AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Bike Rental vs. bike purchase

Posted By: Greenthumb

Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/29/08 08:56 PM

Well thanks to everyone...
I need a bike for when I am there Jan. 3rd. thru Jan. 12th.
Peter recommended me buying a bike for that period... I am fine with that as long as the cost is competitive to a rental. So what I need is for some help on letting me know what bike rental rates are per day and if someone has a bike to sell, let me know and the cost. Peter also said that if I buy a bike I should bring my own lock as they are not readily available on the Island. Do I need to do this as I will have to go buy one this week?
Also if anyone would be willing to borrow me there bike for the week it would be most appreciated. Or willing to rent at a discounted rate?

Thanks!
Nick
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/29/08 08:59 PM

Keep it simple. Rent a bike after you get here. It will come with a lock. No muss, no fuss.
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/29/08 10:53 PM

Bike Rentals:
All beach bike rentals include a:

beach basket
lock
Prices range from $6-$12 per day depending on length of rental. Contact us by email to reserve your bikes before you arrive!

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/29/08 11:10 PM

There was my nice post.

Here's my devil's advocate post.

You want to move to AC and "start a business" but....
first visit without wife and kids in tow and looking for "cheap" or "discounted" travel / accomodations is not a good way to start.

Island life is expensive. Unique and potentially successful business ideas will NOT be jumping out at you on arrival.

If moving there and starting a successful business was an option then virtually ALL of the non-local posters on this board would move there today.

My suggestion, visit with the family first. Explore being a transplant second.

We all want to be transplants there. Most of us have yet to come up with a financially feasable way to make the dream a reality.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 01:11 AM

In other words...if you gotta worry about the small stuff, like the cost of a bike rental...you shouldn't be coming here.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 02:36 AM

Why on earth would anyone want to move to SP and start a business ? If you wish to move there and retire, be sure your bank account can cover your wish's. Other wise, stay where you are until you can afford the move. I see a diaster in the making. JMHO.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 02:42 AM

Some sound comments here.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:14 AM

Thanks all,
First, as a family we have talked a lot about this and had plenty of complete(Including extended family) meetings on this.
Secondly, I am currently a business owner and it is not that I am worried about the cost of a bike rental, but if you do not pay extra close attention to those small things and expenses it will drive you bankrupt. Take your own house hold budgets for example. If most of you would create an excel spread sheet on all that you spend money on, you may find that the largest percentage of moines going out per month are on those little extras that you pick up at the store or that extra beer or two or more that you order at the bar and pay for it the next morning when you could be could do just fine on less. Now do not get me wrong I know because I am guilty of doing those exact things. I know exactly what my monthly fixed expenses are here at home and yet last summer I always seemed to be short of what I thought I should have. Went back and looked at records and found that in any given month I had spend $500 plus dollars on eating out, gas station drinks and snacks, coffee shop stops, etc.
So all I am doing right now is trying to put a budget together as what the trip will cost. Also, my wife was planning on coming and we are not happy that it did not work out, although it is not that easy to find someone to take 3 kids ages 6,5,1 for 1 or 2 weeks. Especially since most of our friends already have 2 or more kids, adding 3 more and that will just send you to the loony farm. Melissa is planning a trip down there with her Mom around the last week of Feb or First week of March. So that is also going to cost extra as it would have been less expensive for us to go together. If you do not at least try to make a dream a reality, than what is the point in having that Dream!
As for affording the move.. I compare it to the old analogy that we have heard from so many, and that is, you should wait to have kids till you can afford it...ha... If most did that, I believe we would be turning 80 before our kids were graduating High School and when and how do you know that you are every ready. For most the more you have the more you want, than you can always carry that excuse that I am not ready.. There is no guarantee that this is or will work out for us, but we must try to find out.
I do not plan on starting a business there, I am interested in buying an existing business and have been watching a few that I am interested in.

But, again I appreciate all the comments, it is good to have those devil advocates, they are the ones that will help us succeed in what we are looking for. I do not wish to move there and retire, already used to working 14-17 hour days. And it stinks! I think 10-12 is enough.

Thanks Much!
Nick
Posted By: Empress4

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:21 AM

... and unfortunately we are too young to think about retiring!!!
I agree with what my husband said. I really wanted to go down with him (and reign him in if he gets too excited) but we have so little family members that can watch our kids and like he said, most of our really good friends already have multiple kids (and cars that wont fit any extra).

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:24 AM

I quit

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:46 AM

Please do not quit Ernie!!!! I really would like to meet you and talk if you are going to be there while I am.. Remember! quitting is never an option laugh
Posted By: papashine

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 03:00 PM

Why?, if quitting is "never an option" are you thinking of quitting the States and moving to Belize, don't get me wrong but IMHO quitting for the right reason{s} is always an option. grin

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 03:06 PM

You know you have been a boarder too long when......

