AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Anonymous JD Dunlop (English painter, not Scots timeshare ) - 07/13/08 06:54 PM
Somebody told me yesterday that JD had died. Anyone know anything about it?
I heard yesterday that he had been having some problems with infection in his legs. He became ill and was transfered to KHMH where he passed away. No word yet on funeral plans.
I am very sorry to hear that, I was only talking to him 2 weeks ago when I was there.
Yes.

We got a text Friday night that he had passed on in the hospital. As far as I have heard he had a heart attack (could related to infection) but I am not exactly sure what happened. Sad he will be missed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: JD Dunlop (English painter, not Scots timeshare ) - 07/13/08 10:42 PM
Can anyone who knows please post funeral/memorial arrangements here? I know quite a few people who would like to know.
I am so sorry to hear this...he was a sweet guy, and I know will be missed. He was one of the first friends we made there, and was a hoot at the bar.
RIP, JD.
Awww, JD was always around, he was friendly and had something to talk about, making me chuckle or smile. Loved hearing his stories. I will miss him. JD say Hi to Paisano for me.
I wish I would have known him. RIP JD.
I just heard that it may be next Saturday at Pier Lounge. If anyone hears more please post.
If I recall correctly, his two favorite songs to sing at Pier lounge karaoke were "Unchained Melody" and, my personal favorite to be serenaded with by JD, Billy's Idol's "White Wedding". I know he will be missed by all.

Sorry to hear of the passing of JD. He suffered for several years with that infected foot/leg...it was hard on everyone who knew him. I would like to think Paisano and Smoky met him at the gates of Pierlounge Redux.
I remember him well a good guy , I use to chat in front of coconet internet cafe,in town would buy him and richie.Another intresting local guy lunch.I did that so they would have some food in there bellies.As both liked cocktail for lunch.But I would walk them across the street and make sure thay had a hot meal ...Sorry to see him go .May god bless .
Richie's not looking well either.
I know last trip down it looked so thin all skin and bones..All he could eat was soup,as his teeth where very bad.Would love to help him but you can lead a horse to water ,but you can not make him drink...I see another sad day comming sorry to say .Richie is a Genius and knows all about the Animals and marine life and has I think written books about belize.
I think Wet Willy's was the first place to start Karaoke (this time around) and when Kristen owned it JD was always there following her around like a puppy dog.
He liked to imitate Louie Armstrong and for the life of me I can't remember what it was he always sang. I can see him and almost hear the words.

Five years ago he was able bodied and working as a painter. Demon rum got a hold of him and he couldn't/wouldn't shake it. When the staff infection set in on his foot he was supposed to stop drinking and take antibiotics - - - "ay there's the rub." I think that started about two years ago and slowly moved up his leg.

I have a sadly funny video of JD one Carnival night while the kids were painting and I was sitting in front of Manelly's taking pictures. JD was in his usual pirate garb. He staggered up and said "There are people down there (pointing toward Cholo's) who don't even know who they are. Heck, I don't even know who I am" then he passed out on the bench.

I have to remember "That but for the grace of god go I.
[Linked Image]
we miss you JD
marty, as always, thank you for a wonderful picture calling to mind the best...
JD, you will be missed by the many who loved you...
Taco has a good recent picture of him too. Capt Jeff, I have the same memory of him, sitting outside Coconets on the bench with this other guy (maybe Richie???). Sad indeed. May he rest in peace.
I was there 2 weeks ago and had a great time with him at wet willys. He was complaining of his leg (it looked horrible). He was singing his heart out at karaoke. I laughed so much with his parody singing I almosted peed my pants. So much fun. He will surely be missed. I have to go check my camcorder, I think I have him singing on it.hmmm
RIP

to JD

BELIZE LAST PIRATE
...great picture, Marty. JD really looks tall in this picture...I so need a simular picture. Would like to be thought of a being tall, despite...
Richie (R.L) Wood' (and the Reids') Field Guide to Ambergris Caye is a truly important work. Regrettably it is out of print. Happily, Marty has kept it alive online.

--Lan Sluder
Rest In Peace JD.. You will be missed, looks like there is a void to fill on Karaoke Nights.

Mark and Francesca
Doesn't seem right not seeing him and Richie together - guess Bruce and JD are having a great time together again now! JD always knew how to keep his sense of humor no matter how broke or poorly he felt.
I stayed for two months at the Spindrift Hotel back in Jan of 2006 and upon entering the Pier Lounge, met JD. He bought me my first Belikin. It will be sad to play tonight and not see him at the Chicken Drop.
Sorry to hear this. wow...we never know when our time is. Knowing Belize hospitals, it makes me sad at the thought of anyone dying there. I'd like to know JD's history BEFORE he ended up in Belize. Who was he? Did he have family, kids, etc.?
Sandshaker-better than most VA hospitals that you have in the US
He did have children back in the UK. From what I remember he had 2 daughters and a son from two different mothers. He spoke highly of all, though it seemed that he was not in touch with one of the daughters anymore. It was a very hazy conversation over bingo a while back so my exact details may be off unfortunately.
Originally Posted by Pedro1
Sandshaker-better than most VA hospitals that you have in the US

