AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Hattieville Prison doctor needs help

Posted By: silkpainter

Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/06/02 08:50 PM

A friend of mine is one of the Cuban doctors sent to Belize on a humanitarian aid mission. He is the only doctor for the men's prison. Its a discouraging job at best. He spends all day sewing up stab wounds, doing minor surgeries and trying to treat every ailment you could think of, from infections to killer diahreah. All of this, with little or no medicine. So, I went thru my medicine cabinet and gave him anything I could.
Here is a partial list of what he needs.
ANY antibiotics, pain killers, anti-inflammatories, even the ends of prescriptions, partial prescriptions, in the original prescription bottles so he can see the miligrams and dosage.
Over the counter drugs like: triple antibiotic creams, anti fungal creams, hydrocortisone creams
Anti-daihreah medicines like imodium or kaopectate
Gauze bandages
Aspirin
Tylenol
Ibuprophen
medical tape
ace bandages

Things that can only come from a doctor:
Sutures

I'll try to find a drop off point in San Pedro, or the medicine could be put in a package with my name on it and left at your hotel front desk (if you're not too far north) and I'll get it picked up.

I know this is really off the normal tourism subject, but I hate to see someone work so hard trying to help, without the proper resources. I really dont want this thread to turn into a discussion of what the Belize government should or shouldnt do, because we all know that Hattieville is probably one of the worst prisons in Central America, and we all know what should be done, and it isnt being done. So, if you can help in any way, please contact me.
[email protected] (International) 011-501-206-0206 or from within Belize 206-0206.
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com
Posted By: KBG

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 12:34 AM

Silkpainter
I have visited friends at road gang "work camps" in South Alabama and have viewed Hattieville from outside the fence. I can see Hattieville is "tuff", it is difficult to judge what is acceptable punishment in other cultures. If you come for an area with nothing and go to a prison where there is more than you had at home is it punishment??? Not judging just wondering out loud. Not coming to Belize until 12/31 may still be able to bring some medication/supplies for Cuban doctor. Keep in touch.
KB G frown
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 01:51 AM

Logically, it seems that if they have a Cuban doctor assigned to the prison in the first place, there is some intent of the authorities to provide health care to the prisoners.

The outlying rural clinics staffed with a Cuban doctor in other parts of Belize are about as poorly supplied through GOB medical authorities as it sounds like the prison is. In other words, it's a skill that's pretty much going to waste and one wonders why there can't be even basic supplies, never mind prescription drugs. I do feel sorry for the doctors stuck in this government to government arrangement to provide skilled medicine where the need exists and there is no tangible support for it. The only real solution to fill the void is people to people charity where the target needing help will never be able help itself.
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 02:39 AM

I think you will find that the prison management and possibly, the real estate, has been privatized.
Now they need to make $$.
From bad to worse?

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 03:35 AM

Although there are many issues involved with this situation, this is simply an appeal for donations. If you have extra medicines or supplies.... wonderful, if you don't, I understand. Please call or email me, the info is above.
Thanks,
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 05:52 AM

I would rather give to the island and the people of Belize, than the Prison. Most of those there deserve what the get..... If you need supplies do it in the right way... Sorry for being so cold, but these people are the ones making Belize unsecured!!!!!
Thanks, Rick

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/07/02 10:11 PM

Simply not responding to this message is sufficent if you dont want to donate. I still have hope that this thread will not turn into a political or moral debate. Regardless of who the people are that he is treating, any doctor that came to me asking for humanitarian help, I will help. Just like I helped the Saga Society in San Pedro and the Humane Society in Belize City, even though I dont like dogs and cats, but when there is suffering or need and I can help, I do. Nuff said!
Thanks again,
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com
Posted By: KBG

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/08/02 01:28 AM

Lee,
Stay up on this board, there are many USA persons who will respond. As I said before Hattieville is nothing like anything in the US. I have seen this first hand and will respond keep it up.KBG shocked
Posted By: Teenah

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/08/02 02:20 AM

Lee,

I'm coming to AC in late December. I'll rustle up some supplies from my medically related friends and will touch base again with you as the time gets closer.

Teenah
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/08/02 02:54 AM

I have to disagree with you on this issue Rick.
Lee is not asking for donations for the prisoners. She is asking for donations for a doctor who is a friend of hers.
Regardless of where he practices or should we say...the place he gets stuck in this exchange program...he still needs the proper tools, equipment and supplies to work with.

