AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Visiting San Pedro Belize

Posted By: tanganaya

Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/12/06 09:29 PM

Hi,I will be visiting San Perdo Belize next week for 2 months. Does anyone have any advise for someone who doesn't swim. What is there to do? How are the people? I'm from California( Very Diverse State), 35 yr old, Black female.
Do the people there look down on people from other States.
Posted By: Belikin Bill

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/12/06 09:50 PM

The people are great, the best part of Belize. Come and have fun.
Eat the local food at the park talk to the locals.
Take a couple of tours, the tour to Lamanai is my favorite in that you get to see a lot of different things. A lot of people have an opinion on who is the best. There is more than one good one.

Take the water taxi to caye caulker for the day, hang at the split and eat at Rasta Pasta.

Bike or golf cart to explore the the island

Do a beach bar crawl, the bars are not hard to find. If you like nightlife its there to be had.

You might just go out on a snorkel tour and watch them feed the fish.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/12/06 09:56 PM

Thanks Bill. I was down in San Pedro 5 weeks ago and didn't do anything. But I loved the island. Being from California everything is "go go go" here but, San Pedro was so relaxed and slow. I can't wait to come back next week. I may move there. How much is the average rent there? Can you tell me more about the Lamanai is the same as The Ruins Tour?
Posted By: Belikin Bill

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/12/06 10:40 PM

Tanganaya - I'm just a tourist that likes to visit San Pedro now and again. Lamanai is is one of the ruins tours - you leave early on a boat for the mainland, they furnish a fine breakfast ( rolls, small sandwiches, fresh fruits, juice and coffee) go up a small river to a little place called Bomba (sp?). Then on the little green bus for an hour then another 20-25 minute boat ride to Lamanai. Great lunch at Lamanai. Guides will
keep you informed along the way, there and back. Get back like 6 pm.

Others can tell you much more about living there. Email kra-z-k, she moved there recently and seems to understand the ecomonics of doing so. I did see what seemed to be a very nice one-bed appt for $550 US. I think it is still in the rent or sale portion of this board.
Posted By: spl

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/12/06 11:44 PM

I don't get it, you were here 5 weeks ago but are asking if the people there look down upon those from the states?? How long were you here for? When you ask is Lamanai the same as the ruins tour, what are you asking? Lamanai IS a ruin. You also mention you did not do anything here and that you do not swim. There is plenty to do there besides swim. Did you do any nightlife?
Posted By: Tillie

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 12:09 AM

When you say you were there and didn't do anything and ask about the people, what about it made you decide you might move there?

It appears from her posts that Krazy K does know quite a bit about the country, sounds like she's been through more than SP and been living there awhile now. BB has a good idea to contact her.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 12:18 AM

Tillie, I'm sorry you feel that I'm out to get more than general infomation. Or so your email implies. I was on a business trip and I didn't speak with many of the locals. Regarding moving there: When I was there 5 weeks ago I met someone that I MAY consider moving there for. Please don't worry about replying to this post because I can see where this is heading. Please know, everyone on message boards don't play games. Some of us just want info Take care
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 12:39 AM

tanganaya - there's a lot of silliness here, but there's also a lot of very good information - try using the search function above and review some old posts - it's worth the effort.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 12:54 AM

OK, everyone here that didn't meet someone that they thought they could move to Belize for (on their first trip) please take one step back.

OK, OK, everyone don't be crowding me like that. Hmm, well, whaddya make of that ... hardly anyone stepping back . . .
Posted By: deacon+

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 01:31 AM

BB is right about the apartment. I recieved pictures fron Kay Scott and it is a great deal. Cozy but great. Look under Classified adds.
Posted By: Tillie

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 01:56 AM

I am sorry dear. I never meant to harm or offend. I hope you have a wonderful time in SP if you move there. I was just confused as to why one would move there if they didn't do anything while there or know how people are there. You clearly explained.
Posted By: spl

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 02:57 AM

I wish you the best of luck as well. Did you meet a nice local man or a nice man who moved there?

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 04:30 AM

So easy to put someone down. How about getting real and helping someone.
Posted By: Sun&sand

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 12:27 PM

I agree, deacon. Seems some of the boarders are so aggressive lately. Where is the kindness? Where is that "kitty" lady and her stickers?
Posted By: streetchie

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 01:26 PM

tanagnaya, you are doing it all right, girl. come down for a few months, chill, get to know this special someone and enjoy life. san pedro is a very special place and the people are what make it that way for me. apartments can be found in the $400-$700 range (and up.) food and drink are a little more expensive. don't mind any of the negative posts found on this thread. these fools are surely still living in the states worrying about the weather and traffic rather than "living the dream" (CJ) in belize.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 01:54 PM

Amen to living the dream .come down chill out you will enjoy life make great new friends.go hang out at coconet internet cafe you will meet lots of nice local and gringo folks..the two months will fly by the and memories will be priceless..And you ask all the questions you want.Do it right and have a fun time ,life is short enjoy it....

