AmbergrisCaye.com Home

XM Radio Problems?

Posted By: JZB

XM Radio Problems? - 06/21/08 02:37 PM

It seems this past week I have lost all channels below 122, which means all my music channels. Is anyone else having a problem with their signal?

There is normally a time of year where the signal fades for a few hours a day but I have never lost the signal for this long.
What is going on???? I'm sick of listening to CNN! Help! cry
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: XM Radio Problems? - 06/21/08 08:38 PM

Hi JZB. We were experiencing fade outs recently and moved the antennae a few times - didn't really do much. But I can tell you that we are getting excellent signal so far today.

Maybe your antennae has moved or something is now blocking it.

Re: XM Radio Problems? - 06/21/08 10:28 PM

Thanks Amanda, we're going to try playing with the antenna. Signal strength should be the same all over the island right?

If this doesn't work, we're going to look into Sirius.

Re: XM Radio Problems? - 06/22/08 07:40 PM

Seems it is not an antenna problem. I think we're just going to trash the system and look at alternatives.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: XM Radio Problems? - 06/22/08 09:09 PM

Sounds like a hardware fault. If Amanda's works it can't be the system, can it?
Posted By: weile

Re: XM Radio Problems? - 06/23/08 08:07 PM

The explanation is that we are at the very edge of the satellite coverage, and thus very vulnerable to weather, atmospheric disturbances etc.

XM Radio (+ Sirius and other US based Satellite Internet, Radio and TV providers) are not licensed or allowed to transmit outside the US (+ sometimes Puerto Rico), so it can be hard to pick up the signals, which is why i.e. a DirecTV subsciption must follow a US address and requires a 7' dish in most places here, while a 2' dish is sufficient in the States.

It'll get better once Belize gets a legal non-pirate provider of int'l TV and radio signals.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board