AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Moving to Ambergris Caye

Posted By: DiverGrant

Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/12/09 03:12 AM

Hi,

I live in Southern California and was thinking of moving to Ambergris Caye. I vacationed there once and didn't want to go home. A few questions: Can I drive my car on to the Caye via ferry? Are there dive jobs? bartending jobs? Is there a place on the Internet to look for jobs or housing there? Who is the local cell phone service? Is Internet easily accessible there?

Thanks!

Grant
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/12/09 03:26 AM

Quick answers:

1) No. You will need a permit and you won't be given one for a car.
2) Only for Belizeans
3) Only for Belizeans or residents
3) Here on the message board
4) BTL (or whatever it's called these days)
5) Yes
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/12/09 03:27 AM

I should add to number 5 that it's very expensive and very slow.
Posted By: champion

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/12/09 03:28 AM

Yes you can barge a car to A/C. You won't get it licensed tho. You can't get a job either. Phone is BTL, internet is slow.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/12/09 04:12 PM

WHY would you WANT a car? Where would you drive it? Before moving here I suggest you stay here for longer than a vacation. Visiting here and living here are very different. Don't get me wrong but I came here 8 times before I moved here and when I purchased I intended to keep my house in NOrthern California. Only after living here for six months did I decide to sell the California house.
It's been a while since anyone has posted our standard response: Read DON'T STOP THE CARNIVAL before you make any decision.
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/14/09 02:11 AM

Don't Stop the Carnival is such a great book! Timeless!
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Moving to Ambergris Caye - 11/18/09 08:21 PM

You can get a job. I did...managing a bar. It's not impossible. And your employer can help you with your work permit and then residency.

Things here aren't always great, but it's pretty great most of the time.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board