That statement is absolutely untrue! I have been a patient in both and there is no comparison. The VA hospital in Houston is a top-notch facility and enjoys the professors of Baylor as its top medical staff.
The KHMH is not even close!
PERSONAL ATTACKS ARE A NO_NO
Does anyone know if there was a burial and, if so, has anyone stepped up with arrangements for a grave marker?
He was taken in for his leg and probably died of a heart attack while he was unconscious.
Rest in Peace John Dunlop.
We are taking contributions or at least Grant is -he is being cremated today and we plan on putting his ashes in the sea on tuesday night at Caribbean Villas on tuesday at 5.00pm-things might change -Jim Jammohammed is going to the cremation today-a bunch of people are picking up the costs so contributions will be welcome.
How could I make a contribution?
Hello everyone my name is Justine and i am JDs daughter, i have been passed your site as you have all posted about my dad, i had been in contact with him while he was away and had been informed of his passing, we are all devastated here in england, i have been struggling to contact people in belize as regards his funeral and i had no idea that the funeral had gone ahead on saturday, the family wished to have some readings done at the memorial, we have many happy memories of our dad, quite different to the ones you have, his wishes were to be cremated and his ashes scattered, i have been told that a memorial will be held on monday is this true? Please if anyone has any information i am desperate to know exactly what is happening, the feeling of helplessness is overwhelming and we miss our dad x
Justine, it looks like the funeral/memorial service is scheduled for Tuesday around 5pm. You can send the readings to me via the PM function on this board. You click on my name at the left of this post and you will have an option to send a PM. I will ensure the readings are placed into the right hands so that your wishes will be observed. I will also see if we can have somebody video the ceremony and deliver a disk to you.

Your Dad had some great times on the island and as you can see by the notes on this message board, he will be missed.

If anyone has anymore memories and photos of my dad please post them, his family would appreciate it greatly, we are comforted in the fact that he had so many friends that cared about him.x
Greetings,
I'm JD's eldest son, Kris. It warms the heart to know that Dad will be so missed by you guys. We were all worried that he may have died alone with no friends, but it seems like he had a lot of loving pals over there.

He had 2 sons, two daughters by the way, Ross,Kris, Justine and Joanne.
If you're curious about him I'll let you in on a few details.
He was born in Scotland but he was orphaned and grew up in London. We lived in Hastings, him, my Mum, my brother Ross and me. He was a taxi driver ever since I was born.

My last memory was of him rolling out the driveway on his way to the airport, thinking he'd be back a year later with his tail between his legs. That was 10 years ago.
He used to say one day he'd drop everything and go live like a pirate somewhere in the tropics, he was obsessed with the sea. Sailing, the history of it. I thought he was just saying that but one day he actually did it, chased his dream.
Clearly, putting his ashes in the sea is what he would have wanted.

He was a mysterious bloke really, even to his own family, so there's not a lot I can tell you about his past. But he was nice to be around, and he had a hell of a sense of humour, used to crack us all up with little comments during boring movies and such. He was well loved, a good dad. Stern but generous. He never did have much money but always a few quid to give out if you needed it, and he was extremely good with his hands- I have memories of him converting our top floor into an apartment and us making a pool table together once.
Used to be a well-built guy too, nothing like the skin&bones he was in Belize, played football 4-5 times a week. It's funny to hear that he was a drinker before he died as in England he was teetotal- we never saw him touch a drop of it.

I always imagined myself coming over there one day, maybe rough it out with him for a bit and getting to know my old man better. Makes me sad to think it'll never happen now. I know he was living poorly over there now. Sad thing is we must've told him a million times we'd whip him round some cash for a ticket back to England if times ever got too hard, but he was a stubborn old coot and I guess his heart was firmly set in Belize.

Well, if there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask.
Personally would really like to know what he was up to over there, his e-mails were so sporadic and thin in detail that it's all a complete mystery - didn't even know he'd been remarried.
Also, if anyone has any vids/pictures of him we'd REALLY appreciate getting our hands on them! If so, I can be contacted at [email protected]
And could we kindly ask if somebody could film the scattering of the ashes? It would be a nice to see that. Check the wind direction first though eh?
JD RIP
To JD's Family,

Yesterday we had a memorial for your dad. People told their stories of him, we sang karaoke (badly, but not as badly as your dad!), and had many a toast to him. I imagine it would be hard all these years worrying about him over here, wondering...

there were a lot of people yesterday, and there will be more today for the ashes.

i guess the thing about JD's life here that you should know is that he really truly was loved. San Pedro is a place where people love you for WHO you are...not what you have. JD was known by many of us, myself including, as almost the welcoming committee. He was so open, friendly, lovely and kind that he was just about the first person people met when they got here.

