AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 04:01 PM
I would like to give and get information on medical emergency plans for the islands by publishing here current info.
Things change and updates are necessary. The Belize Tourist Board and PADI organization as well as the San Pedro Tour Guide association require EAP's be handy for all operators.
Our current Plan is out dated and I'm gona bet a lot of you as well have old numbers and obsolete organizations on your plans.
I copied this from the web.
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS
Wings of Hope- Medical emergency air ambulance- 223-3292 or fax: 223-0549
Lions Health Clinic - 226-4052; emergencies 600-9071 or Hours: Mon.- Fri., 8am to 8pm; Sat., 8am - noon.
Los Pinos Clinic 602-6383 and 226- 2686.
Dr. Lerida Rodriguez: 226-2197 or cell 620-1974
San Pedro Chiropractic Clinic 226- 4695
Hyperbaric Chamber - 226-2851
Dr. Otto Rodriguez - 600-0287 or 226-2854.

Diver's Alert Network 919-684-8111800-446-2671

right away i think There are some problems.
any suggestions?
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 04:46 PM
Maybe start by making contact with NEMO - Mrs. Jeromey Timrose Augustin - 226-4291 / 666-7476

NEMO hotline - 636

Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 06:26 PM
Hummm NEMO is a National Emergency group. This plan, required by BTB and others, is more of a plan of action if an individual got hurt on a tour.
Is Wings of Hope still in business?
also someone told me the Lions Health clinic shut down, is that true?
Posted By: shuffles Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 06:54 PM
We had an incident a few months ago (on Good Friday of all days). Found out then that the helicopter will ONLY come out if it is a life or death situation. The airplane will come and pick up a person for a fee, and transport them to a hospital in Belize City. The incident we had was life threatening, and if the gentleman had stayed on the island over the holiday weekend he would not have survived. He had cracked some ribs earlier in the week, but on the night before Good Friday fell into something and actually pierced his lung. His lung filling up with blood/fluid was not sufficiently "life or death" to get the helicopter here, but we did get him out by plane.

Another obstacle we encountered was finding a taxi with removable seats that could hold him on a board. After this experience, we now have some information about getting emergency care on the island.

BTW the man recovered enough to return to San Pedro the Tuesday after Easter.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 07:19 PM
Yep this is the kinda info I'm talking about. Plans are being required by BTB membership renewal.
A written Plan must be submitted this year.
Little discovery's like the need for Taxis with removable seats are elements of a good plan.
this is what I've got so far.
White Sands Dive Shop
Emergency Action Plan

While Belize is a very safe and fun place to dive, we are prepared in case of an emergency situation.
Safety Operations
A qualified Divemaster/License Belizean Tour Guide will always be present when White Sands Dive Shop conducts any Diving or snorkeling excursion. These individuals are trained in oxygen administration, first aid and CPR procedures as well as rescue breathing and airway obstruction. A first aid station is also housed inside the building used for dive shop operations and all boats.
Emergency Evacuation
In all emergencies, the San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber must be contacted immediately, by calling 226-2851 ( this number is posted on the wall above the schedule board. When the phone is answered:
Give your name and specific location and all other pertinent information that is requested. Bring someone with you when making an emergency call so that one of you can stay by the phone at least 3-minutes for any return call, if necessary. A list of emergency services telephone numbers appear at the end of this section. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, request that Med Flight be dispatched immediately.
Med-Flight Emergencies
Contact the Chamber to request Med Flight for certain medical emergencies which require immediate evacuation from Ambergris caye. It is noted that Med Flight is not the primary responder. However, due to the remoteness of our location, Astrum has agreed to respond to certain emergencies when called upon by the San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber.
[email protected]
Office (Belize): +501 222-5100
Mobile (Belize): +501 610-4381
Toll Free (US): +1 (888) ASTRUM4
Toll Free (US): +1 (888) 278-7864
(1) Near drowning when the victim has lost consciousness. San Pedro Chamber must be called whenever a victim has been removed from the water in an unconscious condition.
(2) Cerebral Arterial Gas Embolism (A.G.E.). Although rare, this is a very serious diving injury. Whenever the victim is suspected of experiencing an air embolism, as it is commonly called transport to San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber. Signs and symptoms to watch for all convulsions, unconsciousness, bloody froth at the mouth, partial or full paralysis, etc.

