AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: KVarner What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 09:54 AM
I will be moving to Belize this summer, and I intend to stay for quite some time. I also have a lot of guns, and I really love my guns (crazy American, you know).

I know that there is a permit process, but I've also heard that a lot of guns are prohibited completley. Someone told me that you can't have a shotgun any bigger than a 16 gague. I hope that isn't the case. The lifestyle that I want on the cayes is more important to me than my gun collection, but I'd really like to know what I can have and what I can't have.

This sounds even more bizzare: I love to shoot, but I don't hunt (I'm a vegetarian). I like to shoot at targets. Is that legal anywhere in Belize?

Posted By: dabunk Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 02:23 PM
Belizean laws are very restrictive and even harder to imoprt your own weapons. Certain calibers are totally illegal. There are a couple of shooting ranges in the country. But if you love guns and want to bring them, find another country, or leave them home in the US.
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 03:18 PM
It can take up to 7 months to get a permit and will cost BZ$500 per permit per year.
Posted By: spl Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 03:34 PM
Question, are you really a "crazy american" if you are going to move to Belize? I highly doubt it or you'd probably stay in America. If you are looking for a change of life by moving to Belize perhaps you should consider giving the guns up as you will be giving up many other things from the states.

Posted By: spl Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 03:35 PM
I don't think just because you "love to shoot" justifies approving a gun there. One can say they love to shoot and are a vegetarian but they can't proove that. I think you need more of a reason otherwise anyone would have a gun there.
Posted By: dabunk Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 05:48 PM
And that is 500 per permit per weapon. A single shot 20 gauge sells for over 500 BZE. 9 mil only allowed pistol caliber. 16 and 20 gauge shotgun and forget rifles altogether.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 06:20 PM
I don't think you can get a permit until you are an approved legal resident of Belize. You certainly won't be able to have a gun "collection." Yes, it takes many months to obtain permit approval.

You can join the rifle and gun clubs which are all located on the main land if you want to fulfil you love of shooting.

There are very few safe spots to shot on the caye.

Probably you should keep you gun collection in the US and visit it once if while.

You could take up virtual/internet shooting!!
Posted By: dabunk Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 06:36 PM
You can get a gune permit without residency, I know several people who have done it legally.
Gun permits are not so hard to obtain. Unless you are connected you are normally allowed one sidearm for personal protection (validated), 9mm or smaller and a hunting permit can be obtained for shotguns and/or small rifles. Some red tape is required.

You may want to consider opening a paint ball course/battleground up the coast on leased property.

SIN
Posted By: KVarner Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 07:40 PM
I guess my AR-15 and AK-47 (that I built myself!) are going to have to stay with my parents. I can play with them on vacations.
But..

Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton
Gun permits are not so hard to obtain. ...Unless you are connected...

SIN

Who do I have to pay to become "connected"?

Am I right to assume that the 9mm sidearm means that I'd be able to carry a 9mm concealed?

Posted By: KB Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 07:59 PM
You just enjoy target shooting but want to carry a concealed weapon....are you joking?? Just what Belize needs, another wackjob American who thinks he needs to carry a gun for self defense. It is amazing how many countries manage to have low crime rates without being armed at all times. The US has more gun related deaths than most of the rest of the civilized world put together. Please leave your guns and your shoot 'em up cowboy culture at home!!!
Posted By: KVarner Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/23/07 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by KB
Just what Belize needs, another wackjob American who thinks he needs to carry a gun for self defense.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Posted By: chef Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/24/07 04:50 PM
[/quote]I'm glad I'm not the only one! [/quote]Unfortunately you are not the only one! When deciding to live in another culture, why not get to know the culture first, instead of trying to immediately bring yours with you. Shouldn't that be the point of moving in the first place?
I always have a concealed weapon when on the mainland, all parts. Ambergris Caye is not a place where you need personal protection unless you have a business. AC is a little drinking town with a diving problem, guns don't mix well.

SIN
Posted By: krehfish Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/24/07 07:44 PM
Yes, we in the United States have no experience with visitors epecting us to bow to their culture- flying emon anyone?
Posted By: KVarner Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/24/07 09:32 PM
By definition a concealed weapon is "concealed". No one knows about it. What this means is that the only effect it has is that *I* feel safer (unless someone tries to hurt me, and then everyone becomes a LOT safer).

I have nothing but respect for the culture of whatever country I visit. But when its hot, I still want air conditioning in my house, and I still want my American TV stations. And I still want my gun. I don't want to tell anyone else how to live, though. I'm pretty sure that Belize wants me to come, and buy property, and spend my money, and bring in my favorite American gadgets and pay import taxes on them. I have no intention of imposing anything on anyone. Rather, I want to come where I am welcome and obey the laws of the place where I am.

Another thing: the laws of a country are very much a part of its culture. I asked what the laws said about something, because I want to obey those laws. Someone indicated what the law was, and I expressed my intention to do what the law allows me to do. Then, someone else accused me of having no respect of the culture of Belize. Hmmmm...yeah....makes perfect sense.....

Correct.

The thing is though, pistols are made to shoot people. An abundance of guns on the island will change the culture. I would spend some time on the Island first, then re-evaluate to see if you require personal protection. If you don't feel safe here, you may wish to pick a more secure location, or hire a personal security detail. Besides it's kinda hard to walk around in swimming trunks and a tank top with a Baretta sticking out of your waist.

SIN
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/24/07 11:22 PM
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me!
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 03:25 AM
Why would we all be safer if you have a gun
Posted By: KVarner Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 09:15 AM
Bad guy tries to hurt me.

Bad guy dies.

