AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: collyk lethal yellowing - 08/16/08 11:04 PM
Lethal Yellowing is spreading through our neighbourhood rapidly, taking some beautiful mature trees with it. We are currently planting palms and while we have tried to acquire some disease resistant strains (although it seems that there is no such thing as a truly LY resistant palm), we are considering starting a vaccination programme. We have read a lot on LY on the web and on ambergriscaye.com but would really like to hear from someone who is doing it themselves.
Posted By: Nancy1340 Re: lethal yellowing - 08/16/08 11:12 PM
Here's a site with some information on it about lethal Yellowing.

http://www.palmtreesaver.com/LYinfo.htm

We saw the results of it on Nevis last month. 100 year old palms gone.

Good luck.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: lethal yellowing - 08/17/08 04:13 AM
Collyk...

We've injected our trees up here for years... PM or e-mail anytime... very easy process to do.

Beatle seems more of a problem here up north than yellowing...

Jeff/Azul

Posted By: shuffles Re: lethal yellowing - 08/17/08 02:08 PM
Colly,

I too ordered the stuff from FLA. Easy to do and relatively inexpensive. They didn't have the stuff in Belize at the time, but it is a tetramyicin (SP?) formula for trees. Email is [email protected] We actually emailed him pictures of our trees so that he could give us the right doses and the correct sized "sleeves" that you put directly into the tree and inject through them every time.
Posted By: elbert Re: lethal yellowing - 08/17/08 03:01 PM
The beetle is the bigger problem. Most of the time its the beetle and lethal yellowing gets the rap.
Injecting for the lethal yellow is a good idea but don't neglect the beetle.
cut, burn at the right time and plant more than they can eat.
IMHO
Posted By: collyk Re: lethal yellowing - 08/17/08 03:06 PM
Nancy. Thanks. I'd already emailed them. Great minds think alike.

SF Jeff, I will message you.

Shuffles, thanks for that. I wasn't sure whether or not it was a problem with the customs or BAHA to import antibiotics.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board