Trauma
Any trauma, such as uncontrolled bleeding, head injury, etc. caused by a fall or instrument, requires immediate evacuation. Call San Pedro Poly Clinic 226-2536
Hospitals
Most emergency evacuations will be taken to Belize City Hospital (KHH) 223-1548
Hyperbaric Chamber
The closest hyperbaric chamber is located the San Pedro Air Strip 226-2851
Lions Health Clinic - 226-4052; emergencies 600-9071 or Hours: Mon.- Fri., 8am to 8pm; Sat., 8am - noon.

Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/13/10 09:19 PM
OK I've added this:
Emergency Evacuation North of the San Pedro River
Emergency evacuations north of the San Pedro River are cautioned about attempting long road evacuations by golf cart. The Costal Express offers Emergency Evacuation Services by boat.
Phone 226 2007 they stand by Marine radio frequency 80.
They stop at any dock for transport to the Amigos dock in town and will call ahead to have a doctor meet at the Amigos dock.
Transportation from the Amigos dock in San Pedro Town to airport or chamber is by land taxi service also arranged by Costal Express. Costal Express employees are trained, experienced and rehearsed for Emergency Evacuations from Ambergris Caye's remote North areas.

(Please feel free to copy this and delete our name and insert yours if you need a printed plan.)
White Sands Dive Shop
Emergency Action Plan

While Belize is a very safe and fun place to dive, we are prepared in case of an emergency situation.
Safety Operations
A qualified Divemaster/License Belizean Tour Guide will always be present when White Sands Dive Shop conducts any Diving or snorkeling excursion. These individuals are trained in oxygen administration, first aid and CPR procedures as well as rescue breathing and airway obstruction. A first aid station is also housed inside the building used for dive shop operations and all boats.
Emergency Evacuation
In all emergencies, the San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber must be contacted immediately, by calling 226-2851 ( this number is posted on the wall above the schedule board. When the phone is answered:
Give your name and specific location and all other pertinent information that is requested. Bring someone with you when making an emergency call so that one of you can stay by the phone at least 3-minutes for any return call, if necessary. A list of emergency services telephone numbers appear at the end of this section. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, request that Med Flight be dispatched immediately.
Emergency evacuations north of the San Pedro River are cautioned about attempting long road evacuations by golf cart. The Costal Express offers Emergency Evacuation Services by boat.
They stop at any dock for transport to the Amigos dock in town and will call ahead to have a doctor meet at the Amigos dock.
Transportation from the Amigos dock in San Pedro Town to airport or chamber is by land taxi service also arranged by Costal Express. Costal Express employees are trained, experienced and rehearsed for Emergency Evacuations from Ambergris Caye's remote North areas.

Med-Flight Emergencies
Contact the Chamber to request Med Flight for certain medical emergencies which require immediate evacuation from Ambergris caye. It is noted that Med Flight is not the primary responder. However, due to the remoteness of our location, Astrum has agreed to respond to certain emergencies when called upon by the San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber.
[email protected]
(1) Near drowning when the victim has lost consciousness. San Pedro Chamber must be called whenever a victim has been removed from the water in an unconscious condition.
(2) Cerebral Arterial Gas Embolism (A.G.E.). Although rare, this is a very serious diving injury. Whenever the victim is suspected of experiencing an air embolism, as it is commonly called transport to San Pedro Hyperbaric Chamber. Signs and symptoms to watch for all convulsions, unconsciousness, bloody froth at the mouth, partial or full paralysis, etc.

Trauma
Any trauma, such as uncontrolled bleeding, head injury, etc. caused by a fall or instrument, requires immediate evacuation. Call San Pedro Poly Clinic 226-2536
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber
Poly Clinic-226-2555 and 226-2536

Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 01:20 AM
The Lion's Clinic is no longer functioning----hasn't really since the Poly Clinic was opened.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 01:38 AM
where can you get an AED in case of need? Does anyone know where they are located around the island?
Posted By: reaper Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 02:14 AM
We discussed all of this a while back and wanted to form an "EMS" team to come up with some ideas for any type of medical/trauma emergency. We need to reopen that dialog and bring the BTB on board. As most of you know, San Pedro is not the best place in the world to have a medical issue.
AED's need to be checked out monthly. The few I have seen on the island had dead batteries.
Paging Dr. Blackledge.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 12:56 PM
I think that I had done some calculations and in order to have a full time team on duty with transportation and equipment it would cost about $150K BZD per year and about $100K BZD in initial equipment, transportation and training which was taking into account free training in the US. Of course that would give you 3 trained men who would work in the same way most fire crews work. I think that unless you pay them and train them properly they will not stay on the job.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 02:20 PM
Thanks Natalie , Do you have the Poly Clinic emer. Number?
I'll edit the plan.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 02:21 PM
The Hyperbaric Chamber has two defibs one has a bad batt. Dont know about the others status. One was donated and it seems to be a good mobile one but its Batt. died years back.
best place for a good defib is on the Coastal exp boat.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 02:50 PM
The Polyclinic phone numbers in the phone book 226-2555 and 226-2536 are just business hours only numbers and not good for off hours emergencies .
Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 04:11 PM
There is no emergency number for out of hours treatment for the Polyclinic. They post the doctors on call and their numbers (usually Dr Otto Rodriquez 604 7599 and Dr Zuniga 610 4606)in the San Pedro Sun. I think several dive shops have an AED. I know Jodie and Scott Harnish from Palapa Bar have one.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 05:31 PM
Both Sueno del Mar and Tranquility Bay have defib's if you are up north. I can't speak to the battery charge of Sueno's but ours is relatively new! :-) We should have a list of all of the resort/shops that have defibs up and down the coast!

Carlos
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 05:34 PM
Resort, Dive Shops or other locations with AED machines

Tranquility Bay Resort
Sueno Del Mar
Costa Maya
Solaria
Palapa Bar
Hyperbaric Chamber
South Neighborhood watch substation

P.S. as we update this list we should keep it in directional order North to South.

Cheers,
Carlos
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 06:57 PM
This is great info.
I'll incorporate it in the plan.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 07:21 PM
Another thing worth mentioning is that Dr. Lerida Rodriguez prefers that if you are bringing "patients" by boat that you bring them to the yacht club dock. She has a room set aside as a medical emergency room.

Carlos
Posted By: Rachael Eteson Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/14/10 08:45 PM
Hi Elbert,
We have a defib at Solaria
You obviously know where we are but for others - we're sandwiched between Las Terrazas and Journey's End, 3.5 miles north
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/18/10 04:30 PM
I have been working on mapping AEDs onthe island, but then Island ferry sold out. I have been trying to find out what happened to the all the equipment I have brought down for ACER over the years, but not getting much luck.

I know that Sueno's SED is about two (going on 3 now) years old.

If anyone would like to help get ACER back on its feet, please let me know.

Charlie
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/18/10 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by reaper
We discussed all of this a while back and wanted to form an "EMS" team to come up with some ideas for any type of medical/trauma emergency. We need to reopen that dialog and bring the BTB on board. As most of you know, San Pedro is not the best place in the world to have a medical issue.
AED's need to be checked out monthly. The few I have seen on the island had dead batteries.
Paging Dr. Blackledge.

Like Reapper, I have been trying to get this set up for years, we were making good headway until Island Ferry sold out...

I own all of the ACER websites, blogs, twitter accounts, so if we can retool ACER, I'm all for it! Appears off the supplies / equipmennt I have broght down of the years for ACER is MIA... my last visit was over 210s lbs (max airline for 3 bags) I had supplies for ACER, Poly Clinic, etc
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/18/10 04:48 PM
a big problem with AED's is corrosion and battery deterioration so a new one won't hurt.
An additional AED would probably be best placed on the Coastal Express Boat as it will probably be the responder transportation.
HeartStart is the new Phillips portable on site pad AED Defibrillator.
The Coastal staff has been trained in First Aid and CPR so it will only take a few min.'s to show them how to use it.
(Please feel free to copy this and delete our name and insert yours if you need a printed plan.)
latest update below.
White Sands Dive Shop
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies

[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

Posted By: reaper Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 04:32 AM
The island really is in need of a functioning EMS system.
We worked up a full arrest a few years back at the Aqua Dives dock. Someone showed up with an AED that didn't even have a battery.
FYI. Dr. Danny at Ambergris Hope has a lot of EMS equipment I have brought down over the years.

Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 05:29 AM
I'd be happy with a rescue team (1st responder) to start, but we need to start!I have a few contacts that are still on the island, but we need a major player, someone have a contact with Costal express?

Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 01:44 PM
I think Eddie Ancona is the manager 610 1612. I was planning to call him myself today to find out what Coastal Express can do in the way of providing emergency care and to see if they are willing to do more if we can get more training for them.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 04:59 PM
Coastal Express has stated it will be happy to assume the role of emergency first response - but as Natalie has said some additional and on-going training will be vital.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 06:52 PM
I can do the training, but as it stands now I am not down till Nov. I cal also create the training plans, etc. If we can get a good contact phone number I can update all the websites, still need someone local to help move this forward.

