AmbergrisCaye.com Home

I want to send a DVD to San Pedro...

Posted By: ExOkie

I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 09:42 PM

What is the best way to send a DVD (in its original box and wrapper) from the US to a friend in San Pedro? USPS? UPS? FedX? Will the recipient have to pay any duty?

Thanks for any help.
Posted By: Marty

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 09:45 PM

general delivery to their name will get there. they will probably pay a lil just put gift on it and a low value. and cross your fingers. open it. make it 'used'. lower that value.

us postal service is fine, dhl also
Posted By: margarita

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 09:47 PM

I have used the US mail successfully but not necessarily fast.
Fill out postal form, list DVD as gift with under $10 US cost then send to San Pedro. Shouldn't be duty on gifts with little monetary value.
My sister Fed Ex'd me some dental supplies once - they took days to get to San Pedro & I had to pick up at Tropic air & sign papers - so it was expensive and ineffecient!
Belize it!
Posted By: flip flop

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 10:08 PM

ExOkie-

We're going down July 13th. Would be glad to take it for you, if you'd like.

Just let me know and I'll send you our address.

Amy

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 10:45 PM

USPS or DHL, no FedX, open it (or make the package look used) and send as a gift with low value. Cool. All good advice.

Amy thanks for you kind offer but I'm going to be doing more of this kind of thing in the future and need to see how it works.

Thanks everyone. I knew I could count on ya.

Posted By: flip flop

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 10:53 PM

ExOkie...

If you send USPS, please keep us updated. It would be interesting to see how long it takes to get there, as I'm sure a lot of people would like to do the same (me including).
Posted By: dabunk

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/10/08 11:09 PM

We have packages sent to us regularly from the States, we only use USPS, as they are the cheapest. We send things USPS priority and it takes about 10 to 14 days to get here. Exception to this is from Nov to Jan, Christmas bogs things way down.

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/11/08 12:18 AM

Will do FlipFlop. Come to think of it I might take you up on your generous offer. I'll PM you.
Posted By: KC

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/12/08 05:27 AM

One of our guests in January accidentally took home a DVD. She mailed it back to San Pedro, and I happened to be there at the time. I don't know how long it took to get there, but the duty was $28.50 BZ! On a DVD that I had gotten out of a bargin bin for $5.00 US. How ridiculous is that???? Duty was nearly 3 times what I paid for the item.
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/12/08 03:28 PM

If you use USPS "Express" service it gets here in 4 to 5 days. Have used it several times.
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/12/08 03:31 PM

When you put a value on what you are sending you need to be reasonable. I have had several items "revalued" when the post office here opened the package when it picked it up.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/12/08 03:32 PM

woah!! kc!! where you been???? how you been??? (oops sorry for the hijack, just post around me)
Posted By: Craigswench

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/12/08 03:35 PM

I agree---- KC!!!!! Great to see you!
Hope all is well. Miss hearing from you.

Cheerz!
Posted By: KC

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/13/08 05:13 PM

Hi Jane! Still here. Doing great. E-mail me.
"Ms. Wench", if you would ever answer your e-mail... smile

Kathy

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/23/08 09:35 PM

OK the DVD is off today. I shipped box and all in an International Flat Rate Envelope for $11.25. That is International Priority Class. I filled out the customs form online listing it as a gift with a value of $15 (pretty much the truth).

I'll let you know when it gets there.
Posted By: margarita

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/25/08 03:57 PM

I've heard that is one problem with duty taxes - not exactly clear about what gets taxed how & how much. That is why IMO it is not worth buying extra at duty free shops. ie Marlboro cigarettes bring in more than you are allowed duty free and the duty taxes are so high it isn't worth it.
That is why what is written on USPS forms & shipped makes so much of a difference in total costs.
Belize it!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/25/08 05:37 PM

I received a package yesterday, totally unsolicited and unexpected. Some people I met on the beach a while ago decided to send some treats for my dog. I was charged duty by the Post Office at a rate of 40% on both the declared value of the package and the postal charges. I'm sure the kind people who sent it wouldn't have done had they realised this would be the result.
Posted By: Three_Palms

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/25/08 06:45 PM

It does seem like the duties on these small value everyday items are getting bigger and bigger. The worst part is the duty on postage. Does anyone know how much duty I will pay on a laptop? Thanks
Posted By: ubbit

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/25/08 06:49 PM

I have taken, over several trips, kitchen gadgets, etc., linens, window blinds, for 2 condos through the airport. I found those at customs friendly and cooperative. There is a web site that will tell you exactly the duty on items. It varies. You are charged the duty on the cost of the item plus shipment (no shipment costs via airport), enviromental tax on some items. The sales tax is applied to the total. It will, on most items amount to about 40%. Some computer items and tools as I remember, have low duty. I have found it more economical to buy these items in the states taking advandage of sales, coupons, etc. with a better selection. I always take my receipts, and have informed the custom agents of the receipts, but they have never looked at them. Of course, with the new additional costs that some airlines are charging for luggage, might be cheaper in Belize.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: I want to send a DVD to San Pedro... - 06/25/08 09:36 PM

I brought a printer into the country a month or so ago with the purpose to donate it to the public library. The customs agent told me that he would charge me the minimum duty. It turned out to be $25 US on a new $150US (approx) printer.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board