AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: SP Daily Retire like royalty in a low-cost paradise - 04/14/08 10:17 PM
"Louisiana banker Tom Vidrine, for example, fell in love with Belize on his first trip to the Central American country in 1990. He bought a vacation home and spent the next seven years saving money so that he could retire in 1997 at the ripe old age of 45. He says an American can live a comfortable life on one of Belize's many tropical islands for $2,000 a month, or half of that on the mainland.
"My only regret," said Vidrine, "is that I did not come sooner."
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...RetireLikeRoyaltyInaLowCostParadise.aspx
Ummmmmmmmm......... read the first paragraph of this article. Methinks it's out of date, unfortunately.
??The statement about the stock market??
$2000.00 a month Maybe in 1997, But 2008? Comfortably? In San Pedro? I don't think someone would be very comfortable while paying 1200.00 to 1500.00 (US) for rent as I read in the classified sections of the local news papers. Unless you out-rite own a home, condo etc. It does not seem like it would be a "Comfortable Retirement". (IMHO)
This presumes that a retiree would own his/her home...thus $2,000 is plenty.
it says he bought the home in 1990, then saved for 7 yrs till he could move there in '97.
Yea, the stock market --- this article has to be several months out of date. But for sure a person can live on $2,000 US a month if they own a home.
We live comfortably on Caye caulker for $1.000.. a month. Own our home..run a business,own and maintain a boat. enjoy nights out..travel..just came back from 4 days in Bacalar Lagoon MX, what a beautiful lake. True San Pedro is much more expensive.and there are months we spend more..but not many!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board