AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Residency and household goods question

Posted By: collyk

Residency and household goods question - 02/15/08 09:33 PM

Does anyone who reads this have any experience importing their household goods after obtaining permanent residency. We have visited customs on the caye but they claim that only Belizean Citizens get the opportunity to import duty free belongings. We know this isn't the case but can't seem to get any facts from anyone. Our customs broker says, bring a residency card - well they don't do the cards anymore, just a stamp, our friend in the city says to talk to Beltraide. We just can't seem to get any clear info. Sooooo if you have actually done this, we would be ever so grateful for your advice. You can pm me if you don't want to discuss this on the forum. Many thanks.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/15/08 10:01 PM

please do discuss this on the forum.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/15/08 10:11 PM

Well Beltraide were very helpful and are looking into it. They weren't aware that residents could bring in household goods duty free. I'll speak to them again on Monday. Very nice staff there and very attentive.

In the meantime, I thought I'd better arm myself with some ammunition, so I downloaded some very useful stuff from www.customs.gov.bz/duty.html and www.customs.gov.bz/approvedcertificates.html

I was impressed that this information was so readily available on the internet.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/15/08 10:25 PM

We brought our household goods in after residency. Goods come in free, no cars, boats, etc like QRP though. We had to show customs our passports with residency stamp.
Posted By: sharyn and bob

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/15/08 10:57 PM

Hi dabunk

How did you get your goods in? We have downsized, so it would only be a small crate or a couple of extra LARGE suitcases.

Sharyn

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/16/08 12:40 AM

We shipped in twice, once when we first moved, including two vehicles and three years later after residency, shipped our balance of goods and a van. Our first group of things and vehicles we shipped with Hyde Shipping out of Miami. They told us our goods and vehicles had to be shipped separately. They shipped on time and as they represented, but it was a pain to have to drop our goods at one yard and the drive an hour away to drop our vehicles at the port itself. We paid about 1800 for both vehicles and another 800 for our goods, which amounted to about 4 pallets stacked.

Our second shipping, two years ago was with a place out of Tampa, Jackson Shipping. They allowed us to fill our vehicle and a 6 by 10 foot trailer with as much stuff as we wanted, and only charged for the vehicles, about 1000 for an Astro Van and 800 for the trailer. Drop it off in one place and done. They told me it would ship in a month and be there in 2 weeks. 3 1/2 months later it finally arrived. The van was scratched all up from the cargo straps and they refused to do anything about it. I would never use them again.

I believe Hyde shipping has several places where you can drop things off and they will ship. Also Sterling freight out of Houston is highly recommended. They will handle all the paperwork and deliver to your door if you want. Hope that helps some.
Posted By: sharyn and bob

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/16/08 12:49 AM

Thanks, it does help. Surprisingly, we have very little to bring, just a little too much for airline baggage. If we could just bring 3 extra suitcases, we would be fine. We are trying to get something going with the airlines, see if we can take a trunk. Trouble is, we have to deal with two separate airlines. I will post and let others know how we make out.

Sharyn

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/16/08 01:21 AM

Most airlines will allow more baggage, usually costs 100 per bag. We did it last year coming back from California with stuff for camp. We called ahead and it was fine.
Posted By: kcbc

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/16/08 01:35 AM

Years ago we use to air freight items into Belize.
In the past we used TACA airlines and also AA.
Since you did say where you were coming from you might check and see if the airline you are using has a freight system set up.
Also if you are in the LA or Chicago area there are Belizeans that run trucks down to Belize delivering personal goods.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 05:57 PM

Amerijet air freight goods into Belize too.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 06:06 PM

Probably out of date as it was seven years ago, but we were allowed one container of used household goods to be shipped down, AFTER we were a residents and it was duty free - again no cars boats etc.

Colly the one thing I would have expected a bright girl like you to have worked out by now is when looking for any info from GOB etc is to go right to the very top and get your info there. There is then no boss higher up the foodchain to contradict you. Cute smiley face thing inserted here!

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 06:15 PM

Thanks Phil. The information I have gathered in various places suggests that I just need to inventory everything well and turn up at the port with my broker and residency stamp. I'll let you all know how it goes. I've decided to leave the yacht and Hummer behind, so that shouldn't be a problem wink.

And Phil, you are correct about going to the top but right now the people at the top are not that easy to contact with all the changes in government. I'm also operating on very short notice -that doesn't ever work well here in Belize.
ps. your advice all still holds and we are again using the shipping company that you recommended to us before we moved here. For those Brits moving to Belize, http://www.excess-international.com have been very good with us.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 06:44 PM

See, I knew you were bright. I'd somehow overlooked we just had an election!!!

Accurate inventory is a must. Any discrepancies on the sample inspection will mean they will check the whole container.

We also got the container shipped here to San Pedro before clearing Customs and got the local Customs Officers to open and remove the seal and do the Inspection outside our house as we offloaded it. Cost us lunch and a few cold drinks from memory. Caribbean Shipping can bring containers and deliver them on the Caye, not sure about Mash.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 07:28 PM

I investigated bringing household goods, and of course had a problem with 230V appliances such as washing machines/fridges/hi-fi etc. I told the people here that I obviously couldn't bring any of that as it wouldn't work, so I'd have to sell it and buy new in the USA. They said that anything new, whatever the reason or justification, could not be brought in duty free. So to date I've never brought anything in under this scheme.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 08:18 PM

Bought an Up Convertor Transformer for a few quid to run power tools and portable stuff at 240V and big stuff permenantly installed, such as white goods, are easily wired here for 240V.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 09:06 PM

Colly also remember if there is any repeat any wood products, picture frames etc, you need to get paperwork from BAHA as well approved. They hammered me over this.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 09:08 PM

Also they gave us a hard time at first over accurate inventory until we told them we were bringing in under residency. Then they just checked several boxes at random to make sure it was used goods.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/17/08 11:03 PM

Thanks for heads up about wood products. What paperwork is required? I'll definitely be in touch with BAHA. If there is anything wood in there, I wouldn't even know what sort of wood it is.

We're giving away all our large white goods, washing machine etc as well as our furniture, TV etc, so we won't have any problems with any of that. Our friends and the Salvation Army will, for the second time, be very happy. This will just be our personal things really. But there are wood items in there. So, I'll have to do some research.

Thanks to everyone for responding, both here and in private message.

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/18/08 12:20 AM

BAHA guy was there when the goods are opened. He had a fit when he saw wooden picture frames. We had to go to his office and fill another form, cost us 30 Bze "penalty" Contact them if possible and ask how to do it "properly" He did not ask what kind of wod or anything like that, just needed to have an "import permit"
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/18/08 12:22 AM

Colleen, If I am not mistaken, the wood permit is good for a 30 or 60 day limit. See if your broker can obtain it for you. I have done this when having things shipped from Merida. Judy

Re: Residency and household goods question - 02/18/08 12:34 AM

Thank you guys about the wood. I was getting a bit worried.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board