AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: spsun Bandage International returns .... - 05/11/09 11:51 PM
Properly applied first aid training can save lives, reduce recovery time and quite possibly mean the difference between temporary disability or lifelong disability for the victim, that is the aim behind the Bandage International Team that has found their way back to San Pedro for its annual visit. Bandage International is a group of emergency medicine professionals comprised of paramedics, nurses and doctors who are committed to teaching emergency health responders or basic First Aid in developing countries, including Belize.

Click http://sanpedrosun.blogspot.com/2009/05/bandage-international-returns.html
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Bandage International returns .... - 05/16/09 11:04 PM
I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the emergency responder course with Darryl Chickness (Advanced Care Paramedic) and Bart Strak (Critical Care Paramedic) of Bandage International http://www.bandageinternational.org/page/page/3838043.htm and Ms Winnie of the Belize Red Cross who were infinitely patient and thoroughly engaging. I know that I learned a lot and speaking with other attendees we all left with a feeling of confidence that we are able to provide basic first response care. We learned basic first aid, how to perform CPR and also how to use an AED to name just a few skills.

The instructors donated their time to us and it was greatly appreciated. The course only cost a "donation" of BZ $10 to the Belize Red Cross.

Many resorts took the initiative and advantage of this course and sent their staff to learn these life saving techniques. It has been documented that CPR and AED (automated external defibrillators) do save lives. I would like to urge each and every hotel, condo complex, resort, and large office complex to seriously consider and budget to purchase a full basic emergency responder kit and an AED*** Be aware that some AED units are one use only machines. In order to receive professional advice please contact Darryl at Bandage International. He can take orders for AED's and bring them to your office/resort and demonstrate how simple they are to use. [email protected]

Bandage International is a group of volunteers that take money out of their own pockets to pay for their flights and to ship down the demonstration materials and equipment required to run the course. Belize Legacy and Victoria House were kind enough to supply housing.

Here are some shots of the class:
http://www.pixagogo.com/3668224311

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THIS HAPPEN!

I hope that there will be an advanced course in July - if there is I will be signing up.

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Bandage International returns .... - 05/16/09 11:15 PM
Five members of the South Ambergris Caye Neighbourhood Watch (SACNW) patrol team attended the course.

The SACNW/ San Pedro Police Department substation is manned 24 hours per day 7 days per week and is equipped with an extensive first aid kit and AED along with the personnel to assist in case of an emergency in the South or anybody coming in from Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley area. You can call the patrol on VHF radio channel 74 or telephone 610 4911.

The San Pedro Police Department tel: 226-2022 is the place to call in case of a medical emergency in town - the police will contact the doctor on call and assist in coordinating with the Polyclinic staff.

Posted By: Cayemen Re: Bandage International returns .... - 05/17/09 05:17 PM
We must really thank Bart and Darryl for this professional Training. All of us could profit
from there daily based knowledge from there work in Canada, witch made this course even more interesting.

We are looking forward to the Advanced Training, which will be in July or September.
Us many of you don't realize, Darryl and Bart are not paid and using there holidays to train us. Not many people in the today world are so devoted to help, witch makes them
special.

I'm enjoyed this Training very much and looking forward to work witch A.C.E.R.

There a many other charity organizations here in Belize, if your are interested to
help, give or join, here is a List of them.

Belize Relief and Charity Projects

Cu you all in July on the next training
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board