AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous Malware - Hotspot Shield - 02/27/07 12:51 PM
Anyone who understands should be aware that the uninstall programs provided with Hotspot Shield and with Anchor Free both contain malicious trojans, though the basic software seems OK. Anyone using these should delete the uninstall programs after installation and in no circumstances run them. Rely on the built-in Windows uninstall facilities instead.

If you don't understand this message then it doesn't apply to you.
Posted By: caye land Re: Malware - Hotspot Shield - 02/27/07 01:06 PM
Interesting. How did you notice the trojans?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Malware - Hotspot Shield - 02/28/07 02:58 AM
I've started using a much more effective anti-virus-and-spyware package, and it found them. For the record it's called Bullguard and it's excellent.
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: Malware - Hotspot Shield - 02/28/07 04:09 AM
I've heard this so many time before. Unless you "opt-in" by not de-selecting the "rewards bar" feature, I have not had a problem. The "rewards bar" is obviously spyware. They plainly explain this. I have done one google search after another looking for evidence that the AF base service contains malware. Could someone please supply evidence from a major anti-malware firm about AF (sans rewards bar) containing a trojan?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Malware - Hotspot Shield - 02/28/07 04:55 PM
As I said, it is the uninstall programs which contain the trojans. You install these every time you install Hotspot Shield, regardless of whether you opt for the rewards bar. Depending what anti-malware software you run, analyse those programs if you have them on your computer. I don't think Norton finds the trojans, but several of the better ones do.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Malware - Hotspot Shield - 03/01/07 03:51 PM
Bitdefender (who generate virus definitions for most anti-malware suppliers) have now examined the HSS download file and have pronounced the trojans non-malicious. They have withdrawn it from their virus definitions, so future scans shouldn't pick it up.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board