Ernie AND Jesse agree with one of your posts!

Mrs. Greenthumb, TAKE THE KIDS!, everyone else who has them does.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:21 PM

On budgetting, why don't you take advice from people who already live here? There are always extras and although they're often difficult to analyse and quantify, that doesn't stop them happening. Accept the sorts of amounts that people have been saying it will cost you to live here. If your finances are so tight that careful analysis of detail could sway your decision then you're sailing too close to the wind. Belize is an expensive place to live, AC especially.

A point of detail. When I suggested buying a bike rather than renting one I thought you were staying for a month or more. For a short stay certainly rent. But I meant what I said about locks - most of those available here are rubbish.
Posted By: skippy

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 04:56 PM

You say you are currently a business owner. What kind of business? How long in business? This might help the SP ex-pats advise you further.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 06:38 PM

I own a Landscape construction and maintenance Company. I have been doing this for 8 yrs.
Nick
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 07:40 PM

Defining a budget makes sense to me - it is way to easy to spend more than you think here.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 08:00 PM

Thanks Laurie!

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 08:23 PM

"Our yearly revenue usually runs between _____ to ________ with 8-10 employees."

Nick

Then you can afford to take the wife and kids.

Hell, you can afford to take me and my family too. I'll be your tour guide.
Posted By: skippy

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 09:06 PM

Landscaping? So instead of your hiring Belizean immigrants in your business, they can hire you in theirs!

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 09:28 PM

Tommy & Sonia,
Don't get to far ahead of yourself.... remember that is gross Revenue... Not to say we do poorly, but you say it is expensive there and I believe you, well it is very expensive to live here as well..
That reminds me, I have been meaning to ask all of you.. Could I get some examples of what you consider an expensive monthly budget for a family?(Husband, Wife, 2-3 Kids)

Nick
Posted By: papashine

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 09:41 PM

School for 3 children USD 825.00 per month.
Food for family USD 3-400.00 per week.
Rent USD 1000-2000.00 per month. for 3 bedroom.
Living in Sanpedro---Priceless!!

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:14 PM

Nick, your revenues gross, net or otherwise are none of anyone's business.

Posting that info in a public forum I don't think is in your best interest. You could go back and delete that info by hitting the "edit" tab below that post.

Not trying to tell you what to do just a friendly recomendation.

My post was intended to be humorous and not a stab at you personally so please consider it just that.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:24 PM

Nick, when I lived there it cost me between $75K and $100K annually. We did have a nice condo on the beach, took most meals out and entertained often. You can do it for less and you can do it for more as well.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:26 PM

Joking about taking me and my family.

NOT joking about you taking your's.

Take the whole family and enjoy. Job hunt after that.

Ernie's numbers are close to what I estimated our anual cost would be with a new moderate size house on our land. A "nice" boat that would be used frequently drives the number much higher.

If you can't live comfortably, eat out often, drink when you want, boat / dive when you want then what's the point of living there?

A friend of a friend just called to ask for help working in Hawaii. This guy is working himself to death and "needs help" per my friend. My response....."why live in Hawaii when all you can do is work just to pay to be there?"

At least in Hawaii there is work to be had. In Belize there may be none or none that pay well enough to live on. That's not even considering the very real possiblity that you may not get a work permit from the Belizean government. Currently I cannot obtain a "work for hire" permit only a "volunteer" permit for my profession. And I am limitied to volunteering in a government clinic only. I can't even work for free in a private clinic.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:33 PM

Thanks Tom & Sonia,
The entire family will travel at some point, although I have already booked my flight which is now full and booked by Hotel. I did take your recommendation... Also as I posted on my other thread, Melissa(wife) and her mom will be coming down sometime at the end of Feb or beginning of march. It will be nice to have her reaction and experience separate from mine. We should get together while I am there?
Nick

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:35 PM

I am so glad you came back Ernie...
we would like a modest home, need nothing fancy or on the beach and not sure how much we would eat out, only time will tell.
Nick

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:36 PM

I didnt have a boat Tommy, but I looked at a few very nice one's in the $25K range. When you get to the $100K range, whats another $25 smile

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/30/08 10:46 PM

House on the beach, boat, fuel, food, drinks, A/C, school tuition, cart, maintainence, ect. ect.

