AmbergrisCaye.com Home

bird cage availability?

Posted By: A Salty Dog

bird cage availability? - 04/07/08 08:50 PM

We are moving to San Pedro with our 2 macaws (rescued in the US, not taken from the wild). Will we be able to purchase a new or used large bird cage in SP or in Belize City or elsewhere in Belize? If not, any guidance about shipping our current cage from USA to SP will be appreciated (money is tight).
Thanks.
Sally
Posted By: JZB

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/07/08 10:17 PM

You will need to ship in a bird cage. Even if you have an aviary built here, you will not be able to find any stainless steel mesh.

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/08/08 12:14 AM

Okie dokie. Thank you!
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/08/08 03:10 PM

we built a decent size aviary (about 5'W X 15'L X 7' high) for our little yellow headed amazon and parakeets with local materials: the stick used for palapas, bamboo and mesh... mesh not stainless but will last 2+ years before it needs to be replaced. Purchased a 100' roll of it in Spanish Lookout (MUCH cheaper there.) If you have the space for an aviary, sourcing the materials to build one here is not difficult and arguably cheaper than shipping a large cage down.
Posted By: JZB

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/08/08 04:08 PM

We had the galvanized mesh on our outside aviary but it seemed to immediately rust. Since our birds love to crawl up and down the mesh (putting all that rust in their mouths) we broke down and shipped in stainless steel mesh from the States and redid their approx 140 sqr ft aviary. It was an expense but it seems to be holding up much better.

Our birds also have an smaller indoor cage which they spend the night in. We had it shipped in from the States after not being able to find a suitable one in Belize.
Posted By: Laura Marlow

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/08/08 09:03 PM

I have a large, custom built bird cage with wheels and pull out tray for sale for $400 US Dollars.

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/09/08 05:50 AM

Thanks y'all for such helpful information!

Laura, I've PM'd you. :o)
Posted By: govikes

Re: bird cage availability? - 04/10/08 01:41 PM

S- sent you a pm. let me know if you have any questions!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board