AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Home Insurance, Am I getting ripped off?

Posted By: Safaristar

Home Insurance, Am I getting ripped off? - 10/02/07 01:42 PM

Hello all.
In San Pedro (not on the beach)I'm paying $2,400BZ/year for $300,000BZ home insurance (not including personal property, just the structure). It's a concrete home. That works out to $800BZ per $100KBZ insurance. Yes, it includes hurricane coverage, But that still seems high to me. Anybody else care to share what they are paying? Can anybody recommend good companies? Preferably one they have filed a claim with?
Posted By: Sunny Day

Re: Home Insurance, Am I getting ripped off? - 10/02/07 02:11 PM

RF & G is the best company in Belize. I know many people who have successfully filed claims with them. They have the financial capacity to pay and run the company well. Their policies are quite comprehensive, and they don't have the kind of escape clauses that caused the Katrina victims so much grief.
$8 per $1,000 is a good rate for here.
A wood house on the beach is $24-27 per $1,000.
You are not being ripped off if you are working with a company that actually pays a claim. Read the policy, as you may have made some assumptions based on previous experience that do not apply here. The biggest issue is under-insuring - if you do that and submit a claim you can have major problems.
If you have questions about policies with R F & G, call Wilfred at the home office in Belize City. He's in management and is both intelligent and helpful.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Home Insurance, Am I getting ripped off? - 10/02/07 04:03 PM

Your rate sound right. Usually if your building is concrete the rate is in the region of 1% of the value.

RF & G is the firm I would feel most comfortable with. I have filed a claim with them and received funds in less than a week.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board