AmbergrisCaye.com Home

palm trees dying?

Posted By: Mexicana

palm trees dying? - 10/20/02 10:53 PM

I just read about the tall Palm trees dying around the Corozal Town area... have they found a remedy for the trees? Is there any organizations involved in preservation?
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/20/02 11:13 PM

I talked to the gardener at the Belize Yatch Club. He showed me how the insect gets onto the top of the palm frond at the trunk and eats away. Most of the trees on their beautiful beach had many lower fronds dead or dying. He did not have an answer.
frown
Harriette
Posted By: ckocian

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/20/02 11:31 PM

Same-o on the peninsula. What the hurricane didn't get, the rhinocerous beetles are. mad
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/21/02 03:18 AM

My knowledge of the situation/lethal yeallowing: (which fyi, is a problem by no means confined to Belize... FL among other place has just as big of a problem with lethal yellowing) is that where as they are varieties of palm that are very resistant to the disease, there are none completely immune to it. Treatment is problematic in that even if you say treat trees on your property, if your neighbor does NOT, your trees are still rather at risk... Also, treating ALREADY infected trees does not "cure" them, rather it can at best put the disease into remission, and prolong the inevitable. Treatment is NOT expensive, contrary to popular belief... best source if info and materials is no doubt found at http://www.palmtreesaver.com/ ...trees can be treated for what works out to be a couple dollars US$ a year...

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/21/02 05:30 AM

Thank You for the response... I was happy to receive the information on posible remedy. I will check that out and forward to my friends that will be very grateful I am sure. WE ALL LOVE THE PALMS! The country would not be the same without the Tall Palms for sure!
Posted By: BettyGib

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/21/02 11:18 PM

Thanks very much for alerting us to that site. I have wondered what we can do to preserve the life of our palms and had not been successful in finding information or products. When we stayed at Singing Sands in July, the fact that they care for their trees was clear. While those on adjoining properties were yellow, theirs were green and lush.

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/22/02 04:46 AM

Hi Betty,

I am curious where exactly is the location you were talking about the palms being so green and lush? Is that is Belize? I am not very familiar with the southern part of the country just the north by Corazol Town. And it has been years!! I am thinking of planning a trip back maybe in the winter or eary spring in the USA.
Posted By: Marty

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/22/02 10:07 PM

there is more info on lethal yellowing, in our palm care section...

//AmbergrisCaye.com/cocopalms
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/22/02 11:27 PM

Marty,

From what I understand Chris Berlin (who authored the pages you listed) is NOT really actively treating trees on Ambergris anymore. His supplier for OTC WAS Palmtreesaver.com in FL, though... What concerned folks in AC/Belize might want to do is consolidate any orders they place individually. I sent US$400.00 of OTC and the injection supplies down there this summer (about 1 years worth of supplies for 100 trees) ...folks would definitely take less of a hit shipping wise if supplies were shipped in bulk out of Miami on say Hyde, rather than via air...

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/23/02 03:03 PM

thats correct about chris not really doing this anymore, but the info about palms in that area is still accurate
Posted By: BettyGib

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/23/02 11:40 PM

Mexicana,
Singing Sands resort near Placencia on Maya Beach treats their trees and has gorgeous orchids and other flowers.

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/25/02 01:32 AM

yep, treating the trees definently makes a big difference...

many landowners as well as resorts in the region treat their trees to keep em healthy...

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/26/02 06:39 PM

Thanks Betty, I guess I was thinking you might have been referring to that area.... I am looking forward to visiting there soon. The Orchids are among my favorite. I cannot wait to photograph some of the more unusual ones.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/29/02 03:24 PM

Leathal Yellow was/is nasty, and can take out whole areas of trees. Careful treatment done in time will protect and preserve the palms if LY is the culprit.
There are other tree-killers too - rhino beetles, which are horrible and tend to wipe out the younger trees - no treatment available. With them you just have to try to chop and destroy the trees that are infected and then make sure to kill all the larvae and bugs so they don't re-infest other trees. Also there is something called red-ring disease - again, not treatable.
Before you apply a treatment it's best to find out which nasty thing is making trouble.
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/29/02 09:07 PM

I found that if you religously plant some new trees every year that you will never be treeless regardless of what is attacking them.
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/29/02 10:39 PM

We just had our trees sprayed for a new one that leaves a white powdery film on the underside of the branches. It is slow progressing but will eventually kill the tree(any species).Riverwalk Nursery is liscened to do the spraying. takes 3 treatments. Many of our neighbors in the Mosquito Coast area have it too.
Posted By: Rod Allen

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/30/02 12:09 AM

Lethal Yellows is the main culprit that has worked its way down the coast from Mexico.
There are varieties of palms that tend to be immune to the virus. Central Farm Agric. Station
has a nursery that sells the resistant types along with cedar and mahogany. Of course the latter do-not fair well in coastal and island environments. You could call Central Farm in Cayo
dist 824-2131 for more info.

Rod Allen
C/Farm

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/30/02 04:54 AM

Hey Rod, nice to hear from ya...

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/30/02 07:03 AM

Thank you Rod,
I am interested in the potential of getting some seedling mahogony too! The idea of getting some resistant palms is a good one along with planting some new trees every couple of years. Thanks to everyone for submitting thoughts on the subject.
Much appreciation to all of you!
Posted By: Cinca

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/31/02 04:06 AM

Here is a link about a remedy for this disease:
http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000396
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: palm trees dying? - 10/31/02 04:55 AM

CINCA------who are you??????/
Posted By: Cinca

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/01/02 06:44 AM

Just another Belize lover! I've been posting off and on for a few years.

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/01/02 06:58 AM

CINCA...WHATS YUR PHONE #
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/01/02 04:10 PM

LOL
Don't give it to him Cinca....he's a problem MQQSE...LOL wink

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/01/02 05:23 PM

but at least i'm house broken // kindah

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/02/02 09:47 PM

Senior MQQQSIE,
Donde vivas?? En BELIZE?

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/03/02 05:12 AM

SI---as often as i can...in s.p.

[cinca whats yur phone # pls.]
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/04/02 04:19 PM

he must not be a spanish speaking moose,
try french.
Posted By: klcman

Re: palm trees dying? - 11/05/02 05:37 AM

is a Spanish MQQSE anything like Spanish MQSS ??
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board