm not sure...well, actually I'm pretty sure...what your agenda is. Please charter an entire plane and fill it with those promise breakers who promised to leave the first time around when you depart the US for "something better". Please report back in five years or so and let us know how things have worked out.

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 08:31 AM

What has led me to my search in Belize?
a bit of a story, but, o.k.
I have a very diverse background focusing in glass art, education and holistic healthcare. Western medicine has lost my respect and I fear should be reserved for traumatic injury and absolute last resort.
My focus to date has been based greatly on eastern philosophy based modalities. A few years ago I had a couple "freaky" experiences ouside of Cancun on a trip there which initiated an interest in Maya's ancient traditions. My research has graciously led me to Dr Rosita Arvigo in Ix Chel and her amazing work. Futher , I have realized that the information I can and will eventually learn from her will not only help my clients profoundly, but myself as well. My glass art has remained a hobby that I only do at this point on a word of mouth basis. I have always said that I have more ideas than I could or would want to do myself. Specifically for Belize, at least to begin with, I have a file of "beginner" simple, easily marketable project ideas that would use as a primary glass source, empty liquor bottles..... which I would think there would be an abundance of.... unless Belize recycles...... which would both surprise and impress me.

I have been in business for myself for the past six years and have had numerous business contacts rave about Belize. I look for "serious" critisisms and find even moderate ones hard to find.

I am also finding the winter increasingly difficult physically.....so being buried in snow, timed with some investment money coming available. I started looking in California first, and yes, here it may be appropriate to admit to being a John Stewart and Daily Show fan, but nothing "felt right"
After conversations with family, I started looking outside the US which led to consider Belize beyond a visit.

Even in reading through some of the Constitution Act of Belize I am impressed in the straight forward clarity of the wording.

"Something better" for me at least, is not dependent on having more than I need materially, it would be the chance to give back.

The big hurdle for me is my youngest child who has not yet finished high school and as I do consider his education a priority. Even here the are argruments for both sides since home schooling is an option considering the life experiences. (Children are different and this individual is open to the experience, it would not be good for every child) I am still investigating this since it seems logical that there should be at least one good high school since there is a medical school.

I am planning an trip and will definately share where there are gaps between my expectations and actual experiences. At the very least, I do anticipate being impressed with the knowledge Dr Rosita has to share and it alone being a profound gift. Beyond that I am simply following the serendipity's of life, and when several start guiding in the same direction it can look like a neon sign.
~Mim

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 10:01 AM

Catatonic,

The irony of your nickname speaks volumes.

Just keep 'sippin' that Kool-Aid and try not to let your nose graze too close to the backside of your fellow sheep, y'all......
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 05:26 PM

Rosita is just the beginning, and the one who got the word out. Email me....
Posted By: SASSIK

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 01/26/05 11:48 PM

Let's see if I can address the original question, evoking the least amount of flack from the peanut gallery. I am planning on moving to AC to retire - probably in 5 years or so. Despite some of the above commentary, the tax system or political climate (US or BZE) has nothing to do with my decision.

For me it's quite simple. Four years ago my daughter and son-in-law moved to AC. They visited once and within months chucked it all here and took up residence in AC. They came from high pressure, high stress jobs and were looking for exactly what you find in AC - Belize time, bare feet and no pressure.

After having visited a lot of the world, I can honestly say that even if my offspring were not happily living here, once I experienced the warmth and hospitality of the natives, as well as fellow expats, the great food and the tropical breezes, I can't imagine going anywhere else. I visit at least twice a year; in fact, I'm on my way down in a few weeks. Feel free to come by Crazy Canucks for a cold refreshing beverage.
Posted By: glenn and cc

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 02/12/05 05:42 PM

In two weeks when we begin our first trip to Belize, I believe, will be more than a vacation but a life altering experience. I met some fabulous Belizeans in Michigan, who are now dear friends. I have done alot of research and the more I do, the more interesting the whole adventure becomes. This particular post also opened my eyes on the political side that there are people there I have alot in common with~Peace loving Democrats:)
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Any experiences you want to share? - 02/25/05 07:19 PM

I just returned from Belize, most of our 10 days were spent on Ambergris Caye but we did take the ferry to the mainland to look around for a few hours.

My boyfriend is moving to AC to start a business with his partner, I'm coming along to be with him and live an island life. I had already decided to take several years off, so I don't have the same issues that other people might have with getting a job or starting a business. Here are my issues/thoughts:

-- Do I buy or rent? Or, are there house-sitting opportunities that would not be stealing a job from a belizian? I own property in southern CA in the US, so I don't have an urgent need to own my residence. On the other hand, I'd like to have a modern home/condo with room for friends and family to come stay with us, which is expensive to rent. It *sounds* like a good deal to buy the 2-unit condos so we can live in one and rent the other one weekly when our friends aren't there, but I'm concerned about all the details. Would I end up losing more money than we'd spend if we rented? How tough will it be to sell when I want to do that? Or, can I find people who have a second home and need someone to live in it? We could move to a hotel or stay with our friends when the owners are using it.

-- As a woman, what am I in for? Will I be judged for living with a man I'm not married to? What kind of OB/GYN services are available? Is my method of birth control used/understood there, and what if I get pregnant? Infant and maternal mortality rates seem very high, but stats can be confusing and/or misleading.

-- What am I going to do every day? I love the ocean and reading, and I'm not a hyperactive person, so I'll do better than most people would. But, this is still a concern. The lack of a bookstore is a bit of a problem, but I know some engineers at amazon.com so I'll be supporting them quite a bit. Opening a bookstore is tempting, but it sounds like a retail business is overly risky. I could definitely volunteer, but I am empathetic to a fault and am a little worried that I would have trouble distancing myself in such a small town environment.

-- What is it going to be like living in such a small town? I grew up in a sleepy beach town in southern CA, but not *this* sleepy. I'm a private sort of person, but friendly. I wonder how I will do as an outsider in a small town.

-- Do I have to have a boat to be happy? My island zen comes from floating in a warm ocean, and most of the beaches aren't good for swimming. Either the water is only up to my knees, or there are too many boats, or too much grass, or all of those things. My friend told me that the water gets deeper a little ways south of town, so maybe we'll end up living at that end. Or, get a little boat to head out to the reef when I want to. My boyfriend is a diver, so this doesn't bother him at all.

There are probably a million other things. Hopefully something here was interesting to you.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board