No more bad guy = everyone is safer.

Of course, I'm primarily interested in my own safety, but the byproduct of my own safety is a better world for everyone. Thats why I carry in the states. I'll carry in Belize IF I have a permit and IF I feel that it is necessary. Probably won't be on the island.

Seriously, though, people should chill about this. I was just asking what the law in Belize says. Why the brouhaha over someone saying that they want to know the law so that they know how to obey it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 11:20 AM
As a non-American, I find the idea that anyone can believe that carrying an extreme weapon (be it a gun, serious knife, poison spray or whatever) is normal and acceptable is quite chilling.
Posted By: Hon Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by pedro2
As a non-American, I find the idea that anyone can believe that carrying an extreme weapon (be it a gun, serious knife, poison spray or whatever) is normal and acceptable is quite chilling.

I totally agree...and I know a few Americans who would agree also.
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 02:59 PM
Bad guy takes your gun and shoots you.

Now bad guy has a gun.

You stay at home with your gun = everyone safer here.
Posted By: Axeman Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 03:50 PM
I guess the M-60 and M-79 are really out of the question! Just playing..
Personally, I'd go with the pen gun, a small-caliber, single shot weapon that resembles a fountain pen. Alternatively, the bullet cavity of the pen gun could be filled with a poisonous chemical or the biological toxin of your choice. Just make sure your target in downwind.
I bet the Chinese couple wished they had a 9mm (that got stabbed and their heads bashed in by three men in ski masks, hats and sunglasses). Now that's chilling. AC is a beautiful island but is no Utopia. Good question KV, sorry for those that got their panties in a bunch over nothing. Isn't a message board all about questions. Usually the only stupid question is the one that you DON'T ask. jeez!

SIN

Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/25/07 11:21 PM
I was told he got stabbed because he would not give them BZ$850 and that they had a gun.

My point, is it worth killing someone for $850 or dying for.

If his life or family life is on the line fine kill them.
Yes. Even for $100 (and all the other money they have stolen and the other people that have been stabbed/shot by the same).

AC needs to send these slimebags a message. Catch one, fill him with some hot lead and send him back to Belize City in a box. Word gets around Belize fast.

SIN
Posted By: CatMo Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/26/07 06:48 PM
I wouldn't go with a Barretta, but that's just me.

I recommend the Kimber Eclipse Ultra II. The three-inch barrel makes it very carryable and it's hard to beat Kimber quality in their price range. The stopping power of a .45 is about as good as it gets.

If you've got big shorts, I've got a Sig P226 in .40 that I really like and, with multiple 12-round clips, it's great for cover fire and extremely dependable.

I don't think you can get (or keep) either of them legally in BZ. Too bad. One or two foiled robberies would really get the bad guys thinking.
Brodie's carries the Sig, I think in a 9mm? Good weapon. I agree, the criminal element sees AC as easy pickins'.
Posted By: Barbara K Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/26/07 07:32 PM
When & where did this happen (Chinese couple)? I hadn't heard.
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/26/07 10:44 PM
Sunday 20th at 1.10am, at Jonson Restaurant.

It is in both newspapers
Posted By: Alan Bodolay Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/26/07 11:23 PM
25 yrs ago, No one needed to carry a gun on S.P. Now, at least from what I have gleened from this web-site, Many should not be carrying guns, some should be carrying guns and some should put a gun to thier head. At least here, the choice is still ours.

Signed: A RESPONSIBLE, LICENSED, REGISTERED Gun Owner.
I would think we have a choice as well?
Posted By: Alan Bodolay Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 12:11 AM
Not much of one.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 06:46 PM
Belizean Red necks - can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 07:37 PM
Duck!tape 'em!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 07:46 PM
Funny how people from different cultures think differently. Americans are used to people having guns and think nothing of having one - and using it when they consider circumstances justify it. The British have not had the benefit of such freedom of expression, and for most of them having a gun is not in any way an option. At different times in my life I have carried a pistol, and although I never used it (other than for practice) it gave me a feeling of invincibility just having it on me. The real reason I never used a pistol even when I was carrying one is that I was born of the British culture and always sought a remedy that didn't involve it. Funnily enough there always was one.

Don't know for sure this is true, but I read somewhere once that most American police officers who are shot are shot with their own weapons.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 08:10 PM
It's not just American law enforcement officials who are injured w/ their own weapons, the percentage of private citizens wounded w/ their own weapons is astounding. Just a portion of the facts the NRA leaves out of their literature.
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/27/07 09:43 PM
Well said Pedro2
Posted By: Alan Bodolay Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/28/07 02:41 AM
What a lovely world it would be if all private gun ownners, Police Officers, Armed Security Officers, Parole Agents, ATF Officers, Deputy Sheriffs, Sherrifs, Highway Patrolman, Airport Police,FBI Agents, CIA Agents, Hunters, State Troppers, Private Investigators,(Not to mention several branches of our ARMED FORCES could lay down their hatred and annimosity that requires their need to carry a firearm.

Then maybey we finally can all join hands and enjoy a courus of " We are the World..."
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/28/07 02:57 AM
Yes it would Alan, but lets be realistic huh?
Posted By: Inplub Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/28/07 03:23 AM
Cowboys will never give up guns
Posted By: Otteralum Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/28/07 06:21 PM
Geeze guys. Time to move political and sociology debate to general chat.

KV asked a great question and shows he respects the culture he hopes to embrace. Don't bash him -- rather oppose those who look to change the Belize you all love.

Posted By: Marty Re: What is the story on gun ownership? - 01/28/07 08:26 PM
amen otter
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board