I have tons of notes etc posted on a ACER Staff members only that outlines some of the SWOT for ACER.

Charlie
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 06:55 PM
I agree. This is a creay week for me, I have two major large scale events I am provicing medical support for, so if you don't hear much from me, just hang loose.

Elbert, I'd like to publish this on the ACER website, if thats ok with you.

Originally Posted by elbert
a big problem with AED's is corrosion and battery deterioration so a new one won't hurt.
An additional AED would probably be best placed on the Coastal Express Boat as it will probably be the responder transportation.
HeartStart is the new Phillips portable on site pad AED Defibrillator.
The Coastal staff has been trained in First Aid and CPR so it will only take a few min.'s to show them how to use it.
latest update below.
White Sands Dive Shop
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation
Transportation from the Amigos dock in San Pedro Town to airport or chamber is by land taxi service also arranged by Costal Express. Costal Express employees are trained, experienced and rehearsed for Emergency Evacuations from Ambergris Caye’s remote North areas.

Med-Flight Emergencies

[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/19/10 10:15 PM
No problem i posted it here for the purpose of getting it around and up dated. i think thats working.
All the Guys at Coastal have had training , some of it when they where working for Island Ferry.
They just need the AED section and I'm a current First Responder Instructor, I would be happy to do that no charge. I've ordered a new Phillips HeartStart AED with an extra practice battery and pads.
It wouldn't take but a few min. to bring them up to speed after it arrives.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/20/10 02:33 AM
Elbert

That is the model we have here at Tranquility. Come on up if you are feeling low on energy!

Carlos
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/20/10 02:51 AM
It's nice... and a bit frustrating I suppose... to see this thread start again. As part of Bandage International, my colleagues (emergency room docs, advanced paramedics, and nurses) and I have been to AC 8 times, runing training sessions with ACER, hotel staff, and whoever could and would come.

Our goal from the start was to set up a chain of survival system where an injured/sick person could be met by a first responder and transferred to more appropriate care with increasing knowledge and ability to act. We have trained over 500 people in country but the goal of keeping this "system" in place is elusive because the players change and it only seems to get "popular" when something happens.

We have gone so far as to offer (to mayor and area rep) coordination of setting up a non-profit ER on the caye to to help bring in volunteer physician and medic staff from Canada/US in high season. Any and all donations would back to the clinic and all followups to the local docs to help smooth the political waters. Also expressed pleasure to work with the locals docs. In the end, No interest.

We tried to have an emergency health summit last year. The phrase "herding cats" comes to mind.

The bottom line is that having a real chain of care is by no means impossible but requires citizens (expat and local), government, and business to make this a priority and sit down and sort it out. Until that happens, good will and good effort by many bringing equipment and instruction will help a bit but never really attain the syste that is optimal.

As always, we are happy to participate in this process in any way we can with planning, ideas, time, and money, but it really needs to be taken more seriously by more people at the same time.

As always, I love the place and the people but feel a little frankness is required in this conversation. Hope to see you all soon.

Dr. John

btw Costa Maya has an AED and have staff trained in its use and there was one at the South Neighborhood watch station.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 07/20/10 06:39 AM
Right on!

we can only do so much remotely... we need boots on the ground!
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/07/10 06:21 PM
Astrum operates the Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger helicopter and a Bell 206 L4 Longer Ranger.
The Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger
Corporate configuration, emergency floats, high visibility markings, 2 GPS, 3 VHF radios (including company frequency), cargo hook, satellite phone.
The Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger is a 5 place helicopter with an average cruise speed of 100 mph, range of 330 miles and an endurance of 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Hourly Rate: $ 1,000 USD + GST 12.5%
The Bell 206 Long Ranger
Corporate configuration, emergency floats, high visibility markings, 2 GPS, 3 VHF radios (including company frequency), cargo hook, satellite phone, litter kit (2 stretchers), air conditioner
The Bell 206 L Long Ranger is a 7 place helicopter with an average cruise speed of 110 mph, range of 330 miles and an endurance of 3 hours.