Unfortunately Belize is not blessed with doctors who come from top notch medical schools or doctors who have a lot of years of experience under their belts doing critical care medicine.

The Cuban doctors that come here seem to do a fairly decent job and I for one would like to keep them here in case I need them one day.
If Belize continues to bring these doctors here and then never supports them with what they need, they will get discouraged and stop coming. What would be the point?

It's not about patching up prisoners. It's about appreciating decent health care when it comes knocking on your door. There is a bigger picture here than a prison doctor. Belize needs all the good doctors it can get!

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean about Hattieville being privatized. Tell me more. I'm definitely not sure how they could make money to support themselves. I'd like to know details about that arrangement.

Cheers! smile

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/08/02 01:19 PM

Actually, the doctors are systematically "volunteered" by Castro and his ilk to go to Belize for two years. They are separated from home and family in Cuba, making it a bigger shame that they don't even have anything to at least practice their skill with in Belize. But, as people, the one I've known is a great guy trying his best to do what he can with what he's been given. There are also nurses from Cuba in Belize on the same program.

There are excess doctors in Cuba having been educated by their gov't with not enough jobs to go to there. Still, no matter how they have come to Belize they have a valuable skill to give and the system they've come to is almost as bad as the one they left in terms of how it provides for them to practice their craft.

We have so much at our disposal in the US that to turn away from this need is really arrogant.
Posted By: D&JToe

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/15/02 12:35 AM

It is very sad to hear of such dreadful conditions for both the prisoners and the doctor trying to take care of them. frown We will be coming to Belize in a few weeks and will be on CA and on Caye Caulker. I see one of your websites is about Caye Caulker. Is there somewhere we can drop stuff off? Do you know what might be most needed? I'll hit Costco before we come and get some giant sized products to bring down. Good luck and I hope others reading your post will be inspired to help. smile

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/16/02 12:44 AM

If you are on Caye Caulker you can drop the supplies off at Caribbean Colors Art Gallery, located on Front Street just south of the main water taxi peir, next to Habaneros Restaurant. Or, you can call me at 206-0206 and I'll arrange to pick them up.
Thanks, smile
Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com
Posted By: D&JToe

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/16/02 08:39 PM

Can you ask the good Doctor what might be MOST needed in the way of over-the-counter type products?

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/16/02 08:58 PM

O.K., got that answer, he says, triple antibiotic cream and anti-fungal cream.
Thanks, smile
Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com
Posted By: Cinca

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 10/27/02 02:51 AM

What form of sterilization is at hand for the prison? Also, I have access to sutures that I can donate.
Posted By: gizabeliza

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 01:01 AM

Right on Silk Painter-- do the people on this board actually think that just because someone is in prison they are guilty? Even if they are, for some petty thing does that mean they cannot have access to a bandaid? In the U.S. we pay $30,ooo a year for convicted murderers on death row and some of you have the audacity to question the right to proper medical treatment. As for Rick & Cheri's comment that "the prisoners are the ones that make Belize unsafe", that is ridiculous! Poverty and trying to make aliving or addictions or jealousy is what can make Belize unsafe.
FYI- last year there were several news reports about Cuban doctors who wanted to stay past their 2 year assignment and married Belizeans. The doctor at the hospital needs some supplies, can't we just treat all people like the people they are?
I cannot believe som these replies!
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 01:27 AM

Silk Painter, If you will send me a list of needed supplies will try to bring them when we come home in Dec. Husband is a surgeon and we have a lot of suture etc. we use for medical teams. Them list can have other supplies as well. Does he have any particular sutures he would like? Might add we are looking for donations of body bags for San Pedro. Really are in need of these. Contact me at [email protected]
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 01:55 AM

Sorry, can't help myself. I have new eye glasses today, but did I read, you want us to donate "body bags" for San Pedro, NOW?

Forgive, but I fell off my chair laughing, sorry I know it is not funny, but hit me that way.
But I am pondering, why? What happened, why is there a shortage?

Normally I am user friendly, but I fell apart.