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 02:20 PM

Thanks guys for the great suggestions and information. Tillie, no worries. I know you meant well. And I don't get offended easy smile . Talk care and who knows you probably will pass me walking down the street. I will be the one with the huge smile on face smile
See you guys next week smile
Posted By: Jackie22

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 09:11 PM

You guys make it sound so easy to move there... got me curious. What about working and making money there?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 10:05 PM

You have to bring your own money!!! wink

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 10:29 PM

So how long until Ms. Travelqueen herself moves there??? You go there enough... might as well! wink

... and if I bring my own money, I might be saving for awhile... good thing I got my IRA, and retirement compounding interest!
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:01 PM

cash them in, move down, would be nice to have you here. Bring TQ with you too. Please.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:17 PM

Jackie22, talk to me after June and I'll tell you what I learn.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:50 PM

Jackie, talk to him after June 2007. Living here is different than visiting and it takes time to learn the culture, lifestyle, etc of a new place. I am going on one year and still learning. Know some living here 2 years and still learning. Loving the learning and experience of a lifetime. The best people to talk to are people living here even longer.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:53 PM

K, getting excited about the move. Hope you are onr of the first I meet.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:56 PM

you are very kind! very nice of you to say this.

SP is a wonderful place, I love it. As any other place than where you come from there are cultural differences that take time to learn.

(just a silly and small example...if you ask someone to do something and they say "right now" what do you think they mean?)

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:57 PM

D "K, can you help me fix that?"
K "D, right now."

or

D "K, I come back right now."

what do those mean

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/13/06 11:59 PM

Eventually???

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:28 AM

yep...it means "later" "in just a bit"

I come back right now=see you later, I'll be back.

Anyways, that's just speech differences but of course there is more you learn too which I think is a great life experience and makes you grow as a person.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:40 AM

And Miss KZK, and just how do YOU know this?? wink

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:44 AM

I know from being here and in Feb a female friend replied with "right now" when I asked for something and I was puzzled as to why she later on handled it.

I know "I come back right now" since the beginning of the year hearing this and having people come back 5 hrs later...I eventually asked someone and they told me what they meant. Confirmed with my nail and hair lady and she was cracking up and confirming too.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:45 AM

now r u moving or not?

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:48 AM

See you in JUne. Moving for sure.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:50 AM

wink U I know are moving here and looking forward to meeting you! I was trying to get Jackie and TQ to move here too....you once asked if any locals needed you to bring anything. I got something...Jackie and TQ.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:52 AM

Geeeze

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:54 AM

ernie, we are joking around due to a recent thing that happened, that's why TQ asked.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 12:57 AM

Geeeeze !

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:00 AM

you got the spirit baby! geeze!!! one of your favorite expressions in many posts.

geeze!!! you're funny man. hope to meet you soon.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:16 AM

K, I would like nothing better than the 3 of you ladies getting together, suitcase ain't that big laugh laugh laugh

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:18 AM

deacon- PLEASE BRING ME WITH YOU!!!! lol!

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:20 AM

Jackie, meet me in San Diego, see what I can do. laugh

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:21 AM

OH, Geeeze.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:23 AM

E, your just jealous I don't have a siutcase noway your size laugh laugh laugh

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:26 AM

I can squeeze in a wallet.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:29 AM

Then your invited too. laugh

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:36 AM

Aww, thanks! smile

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:45 AM

Just saw your home page. What is it about Texas that all you cute ladies come from there?

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 01:47 AM

Jackie, I fly out of Houston to get to AC, so be ready. cool

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 03:56 AM

Ready and waiting!

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 03:58 AM

Oh... I think us Texas girls just have that southern charm! wink

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 04:07 AM

cool
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 09:12 PM

Tanganaya ~ Be careful...make sure you don't get hooked up with a land shark....voice of experience here....he broke my heart...thank God I didn't quit my job and sell my house....I was fixin to. If I ever move down there, it will be because I want to live there....not FOR someone, but I almost did! Guard your heart gial. laugh

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 09:19 PM

SHows ta go ya, even us old dogs can still learn new tricks....live and learn. Wasn't meant to be, obviously. NOW I have THE BEST sweetie ever. I'm LUCKY it didn't work out down der...

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 10:00 PM

when you say don't get jooked up with a "land shark" who are you describing? I do agree, though it is all personal opinion, one should move down here because they want to live here...or because they want to live here and have someone, but I personally think it makes the most sense to move here because you want to be here. Go with what you feel is best for you.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 10:08 PM

Hi Wyoming Carla, as old dogs we also know that you have to take chances. I'm not trying to be an old woman with a million cats to keep me company in my old age. And men clean up so much better than cats LOL
We all have been hurt before. I hope this will not be one of those times but if it is... I'm sure I will be fine. I welcome the experience and challenges ahead. The Good, Bad & Ugly I'm happy you found that special someone and wish you the best of luck in your future.
Take care and thanks for the advise.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 10:25 PM

Tanganaya, congrats on your decision to move here!! I hope it all works out. There are many wonderful people here and plenty of relationships that do work out. Hope yours does. See you soon.

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 10:32 PM

Thanks Kra-Z-K
Take care

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/14/06 10:33 PM

looking forward to seeing you soon! best wishes.
Posted By: casa de amor

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/16/06 03:56 PM

won't be long before i'm headed down! for good

Re: Visiting San Pedro Belize - 04/26/06 02:10 PM

Hope the best for you! Hope to get down there next winter with my sis, and our 3 older kids - bar age! Try to look you up. Have a wonderful time....I know you will. Glad to hear, tho, that you are going to stay regardless. You Go Girl! KraZK....nunnya.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board