AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: canukgirl ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 04:05 PM
Some one has to have a solution! I have tiny ants in my apartment. They seem to be attracted to anything sweet. If I leave a glass without rinsing it overnight and it had jiuce in it, there are 70 ants in the cup in the morning! Ugh! Where are they coming from? I put a drop of this Terro Ant Killer on the ground on tin foil, and it seems to attract them and they drink it, but there seems to be no end to them! I don't know if I'm killing the ones I had, or attracting more!

Someone has to have a great way of getting rid of them!
Posted By: kwalkpt Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 04:10 PM
There is a caulk like stick that you can get from Simon Quan - they have it behind the counter - that you can use to set up a barrier that the ants do not cross. Think it costs $1BZ stick. It does not kill them but at least keeps them off of surfaces - rub it around the edges of your counters or tables and they will not cross it.
Posted By: canukgirl Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 04:52 PM
that is really cool. I will def go there today and try it! Where is Simon Quan?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 05:54 PM
I believe it is simply boric acid (not as bad as the name implies.) You can buy it on the island, I think at hardware stores. You sprinkle it wherever the little ants are and it creates a barrier. I believe they are attracted to it and take it back to their nests and I think it kills them.

Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 07:01 PM
Boric acid is effective in killing ants and cockroaches. It is generally considered an organic pesticide. It won't sicken people or animals.
I believe the chaulk you speak of has more than boric acid in in, some pretty bad chemicals, as you can not buy this product in the US.
There is a product locally available called "Terro Ant Killer", it is boric acid based. It's a gel that you place in the ants path, they take the bait back to the nest and the nest dies. I was given a bottle to get rid of the sugar ants at Island Perk (we use sugar based syrups for the drinks)and in a weeks time, no more ants. We haven't had a problem in almost a year now. I last saw some bottles at Harmouch for about $10 BZ. I can't recommend this product enough.
Coleen
Posted By: Short Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 07:25 PM
Why would you want to kill the ants? They nature's cleaning crew and also eliminate annoying insects. As for your dirty dishes or glasses, when you don't wash them immediately, just rinsing them keeps the ants away. We keep our sugar in a zip-lock bag in the refrigerator. You can also put a cup on a saucer filled with water to keep it away from ants, and to keep them off a table, put the legs from the table in plastic cups filled with water.

Although it's human nature to kill everything, don't fight nature; work with it!
Posted By: SimonB Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 07:30 PM
Ummm, could you check your spelling please.
Posted By: SimonB Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 07:47 PM
Whew, thanks!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 08:59 PM
Thanks goodness I don't have an ant problem. Don't know why, my hubby probably does, but I am one happy camper.

Posted By: canukgirl Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 09:03 PM
Why would I want to kill ants? Come on, I'm an advocate on some things, but ants in my house.......Also, I of course usually wash my dishes or at least rinse them, and I have my sugar in the fridge, but I am not about to rot the legs of my table in order to "save the ants" Those suckers are dead.....sorry!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 09:30 PM
see if you can find a product called Terro . .it's a sticky sugary poison. you put a couple of drops on a piece of paper and leave it in the area you've been seeing the ants. they take it back to their nest and, in a day or two, no more ants.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 09:34 PM
But you gotta be careful. If you have kids or pets you have to be very discriminating with your poisons.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/29/08 09:35 PM
Amanda, agreed . . we only put it on the counter behind things. you only need to use a piece of paper about 1 inch square for those tiny sugar ants.
Posted By: Short Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/30/08 06:38 AM
I have never lived in an ants-free-house in my entire life so my opinion is biased. As long as they don't march in columns through my house I have no problem with them and leave them alone. Only on the mainland of Belize, you have to leave your house for a few days when the travelers ants come in (they leave your house cleaner than clean afterwards though).

Leaving a dirty orange juice glass overnight is nothing, canukgirl; when you really have them trained you can leave your dishes dirty and they will clean them for you in a few days, so they are ready again to use! Look at the bright side of nature!!

<<Sigh>> some people are just meant to live in concrete... and yes, you can kill the lil harmless sugar ants with the poisonous drops.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/30/08 06:59 AM
Now I feel just terrible, and I don't even live in concrete!!
Posted By: dabunk Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/30/08 02:13 PM
We bought a house here in Pg that was infested with the tiny sugar ants(crazy ants they are called here} I bought the Terro and in two weeks they were gone. It is sold in a trap here in PG so that the kids and pets cannot get into it, as well as the bottle you pour out on a piece of paper.
Posted By: rubyd Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/30/08 04:20 PM
Thanks for this post. Having the ants do the dishes for me is one thing. Having them do the dishes before I'm finished eating is a whole 'nother story!
Posted By: NJG Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 08/30/08 08:26 PM
A friend told me to try this remedy and so far it has worked.
Mix it in a spray bottle.
2cups of vinegar
4tbs of liq.dish soap
1/4 cup of water
just spray any place you see the ants, they will go away.
At first I only did small area to test it, but when I saw the ants gone, now I just clean all my counters and sink area with this solution and do not have any so far.
Posted By: BusinessInMotion Re: ANTS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY! - 09/02/08 06:19 AM
Here's a trick my great aunt taught me. Ants won't walk across ground black pepper so you put a line of pepper at doors, windows etc. Hope that helps.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board