AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: A C Unlimited US Phone/Texting/Skype services... - 12/10/10 08:45 PM
A friend of mine has been thinking about helping people out with vpns/proxies/magicjack/skype stuff etc. we comeback in january, hes thinking about setting up a way that he can get people using these things and charging a small monthly fee to keep it running full time.

Most people that know how to do this do it for relatively cheap, id be charging 25-30US per month to keep it running 99% of the time with 24/7 with support. plus a setup fee. you would get a US number that has unlimited calls/texting.

I wont go into details about how he will do this but he CAN do it. And hes not going to do it unless he has 20 or so people that want the service. Please let me know if you are interested. You would need to already have internet for this to work obviously, the faster the better but i was fine on the 1mb btl dsl last year.

PM me if you are interested.

AC

this would all be auto billed/reccur with a credit card, or you would need to pay up front for a few months with cash.

Ah jeez, another dreamer and schemer.
...not really actually (dreamer & schemer) that is. This is something millions of folks around the rest of the world use daily with great success. Under typical circumstances your average 10 year old could set it up. What makes Belize atypical is the completely a$$-backwards viewpoint the local telecom has with respect to new technology. Thus, it's a huge PIA to keep up and running.

If I'm reading this correctly, what AC is trying to market is not the technology itself but the complete pain in the ass administration/upkeep to keep VOIP and such up and running on a daily basis. IE, what he's selling is convenience. The cornerstone of many a successful business.
...if an ISP in virtually ANY other country (with the possible exception of North Korea?) took the same approach to business/internet technology that BTL does, they would be out of business in a week.
Posted By: A C Re: Unlimited US Phone/Texting/Skype services... - 12/10/10 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by datallmon
Ah jeez, another dreamer and schemer.

lol wow. Not sure who you are, but you obviously dont know who i am, or what I am about. So please hold off on the insults.

i have a beach front 2,000 sq foot condo in SP that i pay for when i am there and when i am not. I make my living with other online ventures and have for the past 10 years. i live there 8months out of the year. This is NOT a get rich quick scheme for me. this is a service Im trying to help offer the community.

The money that this would cost, wouldn't do much more but pay for the dedicated server and IP's that id get from texas (closest hop for btl).

Im not trying to scam or scheme anyone, or even make much of a profit. I dont need the money. Im trying to help friends and other locals that need this service. By getting XX people to go in on this I can get a bad ass server and an allocation of IP's that btl couldnt do shit about and it would be the fastest thing going by far as far as getting around their blocks.

Jeff has it right, and he understands the value of it. A lot of other people do to. Im just trying to see how many and if theres enough for me to cover costs of investments.

AC
Look here is the deal, A.C. has done a lot of work for us in the past regarding online maintenance, and has been nothing but a professional. If he says he can do it, it's most likely not B.S. Anyway not one for drama, just sayin it how it is. By the way we're in A.C. if you get it running. Who isn't a dreamer that lives in S.P.

LBH out!
sign me up
datallmon is husband of gwena.
AC...I just thought I'd let you know that some things have changed since you've been gone. If you want details PM me. There detecting VOIP a lot more these days but there are ways around it. I use my setup all of the time and I'm sure it's the same setup you'll be using. As long as you don't sell it to too many people I'm sure you'll be ok. If they detect a lot of voice packets going in and out you may have some issues. I hope it works out for you bro...see you when you get back...
Posted By: A C Re: Unlimited US Phone/Texting/Skype services... - 12/11/10 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by hazzyy
AC...I just thought I'd let you know that some things have changed since you've been gone. If you want details PM me. There detecting VOIP a lot more these days but there are ways around it. I use my setup all of the time and I'm sure it's the same setup you'll be using. As long as you don't sell it to too many people I'm sure you'll be ok. If they detect a lot of voice packets going in and out you may have some issues. I hope it works out for you bro...see you when you get back...

hey bro i hit you up on aim
I am in. It is exactly what I need
AC when are you back i am back Jan 3 .if your there lets fish .
My house isn't on AC, but if it was i'd do it
I trust AC to pull this off and could use the service all winter, count me in. David
AC - you're better off getting a host in Miami. This is the first US IP hop for BTL's network.

From Arcos Fiber System

[Linked Image]

I will tell you that we went through all of this years ago. Starting in March 2006 - when BTL (under Ashcroft) started simply blocking pieces of the SIP handshake rendering calls impossible. Since then (starting in 2009), the blocks have gotten far more sophisticated. At one point, there were inspecting using very expensive gear that would look for flow signatures. Even if it was encrypted, if it looked or smelled like a VoIP session (bidirectional 70kbps UDP flow) - they'd block all traffic between the two hosts. This was PPTP, IPSEC, SSL - whatever.

If BTL wanted to reduce rates, they'd do so. BTL is a huge source or tax revenue for the country and they're not interested in losing the battle. Their network is small enough that they WILL find you. They'll block and block and block until you give up the fight. Keep it small and non-publicized and you may get away with it for a few months to a year.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board