This could be used to add a new verse to "Gringo in Belize" song.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 02:23 AM

sorry about that!!!Does look pretty funny at that, but seriously,When we have a death occurs on the island body bags are in short supply.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 02:43 AM

There are none, we witnessed this on this trip!
as I have said, there are more details in needing on the island instead of helping a prison. Sorry but that is how I feel. Hope everything works out!!!!
Rick
Posted By: Mosquitorose

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:18 AM

Nobody asked you how you felt rick...kindness goes a long way...it doesn't matter to whom it goes to as long as it gets there. maybe one day someone will be kind to you in spite of yourself.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:26 AM

Too funny,
Do you even know what these people have done to be in there, Its most of the time an injustice to the country of Belize and deserve to be there. I would rather spend our money's on SAGA, the good nature of the island and the country of Belize. Like I said my opinion!!! Sorry if you don't agree.
It's not like being up here in the states!!!
Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:27 AM

meskeetrose ...that was gettin close to pure slander......but dont waury ... yu wont get sencored.. slanderous innuendo from the lily liverd,,,rarely does....

as for feelings....
aks the family of the resent murder victim if they wud like to donate to the health of the brutal murderers...
if some one bludgened my father to death...
i wudnt help but with the poison for the first ...not last meal...

TIME TO TEK OFF THOSE MESQUITOROSE COLORED GLASSES

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:31 AM

Well said!!!!!
Rick
Posted By: Tom

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:43 AM

The shortage of supplies at the prison is not a surprise. I have been bringing medical supplies to Ambergris Caye for some time, but have never had a request for supplies to go to Hattieville.
Have also brought many body bags. Will make sure to include them on my next trip.
Gauze is also very important. Had a friend that was injured while we were on the Island and could not find any gauze when trying to change the dressing daily.
Hope everyone pays attention!! These supplies are really needed. Please bring them with you.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:48 AM

Well said Tom,
yes all areas of Belize need anything we can bring to it. Thanks for your help!!!!
Rick

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 05:23 AM

meskeetrose ...that was gettin close to pure slander......but dont waury ... yu wont get sencored.. slanderous innuendo from the lily liverd,,,rarely does....

Moose..what the hell! you and rick totally missed the point. It's ok...never mind.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 05:55 AM

yes rose i got the point ... [on the health issues at hattie] but i feel it ''does'' matter who kindness goes to........

the desurving shud get the gravy...

the blaitent muderers...maybe...shud jus die

compassion to the lee bwai wah tief mi bicycle..[ and that wasnt appriciated by ..mi s.p. frenz an nieghbours ]
but........
not for heavy, deadly, personal acks of crime...!!!!!
as for ...
personal slander==one dipshits opinion !
others get greately offended...as per this case....
to mi
''you'' are the source from which i have seen it come from....

ahhH WHAT A NICE EVENING......!!11

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 06:07 AM

You confuse yourself moose...hey it could happen...don't hurt yourself now.

It's a very nice night over here awwwww

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 06:10 AM

Excuse me, but do "you" know what everyone in Hattieville is in prison for?? Your brief time in Belize probably doesn't qualify you as the ultimate athority on the country as a whole. Amazing that the dog population get your boxers in a wad (and I do love animal etc.etc. and support Saga), but human suffering,no? Think the priorities may be a little out of whack. By the way Pisano (God love him) has been a frequent guest at the Hattieville Hilton, and I'll bet you've bought a seashell or two from him.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 06:38 AM

LOVEY AND THURSTON--- IF THERE ARE SIDES ...WHO'S ARE YOU ON... AND WHICH ISSUE IS IT....

[HOW NUTZZZZZZ CAN THIS BOARD GET]

hahahahahaha
Posted By: Mexicana

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 08:14 AM

WELL...WELL...WELL...Very interesting read.

If I am going to jump on any wagon for assisting a cause in Belize, it wouldn't be in this order:

1. Prisons
2. Dogs
3. Body bags
4. Poverty

REVERSE this list and you got it right! First lets get some good food in the children's stomachs. Medicine for them...education...start where it can make a REAL difference. Sure SAGA is a terrific cause, but where are the programs for the families that need shelter,medical,food,clothing. I have driven through villages with muddy rivers for streets and have seen children naked, I have had a mother with a baby in her arms offer it to me to take back to the states and give her baby a chance to be something. NOW TELL ME THE DOGS AND PRISIONERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT!!
i now step off the soapbox! confused eek

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 01:21 PM

When Silk posted this topic....it was not a plea for supplies or pity for prisoners. It was to help the DOCTOR that serves the prison.