Hourly Rate: $ 1,950 USD + GST 12.5%

As regards Medivac Services:
The Jet Ranger can seat 1 patient and 1 medic. The patient must be able to sit during flight.
The Long Ranger can hold 2 stretchers, 1 medic and 1 extra passenger.
A Paramedic is contacted immediately and they will assist the injured patient during flight. The cost of paramedic is US$ 100.00 per hour.
[email protected]
Posted By: cracked up Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/07/10 09:06 PM
Tropic Air is available 24/7 (SPR>BZE only) for doctor ordered medivac.
Takes about an hour to mobilize the personnel at the international arpt. for night/after hrs. operations; ATC, lights ect.
Standard charter rate + boarding & overtime for the pilot.
All SPR Doctors have contact information
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/10 04:30 PM
jets and choppers are wonderful if one gets to them alive, or alive enough to survive the flight and get to definitive care. Sadly this is often not the case with acute and severe medical conditions. More focus on the "chain of survival" is important in this discussion. Just saying...
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/10 04:33 PM
Agreed, I feel the most important thing that can be done right now is De-fibs in the Coastal Express Boats.
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/10 04:37 PM
that's important. And make it widely known that they are there so people will call when an incident happens. Train staff/residents on what to do first, right away when an incident happens. Know where the nearest trained person is if you are north or south. And make sure the people with the defibs know how to use them and/or that they aren't rusted/out of power. The most important time with anything needing a defib is the first five to ten minutes.... starting CPR even before the defib gets there. Unfort you can't defib a dead heart.... Already seen it twice on AC. Sad, bad for business, and preventable.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/14/10 03:39 PM
A group of us have been meeting and trying to organize an emergency team. We are in need of funds and equipment and especially some trained first responders. Does anyone know of persons residing here that may be willing to be on the team? We have Scott Harnish and are in the process of trying to arrange first aid training for the Coastal Express staff.
Dr John, is Bandage International planning to come down anytime soon? We could use your help for more advanced training for the team.
We are trying to locate some of the equipment that was with Island Ferry. We are really in need in some backboards amongst other basic stuff, but we will know more after we have searched for what there is already in place.
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/15/10 03:23 AM
Bandage International plans to be back down in late october or early november... let me know what you find or don't find... there should be a number of back boards around but I know the drill. We can bring some more. We will likely run a basic and advanced course this trip.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/15/10 01:05 PM
That's great! I will keep in touch---I think I have your email address.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/15/10 06:25 PM
I have made contact with a local organization here that has access to all kinds of medical equipment and supplies. I need a list of needs, and they need donations to cover shipping. They have even given away ambulances!

I have made contact with our local physio control rep and can get good prices on top of the line AEDs, the vendor that was chosen for the space station. I also have access to refirb units at a discount.

I hope to be down in Nov Dec time frame, and hope to spend about 35 days on this trip, so we could set up a quite a few classes.

I brought down lots of medical supplies on my last visit, from KEDS to neb kits to gloves to etc, but this new contact I have will blow anything I have done previously away,

As John said, your chain is only as strong as the weakest link, it takes all the players to make this thing work.

Can someone make contact with the Poly Clinic and as about the needs for them?
Posted By: natalie p Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/15/10 09:07 PM
Dr.Rodriquez from the Polyclinic is involved with this as well as the private doctors.The biggest need for the Polyclinic is 24 hour staff----just can't see that happening anytime soon. They don't have money to pay new staff or to house them.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 12:53 AM
I am a retired dentist from the states and I work with the polyclinic. I can get the info for you. Wil Lala DDS
[email protected]
Posted By: Ernie B Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 03:35 AM
WHAT ?
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 03:41 AM
fyi the local place I have been in contact with

http://hospitalsofhope.org/

my email

[email protected]

Charlie Fair
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 03:23 PM
maybe I shouldn't stir the pot but here goes... mixing medicine and religion... may not be the best idea... any idea Charlie how these guys mix the two in a practical sense on the ground? Giving is so great and important but if its tied to preaching to people I'm not sure how I feel about it. Thoughts?
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 03:51 PM
Please feel free to copy and use the updated plan below
The Belize Tourist Board and PADI organization as well as the San Pedro Tour Guide association require EAP's be handy for all operators.
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies
[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/16/10 10:04 PM
John, I don't I can give them a call or drop by and ask. I'm just looking for resources. They are buying our old ambulances not sure if an ambulance is a good idea for AC.
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/17/10 02:14 PM
the last ambulance rotted in front of the medical school... thanks for all the work you are doing Charlie... hope to catch up soon.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/17/10 04:39 PM
All of this is well intentioned - and the services you indicate are needed. But without education at a grass roots level, nothing happens to improve conditions long-rage. The rotting ambulance is but one example. Folks from the US think the need for 9-11, ambulance, trauma center, etc is obvious, but clearly it's not so obvious to the leaders of this island community.
Posted By: drdisaster Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/17/10 05:59 PM
well said Diane... bottom up community education and participation is the way to go... with gradual addition of knowledge and services... will build a functional community network.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/17/10 09:09 PM
In the absence of government you must govern yourself.
i forgot who said that! but its used a lot down here , just do it government isn't.
Donations to government that require follow up on their part are a waste.
like a ambulance that needs a driver and gasoline or a police boat, motorcycle or truck.
wasted money and effort.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/18/10 03:40 AM
I said "not sure if an ambulance is a good idea for AC."

hey don't shoot the messenger!

