AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Reaching Out for help

Posted By: C.C.

Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 10:19 PM

I am a 37 year old female looking to make this a permanent visit to Ambergris Caye/Belize from NJ USA. I do not know anyone down there except a few locals I met on my last visit. Can anyone give me some pointers on where I can find a safe apartment, work, friends, and any other words of wisdom that may make my transision easier and more informed? PS My arrival is planned for November 1, 2007.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 10:20 PM

Hit all the local drinking establishments for meeting people! That is the easy part!

Good luck to you! smile

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 10:24 PM

Sounds like a good plan!
Posted By: Big Mike

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:18 PM

Single female fron NJ should not have any problems at all finding friends and a free place to stay....especially in Nov, right before high season. Enjoy the ride.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:30 PM

Hey we are from NJ, where in Joisey? Been in Belize five years now and loving it. Not on the Cayes though.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:32 PM

so easy to meet people here and so many great people to meet.

Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:48 PM

Hi...34 year old female...just moved here by myself from NYC (originally from Ridgewood, NJ) about 6 months ago. Would be glad to chat, meet up. You'll love it. I promise.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:50 PM

q

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:53 PM

OH MY GAWD!!!! Just kidding, I don't really talk like that. I hope!

I am nervous right now only because of the solo thing but can't wait. How did you do it? Are you by yourself or with spouse?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:54 PM

Try Wet Willy's on Friday nights there's usually a large crowd of ex-pats between 5pm and 9pm.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:55 PM

Thanks Big Mike!
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/03/07 11:58 PM

Don't worry about the solo thing...it's easy to meet people down here.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 12:22 AM

See you at Wet Willies!

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 12:23 AM

Is it hard to find work?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 12:38 AM

Get your work permit or residency first!

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 12:39 AM

What is the best way to get dual residency?
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 12:49 AM

There is a lot of information about moving to Belize, obtaining work permits, residency status, etc. on this website if you use the search function. Lots of really good info from people who have done this stuff before.

Just out of curiosity, am I understanding that you are planning to move to San Pedro the first of November not knowing any of this information and without a place to live? If so: WOW!

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 01:07 AM

Thank you leah-Ann. Yes. That is true. I have researched to death but figured hearing anything straight from people would make it more fun. Also, nice to hear different peoples perspective. This will be my hardest journey but it will be worth every minute to begin again in such a wonderful country. I will search this site deeper. Again, thank you.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 01:15 AM

You should rethink it, many come like you and go home in tears and broke. Just my opinion.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 01:17 AM

Thank you for your advise. See you in November!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:32 AM

Do you have a year's finances in reserve?

Are you leaving yourself in a good situation to return home?

You are getting some good advice here C.C., ignore it at your own peril. This is like the old saying "marry in haste, repent at leisure".
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:40 AM

HUH ?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:45 AM

She's moving to the island to hang out with some locals she met. She doesn't have a job or a place to live, or even any idea of what is involved with getting work (work permit). People are suggesting she do some more research, give things a bit more consideration and her response is "it's all good, see you soon".

Since it is more likely than not, that she'll be returning home sooner rather than later, I was just wondering if she's leaving things in such a way, that it will be easy to do that.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:49 AM

HUH?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:55 AM

ME?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:56 AM

Q tips anyone?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:59 AM

Ya you!

Just remember it's a term of endearment.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:01 AM

WHO?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:01 AM

SeaShell, I have to agree. Don't just throw caution to the wind when deciding to move to AC. If you can get a job just remember you are taking away a job from one of the locals.....maybe. The locals are the ones that bring us back. JMHO

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:05 AM

The locals certainly seem to be the ones bringing her back. wink

More importantly though, not everyone can make the transition. One might think that it is what they want but then reality sets in. Vacationing in San Pedro can be one thing, living there can be quite another. Living in San Pedro without an income could be quite a challenge for the average Norte Americano.

Or the unaverage . .just ask Deacon.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:06 AM

Who?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:08 AM

Your simpleton act is losing its charm.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:10 AM

Thanks

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:11 AM

Yer welcome. wink

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:12 AM

ss, you are cracking me up!!! Too funny, gial!

And more importantly, dead on. Heed (sp?) her advice, CC.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:14 AM

She won't. She only wants to hear what she wants to hear. I hope it works out for her.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:14 AM

I agree, it is so easy to get caught up.....when we first went down we fell in love with it. However, we visited almost 6 times before we decided to buy a place. My suggestion would be to visit at least 4 to 6 times before taking any plunge. Ease into it. You will not be dissapointed.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:02 AM

seashell: how much experience do you have in living here? You seem to know all about it!