I guess this doctor will never get any relief because he just happens to have the misfortune of working at the prison.
What a suck-ass assignment that must be! I bet he'd rather be working for SAGA.

This topic went exactly where she thought it would go....

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 01:31 PM

well Moose, I'd say very nutz! How does a simple request for supplies become a moral debate? The board has been a pretty valuable tool in obtaining resources that are hard to come by. It really isn't about choosing "sides",or making a priority list for compassion. Sorry I ever asked for body bags!!!We even die in paradise, but hey San Pedro Supermarket has a good supply of Glad bags, so don't sweat it.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:26 PM

You tellem Lovie. At one time I thought this demented moose guy was entertaining but after he trashed God and our military, he can kiss my bright and shiney ex milatary ash!
Posted By: phartmore

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/15/02 04:37 PM

How could the moose ever go back to San Pedro with all the resident veterans waiting for him there?
Hes dead moosemeat.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 02:04 AM

Never saw/read him trash "God"....We all have our "God", even those without RELIGION. MQQSE, you're a good man, if i may say so myself!!! And let's not get started about GOD. I'll let loose. If we all knew that we came from ONE SOURCE...well- "Imagine All The People......C

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 03:26 AM

EVOLUTION?

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 03:28 AM

R&C, Go back and read his post. He trached God and our military. As an ex military(veteran) I resent that. end of story. But, I know 10 or 12 ex marines that would love to hoast a welcomeing party for him.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 03:48 AM

Hey Iammissing,
Can't find the post? Can you help? If true then we will have words with him, but as your post say about 10-12 guys coming to the island to have fun. You may be wrong, you may not know the island and I think he will have fun with ya all!!!!
Rick

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 03:52 AM

WRONG, I was on the island long before you were, my friend.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 04:00 AM

still you have not answered our questions??
Rick

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 04:52 AM

Just scrool up

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/16/02 07:18 AM

Rick, the other post was in ...moose's post a joke section...it was a military joke I posted.
Posted By: SanHam

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/18/02 01:46 AM

Question? When you see someone needy on the street or with a "will work for food" sign, do you give freely or do you question what that person will do with the money and keep walking. When a "doctor" asks for help, do you give with a free heart, or do you question where the money will go or to whom the doctoring will go. If you are truely giving of your heart, it doesn't matter. Having faith and being of a spiritual mind will suffice that all will work as it should - and it always does (perhaps not in the cut and dry way we seem to think it should go). JMHO

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/18/02 02:25 AM

What is it we often say? "Well, I'd help them but-----! " Make a great title for a book or a sermon, huh? "Going to Hell on our Buts"

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/18/02 03:41 PM

A true gift of the heart doesn't need to know the destination...it's the act of giving that counts.

JMHO

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/18/02 03:45 PM

well ... i know where it's goin

i'll help elsewhere...thankyou...!!!!

[i you hear i'm in the slammer....bring cash ..]
Posted By: meshell

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/21/02 11:05 AM

Originally posted by gizabeliza:
Right on Silk Painter-- do the people on this board actually think that just because someone is in prison they are guilty? Even if they are, for some petty thing does that mean they cannot have access to a bandaid? In the U.S. we pay $30,ooo a year for convicted murderers on death row and some of you have the audacity to question the right to proper medical treatment. As for Rick & Cheri's comment that "the prisoners are the ones that make Belize unsafe", that is ridiculous! Poverty and trying to make aliving or addictions or jealousy is what can make Belize unsafe.
FYI- last year there were several news reports about Cuban doctors who wanted to stay past their 2 year assignment and married Belizeans. The doctor at the hospital needs some supplies, can't we just treat all people like the people they are?
I cannot believe som these replies!
Posted By: meshell

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/21/02 11:24 AM

I have to agree with Gizabeliza. What if it was one of your loved one doing time in Hattieville. Maybe then you could be more compassonate towards people in prison. Yes there are some horrible crimes committed by people in prison but this does not account for all of the prisoners. Try to broaden your understanding of humanity. There is always going to be a group of people who say why should we do for A when B is also in need. Instead of taking on that kinda mindset, why dont you just do for B and appreciate that there are others out there who are working hard to do for A. No need to make ignorant statements to people who reach out to help the needy. Just think how happy that Dr. would feel if he knew he had proper medical supplies to treat the sick.
Posted By: gizabeliza

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/23/02 03:09 AM

I just hope for all of you that think it's ridiculous to help people in a prison that you never end up in one, or noone you know ever does because someof you on this board have shown zero compassion. I guess homeless dogs are worth your donations but human lives aren't? There are some people in there for very petty crimes who just didn't have the money to pay the fine. For all the wonderful people who are able to donate supplies- thank you & god bless you! Remember Jesus hung out with prostitutes you hypocrites!