I am just brainstorming from a distance.

I have collected, bought and hauled medical supplies and done training on AC.... you can't get much more grassroots then that.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/18/10 03:38 PM
I don't know the history of the boat that has 'Police' on the side but it comes by quite often looking for sardines as bait with tourist going fishing in it. Looks like its being used commercially by a fishing guide.
Gringos have a long history on the island of magnanimous gifts that are not appreciated as intended.
Thats the point I meant to convey.
Posted By: bywarren Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/18/10 03:56 PM
Agreed Elbert, like what happened with the idea of bicycle patrols by the police.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 10/22/10 02:36 PM
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mata Chica Staff gets CPR/First Aid Training
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 11/28/10 07:21 PM
Bump up
This info needs to be found easily.
Could one of the administrators make this sticky?
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 11/28/10 07:28 PM
Please feel free to copy and use the updated plan below
The Belize Tourist Board and PADI organization as well as the San Pedro Tour Guide association require EAP's be handy for all operators.
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies
[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/09/11 07:40 PM
OK its that time of year again.
The BTB is requiring the below to be added to your renewal application.
Emergency Action Plan 2011/2012
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies
[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber
Dr.Daniel Gonzalez,AmbergrisHopes Clinic, 226-2660. or 606 2316
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/09/11 07:46 PM
When are they gonna remove Dr. Otto?
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/09/11 07:55 PM
Right now, that's why I posted so folks could help update it .Thanks
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/09/11 09:43 PM
San Pedro Chiropractic clinic is closed but maybe Dr. Armould will be added to the list.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/11 02:04 PM
OK, got that out also. Thanks.
Everyone feel free to copy and change the plan to be specific for your operation. BTB is requiring an Emergency Plan of Action be attached to this years renewal application.
Posted By: Phil Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/11 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by SP Daily

You might want to do the same on your site Jesse.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/11 03:55 PM
Dr. Daniel Gonzalez, Ambergris Hopes Clinic, 226-2660. or 606 2316
added, Thanks
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/10/11 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Phil
Originally Posted by SP Daily

You might want to do the same on your site Jesse.

DONE! Thanks....
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 01/11/13 07:00 PM
Please feel free to copy and use the updated plan below, feel free to delete our name and insert yours where necessary.
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies
[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: Emergency Action Plan - 01/12/13 06:33 PM
Thanks so much Elbert, this is very helpful info.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Emergency Action Plan - 02/19/13 04:41 PM
I agree very useful information.

Anyone have an idea of resorts that have defibrillators?

Victoria house, Phoenix and South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood watch all have some people trained to use Lifepak 500 that is also same kind that the Poly Clinic has.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: Emergency Action Plan - 03/08/13 03:53 PM
Elbert there is a defibrillator in Solaria II but I doubt anyone there knows about it. Every time I go there I put it on the counter so it is easily available and of course every time the maid hides it somewhere in the cabinets. It may well require a new battery by now but it is there and if you can use it or know someone who would use it appropriately (by that I mean have it available) you are welcome to it.

Martin
Posted By: tacogirl Re: Emergency Action Plan - 05/13/13 12:38 PM
The San Pedro Belize Red Cross is working on getting an Emergency warning Siren system for the island. This will help alert a large portion of Ambergris Caye at once should something major happen.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/07/14 05:55 PM
bump
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/07/14 11:57 PM
Would love to see the Emergency Action Plan for Puerto Azul
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/09/14 10:22 PM
The BTB requires a plan like this for its applications and renewals of applications. I've posted it for all to copy.
This year, in it's wisdom, The Board decided all Tourist Guides and Tour Operators licences will expire on the same date so there might be a little rush for this application paperwork.
Posted By: elbert Re: Emergency Action Plan - 08/27/16 01:54 PM
Bump,
Found it.
It's that time of the year again.
Please feel free to copy and use the updated plan below, feel free to delete our name and insert yours where necessary.
Emergency Action Plan
Safety Operations
Emergency Evacuation

Med-Flight Emergencies
[email protected]

Trauma
Hospitals
Hyperbaric Chamber

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board