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:08 AM

Well since my doom has already been decided.....thank you all for you rinput. It was quite valuable.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:17 AM

I know a little bit about it Jesse.

Probably not as much as you but then, you successfully made the transition, didn't you?

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:27 AM

No. I don't have to live there as long as you to know that some people don't make the transition. It's the truth and I'm allowed my opinion here, just as you are.

Do you deny that not everyone makes the transition? . . . Especially those, who make the jump in haste.

Hey, maybe C.C. will do just fine and I wish her the best. But there certainly should be no harm in suggesting someone think twice before jumping.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:33 AM

edited as best possible since deletion is not possible

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:55 AM

edited

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:55 AM

edited
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 10:11 AM

Rumson NJ has some of the most expensive homes in NJ, Just a hint that maybe C.C. can weather the financial storm in San Pedro. unlike some of the past people who did not.
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 01:50 PM

...or, it's just a playful troll. "...Researched to death..."? I doubt it.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:07 PM

One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.
Posted By: 1izecreemlady

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:17 PM

Just because there are expensive homes in an area doesn't mean all who live there are wealthy.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:42 PM

Even the Ice Cream is expensive in Rumson wink
Posted By: elbert

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 02:54 PM

CC you will have a big adventure for sure.
Locals and expats are all helpful and friendly as you can see.
There are some pit falls to watch for.
one is sitting to long in the bar and listening to to much advice.
however it is a good place to start.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:00 PM

Maybe this will be a bit more helpfull. Bring a bank draft for $9999US (this puts you under the declaration limit and will avoid any issues that may come up). Also bring a reference letter from your bank so you can open an account at one of the banks on the island. If you decide to stay you can have funds wired down as required. You should count on having at least $2000US per month available for housing and living expenses, you can do it cheaper it will depend on your tastes.

You will not be able to work legally unless you obtain a self employed work permit and set up your own business or you are sponsored by a business (you will need to show that you have skills that cannot be filled by a Belizean.)

There are expediting services for residency but beware as more than a few people have paid for but not recieved what they were promised or nothing but an empty wallet, get recommendations from more than one source. Expedited or not work permits and residency will run you several thousand dollars.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:12 PM

Good advice. Having a PlanB is smart. Keep a journal, I wish I did when I moved down as a teenager. A 36 yr old female friend from shy town just moved in and is loving it. She makes regular trips home though and tele comutes for work.

As always, bring half as much clothes and twice as much cash.

SIN
Posted By: JZB

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:16 PM

For each bucketload of people that scamper home with their tail between their legs, theres a handful who make the transition with little or no problems.
My husband and I only visited the island for 3 days and was living here 6 months later. I guess you could say we jumped in head first. We are one of the exceptions though.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:24 PM

I am not saying that you cannot make it, just that few do. What tells me you will not is your attitude about it. We will see in several months when you post your stuff for sale or not. Just my .02
Posted By: elbert

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:30 PM

Good advice Simon.
Expeditors prey on naive newbies.I try to explain the mentality like this; You want to mail a letter. You meet an expediter that explains how difficult that really is in Belize and that he/she has a cousin that has a friend at the post office and for $500. the expediter will get that mailed for you with out any problems...or you can go to the post office ,buy a stamp and mail it yourself.
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 03:35 PM

Wow, that's a bit rough. It may be more about trying to assist in her decision, seeing it's been made, than winning a "who know's best" contest.

Hey Jersey girl, the surest way to fail is to stay home. You'll never really know, until you try.

SIN
Posted By: Big Mike

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:00 PM

As usual, the harshest comments are coming from people who don't live here. CC, come down and have a good time relaxing in the sun. You'll know pretty quickly if the island is for you and/or vice versa. Cheers.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:12 PM

Some people have witnessed/experienced different hardships relative to moving to SP, therefore different opinions are being expressed... it's all good!!
Posted By: Marty

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:18 PM

amen to big mike

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:23 PM

I think people are being polite be expressing their concerns. Opinions (when they are agreeable with mine) are good!!!
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 04:27 PM

I like the way Big Mike thinks! Only advice I could give from my experience is to rent a hurricane-proof residence and the rest will be loads of fun and sun.
Posted By: carl 60