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/23/02 11:05 AM

This will be my last post on this subject.
Each of us has our own ways of helping out, and I choose not to on this. Sorry if that offends you, but being a hypocrite I'm not. Maybe you should go live there awhile and see what is going on. Yes Belize has its proverty, but most of the bad tidings that are brought against people there are from the States and what the learn on our TV.
I will put my monies in helping the island in whatever means, and the country at that. AND THE DOGS there!!!!!! And all other creatures of this world. But not help out some crack addit or murderer in prison, they deserve what they get. They made a choice, and they have to live with that consequence of that!!! NO monies from Me!
Sorry to be so bold on this, But I used to work for a correctional facuility, and I know what goes on in these places....
We should focus on what is best for the islands and the mainland, ie. Poverty, Teachers, Medical, Preserving the country side, And yes the animals that are there in this Beautiful country, that we have access too, Its one of Gods best keept secrets!!!!!!! Again I'm sorry if you don't like my comments but this is how I feel, and will do..
Thanks, Rick smile

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/23/02 02:38 PM

Rick, Maybe you need to spend a little more than a few weeks each year in Belize as well, to be an authority on the what it's all about.
Posted By: SanHam

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/25/02 12:53 AM

My take on this is that the donations are for the doctor to enable him to do his job and treat his patients, whoever they may be. These doctors did not ask for such an undesireable placement. Could it be that his success at doing this will gain him a better position elsewhere in Belize. Could the scenerio be as follows: doctor A asks for donations for supplies to treat his patients. Donations come in and doctor A is able to save many lives (guilty or innocent) as well as treat many injuries (deserved or undeserved). His evaluation from his superior is great and he is able to be placed say at a teaching hospital or elsewhere in AC where he can treat the people of San Pedro. Doctor B on the other hand has no donations. Many lives are lost and he is unable to treat injuries. No fault of his, but his superiors are only interested in results. His evaluation is not so good and he is either transferrred to some other undesirable position or worse kept where he is. Again no fault of his own and depriving AC of a probably good doctor if he only had the tools he needed to complete his assignment. This is what I mean when i stated earlier we should have faith that our giving will go to where its needed the most, in this case THE DOCTOR and inevitably (sp), Belize. JMHO

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/25/02 04:50 AM

meshell-if the post is ended with a "C" it's Cheri-Rick's wife. If the post is ended with "Rick"-it's from Rick. We are 2 seperate people with at times different views. I chose not to reply to this topic for my own reasons. ANY prison is bad. Don't do the crime if you can't handle ANY time. C
Posted By: IslandJunkie

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/26/02 04:45 AM

I haven't been around in awhile, not posting or even reading much, but I couldn't pass this up (sorry Silk, I know you didn't intend this to be a moral debate, but I can't help myself this time).

Originally posted by rickcheri:
...And let's not get started about GOD. I'll let loose. If we all knew that we came from ONE SOURCE...well- "Imagine All The People......C[/QB]
I know this quote was from Cheri [not Rick OBVIOUSLY], and I agree. I am disgusted and apalled, Rick, at your lack of compassion for humanity. Yep, put your money on the dogs. Forget people. OK, so the folks in Hattieville made some horrible choices in life. Some of them have raped, murdered, maybe worse. Some are simply victims of poverty, self-defense, addictions, etc. Who gives you the right to judge? This thread wasn't supposed to be about your shallow, judgemental opinion. It was a plea for help. These people, however unlovable, deserve to be taken care of. Maybe one day the kindness shown them will lead to change. Maybe I just see the world through rose colored glasses - and I'm ok with that. I'm sad for you. frown I hope noone ever judges you for your sins with the venom you so sweepingly judge the entire population at Hattieville.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/26/02 02:49 PM

