AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Posted By: wilske

Skype - 12/12/09 03:02 AM

I'm trying to get into skype and it's not working.I foolishly did a uninstall and now when I go to the website I get 404 the requested URL not found is it being blocked? Any suggestions?
Posted By: marvins

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 03:11 AM

The same thing happened to me recently. It seems any web address with the word Skype gets blocked.
I found a site that I was able to download a slightly older version and it works.
www.oldversion.com
Posted By: KwikWalk

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 04:46 AM

Not having that problem when I hit their website.
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/

Did you try deleteing all cookies and temp files?

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 05:11 AM

Well I was able to load an older version of skype, but still can't sign in deleted all the cookies etc... I loaded version 3.8.154 what version do you use marvins? kwikwalk are you able to call anyone?
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 05:13 AM

I'm running the latest version of Skype and it's working just fine (through my VPN). Made a call to a phone number only yesterday. What version of Windows are you running?

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 05:25 AM

vista version six.. I used skype two days Tuesday with no problem but was unable to connect since wednesday... very odd

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 06:44 AM

Are you in AC right now, or in the states (or other)?
Posted By: hansen

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 05:34 PM

The skype website itself will be blocked if you are trying to access it from Belize. (so will the skype service)
I think you can do a search on the forums if you want to know more about the drama.

Best thing to do to get around this is to either subscribe to a VPN which runs about 50usd per year, or use a free service like Hotspot Shield http://www.hotspotshield.com

I use hotspot and although it may be annoying at times with its advertisements, you can't beat free.

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 06:57 PM

I thought that might be what his problem was. But didn't know there was "Drama".

ooVoo is another free alternative you could try.
http://www.oovoo.com/
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 07:20 PM

AT least BTL has stopped blocking access to the Hotspot website. For a while there you couldn't even access it from Belize.

Just checked and they are blocking access to the Skype site.
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 08:09 PM

Funny, every time the borders get into detailed discussions about how the use skype, VPN's, etc, BTL turns the screws and gets better at blocking. Best to keep the details to private messages and emails.

Re: Skype - 12/12/09 08:32 PM

Ohhhhhhh. Gotcha. wink

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 12:02 AM

Thanks for all the info... it's a real shame that BTL seems to have the need to block tourists from talking to people at home.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 01:13 AM

Hopefully active blocking is a thing of the past, now that BTL no longer belongs to Ashcroft.
Posted By: marvins

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 01:19 AM

Deleted so as not to give BTL any ideas.
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 04:46 AM

Thanks for letting BTL in on the secret. Let's see how long it works.

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 05:58 AM

Barrow was pretty clear in stating that blocking would continue.

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 02:19 PM

Well just finished going thru some of the history on the board. I guess I can understand a company trying to corner the market, although I don't think it's very ethical. I must say that tourist expectations are pretty high and I for one expect to be able to communicate back home. Emails are ok, but it's important to me to see familiar faces too.
Posted By: Moose In Belize

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by wilske
Emails are ok, but it's important to me to see familiar faces too.

What did you do before Skype?
Posted By: Short

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by SimonB
Barrow was pretty clear in stating that blocking would continue.
You would think that he should make a decision that is in favor of the country and Belize's economy. Pity...
Posted By: elbert

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 08:14 PM

Suddenly the san pedro peoples are all on line with their cel phones. BTL has given some sort of cheap deal to cel phone users to get internet on their cels and the village seems to be all starring at their cels today.

Re: Skype - 12/13/09 09:47 PM

With pricing that will break the bank: http://www.digicell.bz/digicell-data.html
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board