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 08:50 PM

My wife and I have did quite a lot of research about moving to Belize and there is quite a few requirments you have to meet.My being retired makes it easier because I would not be seeking employment.I would have to apply for citizenship which there is a fee,present proof from a regonized financhle Inst. showing I have a min. of $2000.00 a month income also a a document from the police dept. here to show I have no felonies etc.
I not an expert by far but on the Belize web site you can get all the requirements that is needed.We have been looking at this for a year citzenship,buying a property and a home and still undecided.I hope this is some help CC and wish you all the luck.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 08:52 PM

CC Lots of advice here – some excellent! I think what really counts are why you are leaving and what you think you are coming to. I came here 8 times before selling my home in California. I rented an apartment for a year before I bought a condo. I read Don’t Stop the Carnival carefully.

I am a short fat old gringo lady – the men here don’t care. I was constantly asked “Do you have a husband?” “NO” “Do you have a boy friend?” “NO” “Do you want one?” “NO” There are a lot of fine single gringo women here – who manage to survive on our own. But we must be smart – not foolish.

Here is one of my favorite little ditties:
Oh innocent victims of Cupid,
Remember this terse little verse;
To let a fool kiss you is stupid,
To let a kiss fool you is worse.

Questions you only need to answer for yourself: Have you lived alone where you are? Are you planning to live alone here or have you already ‘hooked up’ with someone.
From what I read it sounds like your mind is made up and maybe you are burning some bridges. Only you know.

Good luck. Keep us posted after you settle in.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 09:28 PM

That is cool JZB I can totally see how one could make a decision after such a short time. Sometimes you just know you have to do something no matter what the outcome.

For us it was one 3 week visit and we decided to move here.

Has not been without hard times moving here but it has all been well worth it.
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/04/07 10:32 PM

Amen ScubaLady! Love the verse... and so true!

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 12:01 AM

Well said, Harriette. Yet I was deleted for recommending that the 20 year old girls be prepared to deal with some aggressive guys and watch out for each other. wink

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 12:53 AM

For those of you that came late to the party (by that I mean, are reading this thread now, instead of earlier), one of the moderators had engaged me in conversation. Since then, the moderator's comments have been removed, leaving only mine. I'm not able to delete mine. Oh well. smile
Posted By: indygal

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 01:14 AM

CC - one thing is for sure, you have a burning desire to come to SP. If you do not come get your taste of island life, you will always regret it. This seems to be a place of second chance folks - all just a little odd and mostly kind hearted. Bring enough money or stay home till you get it together. Enjoy, life is short.
p.s. the folks that were not encouraging just don't want to see you get hurt, but none of us know you or your situation.

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 06:43 AM

Thanks indy! Well said.
Posted By: 6string

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 06:20 PM

Hey CC... I envy you, as my wife and I truly hope to make Ambergris Caye our home one day too... at least part time. We were only there once (currently planning a return) but truly fell in love with the people, the place, the feel, everything. As others have said, there's something unique and wonderful about it. We have a few more years until we retire, but the way I look at it is: So ya move there and after a year, two, whatever, you don't like it, move somewhere else! Life is about the adventure, and for too many years of our lives we play it safe, albeit mostly for financial purposes, but if you have the means to live, why hold back? You deserve to enjoy the adventure... life is suppose to be fun!

Just my 2 cents worth (BZ) and maybe not worth that.

Mike
Posted By: reaper

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 07:12 PM

All of this advice is usefull...however...

The most important thing to bring with you is common sense and good judgement!!!!

There are still pirates in Belize, they just don't have wooden ships and steel cannons anymore.

I know of a couple that came down loaded with $$$, had a great plan and jumped in with both feet. They wouldn't listen to advice from certain people, thought they knew the best way to do things and figured it was just like the states. They put all of their faith with the wrong person and didn't protect themselves financialy. They are now back home licking their wounds and getting the thorns out of their paws.

Many of you reading this have heard the same old story over and over again.

That being said, I have had nothing but wonderful experiences and look forward to being an island resident some day. There are many folks on the island that are the finest people I have ever met.

Enjoy your adventure!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Reaching Out for help - 10/05/07 10:58 PM

Well said Reaper. If the person who is showing you around keeps you cordoned off to themselves – BEWARE!
The good people will trust you enough to let you chat freely with residents and business people. The hustler’s won’t.
The other thing is that I have seen gullible young women take a man seriously who was just having fun with them – often at their expense. Oh, and not always just women and not always just young. LOL
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board