Islandjunkie-I'm working on him!!!! LOL...I think he may hold some bitterness towards the time he worked at a correctional facility??? But this is his "battle". If I had it my way, I think i would help the prisoners according to their crime. The worse the crime, the farther down on the list to get help???? Maybe not the moral thing to do, and maybe i say this because we were on AC when this last VERY brutal murder occured and watched the accused wave to the TV audience and grin!! There was NO REMORSE for what they did. In this present world, i constantly have to tell myself that KARMA is the key, God will be their final Judge...and leave it at that. I hope the doctor gets his supplies, for i know there are people in there with much lesser crimes that deserve and need help. I, too, have been in a position here of being falsely accused and if i were stuck in jail, would hope that i got help if i needed it. It's a viscious circle that does not end.....when we do an injustice to another surely, sometime in our life, we pay for it THREEFOLD. The universe has a way of taking care of those things-in due time. This doc must be a very humble, compassionate person for what he is trying to do!!!! Rick truly is a good man and i think his point is that if he had extra money to help a cause, he choose to put it toward SAGA, The Lion's Club, the clinic in SP...etc...we as a human race have failed immensely in the Big Picture of Life. Mr. Lennon had a great concept..."if all the people lived life in peace"...well, prisons would not be needed. Email him if you want.....and THANKS for being able to differntiate between the 2 of us....some people on here do not....we're married, not conjoined twins at the head or heart!!!! HAPY THANKSGIVING!!!! C

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/26/02 05:41 PM

I have a FANTASTIC idea (sometimes I startle even myself eek ) for people who are in the dark about how justice is meted out in Belizean courtrooms. Just go sit for a day (or two or three) in one of them (located throughout mainland Belize) and hear the charges, testimony and judicial renderings. If you can walk away convinced the right people are sentenced to jail time, you are to be congratulated. There are many still out on the streets who oughtta be in and many in who oughtta be out. JMHO.

If ya read the papers, you will see situations have developed when a key witness (someone with smoking gun testimony) doesn't appear on the trial day (for whatever reason) and murderers do walk as a result. And people who shouldn't be punished are remanded back to jail to await another trial date if the judge decides one can happen. And Hattieville (or any of the local lockups) isn't a picnic for the guilty or innocent or sick or healthy or doctor or lawyer or Indian chief or rich man/woman or poor man/woman.
Posted By: gogo

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/26/02 05:54 PM

in a prison situation with unsanitary conditions a small injury can turn into a festering infection. infections of all sorts KILL people. doing jail time does not & should not equal a death sentence because basic items like antibiotics and sterile bandages are unavailable. humane people cannot expect others to "do the time" and include in the time neglect so complete it leads to death.

gogo
Posted By: IslandJunkie

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/26/02 07:39 PM

Cheri, thanks for you note. Rick Ė I still stand by my opinion, but the strength with which I said it was unnecessary. I was in a bit of a foul mood yesterday (poor excuse). So, I apologize. With your experience in the corrections system, Iím sure youíve seen and experienced things the rest of us would surely be horrified at. Iím a self-proclaimed optimist and idealist, and your posts just really went against my ultimate belief that all humanity is valuable and worth redeeming. That said, I respect your opinions and the good work you & Cheri do with your donations and active voice for SAGA and other important causes. Obviously, I donít know you, but through this board have come to respect and appreciate you both, and maybe will have the opportunity to meet you in SP one day. May God bless you this holiday season. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/27/02 09:18 AM

Thanks IJ!!
Talk with ya soon...
Rick

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 11/28/02 08:02 AM

WOW! Where have I been? I totally missed this thread when the debate started again... and I'm glad. Sandshaker is right, we discussed this at LENGTH before posting the plea. SO... here it still stands. If anyone would like to donate supplies... whatever, wherever, however... let me know. I'll come get them, or you can leave them at your hotel's front desk with my name on them (just let me know where and when) or if you're on Caye Caulker on a day trip, or staying here, you can bring them into the gallery. Anything and everythign will be appreciated. Its usually the grass roots efforts that work first. I'm trying to get caught up on the answers to the questions. I'll be calling him tomorrow to get your information about what he needs the most now.
--Lee
www.caribbean-colors.com
www.cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 09/27/03 02:15 AM

i beleave most of the prisoners are...being treated as-per the pipl they are ...they are ''PRISONERS''....GEEESZZZZ DUH,,!!!!!!!!

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 09/27/03 07:09 AM

U must be bored Mooze, to revive a topic almost a year old
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Hattieville Prison doctor needs help - 09/27/03 09:12 AM

Born again?
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board