AmbergrisCaye.com Home

DIGI CELL SERVICE

Posted By: shuffles

DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 05:22 PM

After calling BTL today about the absolute crap service we have had on digicell phones the last few weeks, they informed us that they "had no idea there was a problem". I am suggesting that everyone with a digicell phone call the San Pedro office and let them know that they DO have a problem.

226-2111
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 05:50 PM

They know the service stinks, that is why employees have smart phones.When we have problems they come quickly,hate to ruin our good relationship.We have digi cell also, think it is time to change cell service.
Posted By: deadserious

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 05:53 PM

But Tim, that means you'll have to get rid of your cool phone!

[Linked Image]

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 07:00 PM

Not sure if that's trading a rotten banana for a rotten orange. Seems that the same towers are used for both services....so how can one of them be so bad???

Another downside to Smart is that you would have to change your phone number, and some of us use our numbers on our advertising material......and that's a pain....

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 07:00 PM

Jason ,already changed,have not received a call yet(sarcasm). The thing is only good for a watch.They wont give me back my analog phone either, once you retire the # its over.Now I have a paper weight,clock, and now I need a phone L.O.L. These are the joys of the Caribbean (like stripes on a uniform).

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/10/09 07:02 PM

I understand shuffles,but;if you don't get the call......
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 12:01 AM

I had exactly the same story from them a month ago, so they're certainly playing games.
Posted By: lil'red

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 03:30 PM

I call them weekly, and they always say they have never had a complaint.....go figure. I directed them to this website and the threads on the poor BTL service but their internet was down.
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 06:11 PM

last night I got 18 text messages at once dating back as far as 2 weeks.
I called about a week ago and some female informed me that they are having no problems. I told her 'I can't even text myself' and she promptly informed me that that was impossible and that is why text isnt working.
I just hung up.
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 06:36 PM

smart all the way! I recently made the switch, and although calls dont always go out, its usually BTL numbers i'm trying to call. Smart holds onto your number forever, you never lose it. Moreover, if someone steals your phone and you've reported it stolen, it will be locked. when that person goes to smart to unlock it, they confiscate the phone and let you know so you can get it back.

there's a reason they call it "SMART!"

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 06:47 PM

Can you keep the digicell #?

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 07:48 PM

No that's one of the main drawbacks to switching

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/11/09 09:17 PM

B.T.L. told me you keep # for life. You don't have to keep credit on phone either.He did suggest that someone just call the cell to make sure it is still working.Customer service were very nice and helpful. They did mention that in certain spots the phone may not have reception much like the states,they will continue to upgrade service as time goes on.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 01:24 AM

You do keep your Digicell number but only if you're on a post paid plan. If you're on pre-paid you're out of luck (most of the time, I know of some who have had their number returned.)

I can tell you that while I'm in the TMM office there is no service at all. This was not the case several weeks ago. The only thing I can think of is that the Raeliens have placed a transmitter in the new Tropic building which is blocking the signal.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 02:19 AM

Damn Raeliens.
Posted By: Caye Connect

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 04:07 AM

I was at Costa Maya today and full signal (5 bars) on my Digicel phone - which is ~7mi north. I live less than a mile from the tower to the south and I cannot get any service in my wood house. The only service I get from the south is within direct vision of the tower - totally unobstructed. Seems that this problem is only affecting reception south of the tower - on a particular antenna.
Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 05:43 AM

I live 2 miles north of Costa Maya and frequently have no service on my Digicell phone. Until about February we had decent Digicell service but since that time is it very sporadic. My Smart phone has service all of the time and the signal is strong even in remote parts of a concrete house.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 07:32 AM

I don't know whether the Digicell network has simply become outdated because of rampant new development and building, or whether there are electronic faults that simply aren't being addressed. I suspect it's some of each. Until the new Harmouche building near Pedro's was erected I had good Digicell reception throughout my house. Now I have sketchy cover if any at all. So it's down to the new concrete building? Well, possibly not, as standing in the street alongside the building, and hence not shielded by it, I still only have patchy coverage whereas it used to be "perfect".

Either way, there is clearly a major problem that BTL seem to be doing nothing to sort out. Maybe they've decided that with the competition of Smart the mobile phone business is no longer an attractive business, and they're letting it die through attrition and natural wastage?
Posted By: GBZ39

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 01:43 PM

What system does SMART use? GSM or CDMA? It is GSM if you need a SIM card.

I've had BTL cancel my prepaid service when I in the US and they've also haven't cancelled it. When they did cancel it, I was able to get the same number back. It is always interesting to see what number I get when I'm in SP.

Might try SMART next time....

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 03:01 PM

This is great feedback! I will print and fax to B.T.L. management and see what they have to say. They are getting better these days,lets see what happens.
Posted By: Cayemen

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 03:27 PM

But as we all know,

Smart is owned by BTL....
Posted By: deadserious

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cayemen
But as we all know,

Smart is owned by BTL....

Are you sure? I knew that Smart used BTL's network on the back end, but was informed that it is a completely independent entity otherwise.
Posted By: Tracker

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 04:52 PM

I was told that Digicell is going to install new and bigger Antenna dishes that should improve coverage all over the island. The dishes are here on the island, just when they will be installed is anyones guess.

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 04:53 PM

From Ak Bol almost to the cut the digicell service is almost non existent unless you go on a second floor verandah or to the beach.
It did not used to be like that. I am really getting tired of jumping up and running outside everytime the thing rings.

I blame it on the tremendous amount of new concrete and steel rising from the earth. They need taller or more towers I guess.
On the other side of the coin---I was in Sams Club in Chetumal and I got a call--had 4 bars--go figure!!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 05:54 PM

a call in Chetumal how funny

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 06:41 PM

Anyone wanting a good laugh should play the TV add at this link:

http://www.belizetelemedia.net/
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Callanan
B.T.L. told me you keep # for life. You don't have to keep credit on phone either.He did suggest that someone just call the cell to make sure it is still working.

I called my San Pedro cell phone yesterday and heard my voice message (I guess my phone is still on). I am pretty sure that my minutes have expired since I have not made a call from there since the beginning of June.

It's very depressing to hear your own voice speaking from San Pedro, knowing you are not actually there frown
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/12/09 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2MILESNORTHOFCUT
It's very depressing to hear your own voice speaking from San Pedro, knowing you are not actually there frown

Depressing.........damn near heart wrenching frown

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/13/09 07:05 PM

To Whom it may concern: B.T.L. is aware of the problem with digi cell reception. Technicians will be here today to solve the problem. They hope to have resolved a.s.a.p. They are sorry about inconvenience.They will release a public statement .

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/14/09 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Caye Connect
I was at Costa Maya today and full signal (5 bars) on my Digicel phone - which is ~7mi north. I live less than a mile from the tower to the south and I cannot get any service in my wood house. The only service I get from the south is within direct vision of the tower - totally unobstructed. Seems that this problem is only affecting reception south of the tower - on a particular antenna.

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/14/09 02:22 AM

I have full signal in my house now - south of town. Something has changed. Can anyone confirm if your signal is better?

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/14/09 03:46 PM

4 bars at TMM this morning!
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/14/09 04:16 PM

Yesterday on the Reef Radio Talk show they also complained about the BTL service.

5 bars in the office today smile

Today is double top up up to 49.99 and triple for 50.00 smile

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/14/09 04:22 PM

"Today is double top up up to 49.99 and triple for 50.00"

Possible conspiracy that it works on top up day?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/18/09 10:28 PM

Has the service improved yet?

Re: DIGI CELL SERVICE - 08/18/09 11:48 PM

For now, yes.......the operative word being "now"
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board