All adds up quick if you're being honest with yourself about your needs / wants while living the dream.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 12:32 AM

I find it hard to believe Ernie's figures. I've lived here for 7 years and on personal living (trying to ignore business matters) I reckon I've spent 1/4 of that. BUT ..... I don't have children, don't live on the beach (actively don't want to), don't run a golf cart (again, I don't see the need 95% of the time, but then I've preferred cycling for short trips all my life), and don't often go out for expensive restaurant meals. I did run a few boats, but that was for my business. IMO US$100k is profligate, though I'm sure you could spend that amount and more if you tried.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 02:13 AM

Well, Mr Jones, I guess you can tell Im not to concerned regarding what you beleive. It all depends on one's life style. I have personal friends there that would classify me as being on a budget.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 02:37 AM

I agree that you might be able to spend an extreme amount of money if you want just about anywhere you hang your hat. I will like to show those that are willing to get together with me while I am there a monthly household budget that I put together based on what I have read from varies locations. It would be most helpful to see how accurate I am.

'What's the point of Living there!' We I guess I will get a better idea after being there, but I can tell you this. You can drive yourself into the ground working here and get up in the morning and spit outside and watch it freeze before it hits the ground or be picked up and carried away with mosquitos. Over all the summers are great, but the winters are absolutly S*@^#!!!!!. I do not mind working my butt off and if I am going to do that than I might as well be have warmth, sand between my toes and be able to see the sun set over the sea, not just behind some tree branches.
I know,..... I go off sometimes, but I just do not enjoy the freezing tundra and snow which means your stuck inside your house or driving in it for many months out of the year...
I would agree with you Peter on that the more I research San Pedro the more I think I would walk or ride a bike, it just does not seem big enough for the need of a golf cart. There are those times that it will be nice or needed but not all the time and I think we can save money by not using it as much. Well I should say, at least myself, my wife wants a six seater.. She is all about an easier life for herself smile

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 02:49 AM

Ernie - I didn't mean to offend. I was just trying to show Greenthumb that I thought yours was quite an expensive lifestyle and that he needn't think that he would have to spend those sorts of sums himself. I'd be interested to know how many people here do spend that sort of sum annually - it's more than many people earn, including those in western countries. I don't know many people even in England who are in a position to spend that much.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 02:56 AM

Peter, off the top of my head, I could name dozens, which I wont.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 03:29 AM

Hi Greenthumb
Just keep in mind that the focus here in Belize is to employ Belize citizens and help support the economy (which is the right thing to do). BTW - there are locations in the US with great weather. I happen to think Tampa is pretty perfect. Just depends on what your are looking for.

Ambergris Caye is not a cheap place to live and not an easy place to work if you are American. However, a wonderful place to live if you are not too high maintenance. Just one girls opinion smile
-Jean

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
Peter, off the top of my head, I could name dozens, which I wont.

Ernie - I really don't like the way this conversation is heading.

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 05:41 AM

Thanks SnoopysMom,
As I said Previously on my other thread on moving to SP, I currently employ all mexicans except one and would prefer to employ no americans(No offense) but at it seems that those that have less in life in other countries seem to gain a greater appreciation for work and working harder. I think Americans have had it to easy for some time now, which is quickly changing with this economy that we are in now.
The US has many great weather locations and Florida is wonderful, although the economy there is worse than most in the US at this time.
High maintenance! what is that smile My wife says that it does not take a lot of things(materialistic items) for me to be happy, maybe just emotionally(and that is all on her smile )

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 05:50 AM

Yea... I would like to point out, he is looking to own a business and hire Belizians and I am hoping to telecommute. I do want to agree with what he said about getting out of the frozen tundra here... both of us (along with my Mother) have about had it with snow and cold and windchill factor. We have lived in this stuff our whole lives and it hasn't gotten any easier.
And to clarify, we need a six seater because with the 2 of us, my Mom and the three kids we need a "family vehicle"!!!
And he is definetly not as high maintainence as when I met him!! laugh

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 06:40 AM

There are 6-seater golf carts, at a price.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 12/31/08 01:51 PM

My two cents worth --- being a long-time, full-time resident of San Pedro, and having made many a budget, I can tell you that for us the two largest items in our annual budget are house insurance and health insurance. Not advisable to do without either one.
Travel is another item that you may find less "optional" than you imagine. For instance if significant people in your life become critically ill, or pass away ............
I love living here. I also advise caution when subjecting kids to your dreams. Think "Mosquito Coast".

Re: Bike Rental vs. bike purchase - 01/01/09 04:31 AM

Yea, unfortunately most of our close relatives have died... we have my Mom and brother and sister and Grandpa but otherwise our fathers and the rest of our Grandparents are gone. That is part of the reason we are thinking about this.
And yes, you need insurance, I agree.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board