He had a great friend in Richie, who sadly, died just a few days after him. I guess it was a testament to their friendship, and goes to show how much love they had.

i dont know what we can tell you about him in the time we had him with us, except to say he was loved....a lot.

i am so sorry for your loss,
Lara
Hi sons and daughters of JD ---- a little bit about how he sustained himself .......... JD was a professional painter here on the island - as in house painter, not on canvas. He was the most meticulous guy in that respect - did a great job, charged a fair price and cleaned up after the job was done. He indeed had a wry wit and a genuine sparkle in his eye.
Last time I talked to him he said he had stopped drinking to try to improve his health. He was a decent man - well loved.
Treasure the knowledge that he was doing what he wanted to do in a place that accepted him and let him be himself.
Diane so well put and so true..
I am sorry I missed the memorial at the Pier Lounge.

I plan to take a notebook to the ashes ceremony so that folks can put down a few comforting words and memories. I am also requesting that those that might have photos or other memorabilia of JD be kind enough as to share such pix with us. You can email pix to: <[email protected]>

We will be working on sending a cd of photos to send to the family along with the book.

Thanking all of you in advance.
To all the people who shared my dads life thankyou, its a great comfort to hear all about his life while he was there, although we missed him greatly it is wonderful to know that other people got to know the great man that he was x
JD epitomized what is best about the island. It doesn't matter who you are, what you do or how you look. As long as you're friendly, have a good story and a good heart you're welcome. JD had all of those. I've only been there twice (both times this year) and San Pedro won't seem the same without JD.
Hello all, I am a rare visitor to this site, but have to say something about our lost friend, J.D.
We had a little ceremony for him yesterday evening at Caribbean Villas, a beautiful reading by the Reverend David, and then his good friend Steve had the honour of scattered his ashes off the dock. A wreath was sent from his family back in England, who it seems knew a different J.D. to the one we did. We are hoping to compile a disc of footage and photos to send to his family back in the U.K.
I am flying to England this Sunday morning, if anyone has anything that they would like to send to his family there, I will be more than happy to take it along with me and get it to them. You can drop it off to me at the Pelican Properties office during working hours, my name is Grant.
We also have a condolences book, for anyone that wants to put their feelings into words. This is the same book that was at the Pier Lounge on Monday and Caribbean Villas last night. The book will be with J.D.s family next week.
Finally, we have a substantial bill for J.D.s medical treatment and cremation that us Brits here are covering, but any donations will be gratefully received.
Thank you all.
I will be in London some time within the next month. If there is anything that can be MAILED from London to other parts of England, let me know.

We met JD for on our very first time to San Pedro at (butch's) Bar. A local divemaster and JD decided they were going to braid my long hair with straws...my husband Ralph just shook his head at the 3 of us .I knew he was laughing as much inside as we were on the outside. I must say that they did a fabulous job and I will never forget that moment in time.May your soul be at peace JD
Like someone just recently said...AC and San Pedro will not be the same without people like JD and Richie. It makes me sad to know that the people that I looked forward to seeing when I was on the island will not be there when I come back...and actually with the changes that have taken place over the past several years, I might not be back...and that makes me sad.
yat
What I have been contemplating the past few days is this: In the relatively recent past, SP has lost FOUR (and I mean this only in a positive way) island "characters". No need to mention names as we all know who.

Who on the island will take their places as those "cultural icons"? Who will be one of those faces we all look for upon return? Who will rise to represent the face of SP, the image we re-visit in our minds, when not there.........who?

T.V. Tom ?
LOVE T.V. Tom! I was thinking the same thing about the recent deaths of such great people, klc, - and T.V. Tom came to mind. He seems to be doing well (last time I saw him). He is a character and certainly an asset to the island. I met him on my first trip and will never forget him.

Added a - or , or something... klc is alive and kickin, so i hear! laugh
KLC's GONE????? I promise, I had NOTHING to to with it!! laugh
Leo the singer/coconut tree climber/ palapa climber at Fidos.
and mebbe Walter, Mr Biggest 'doo in BZ?

Thx for resurrecting me, TQ wink
Klc, You are really still on this earth, Dang. grin

I wanted your phone book.
Got a feeling your book is bigger....
something to be said for quality over quanity. wink
wink
Nothing beats a quantity of quality.
except maybe a royal flush!
"Nothing beats a quantity of quality."..........why u think he wants mine?
Dont need yours anymore, I found my good one. Its a tome.
also something to be said for being happy with what you have wink sounds like everyone has arrived! smile

dcg, you don't flush. oh wait, silly me - that's blush! laugh you are, however, royalty in my book! wink
laugh - KLC!
Never happy with what I have. Always want to upgrade and get more.
smile Thanks LA!

And you're tops in mine! wink
ah, the eternal search... everyone needs a hobby! laugh
My hobbies make money.
My hobbies take money!
Exactly why you need more
One of my favorite authors pointed out that for many of us, the problem is not that we want too much, but that we are satisfied with so little.
Not on my watch.
like the Rolling Stones?
Play me some Merle Haggard, I aint got time for the Rolling Stones.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board