AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Good gifts for native Belizians

Posted By: howardv

Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/07/11 11:11 PM

I will be visiting Belize for the first time - arriving July 12th. I am expecting to spend some time visiting local Belizians in Hope Creek (near Pomona) and was wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding what small gifts I could take with me that would be appreciated by locals? Would it look ridiculous if I gave them sugar? and if not, do Belizians prefer brown sugar or white sugar? How likely is it that the sugar "shortage" will still exist a week from now?
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/11/11 04:18 AM

Simple things like reading glasses from the dollar store. You would be surprised how many people need a little help to see and read. You can buy unlocked cell phones in the U.S. for $25..here they are about $150. its not really a luxury if you are a fisherman or boat owner....
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/11/11 01:38 PM

Hi Howard - I wouldn't bring sugar.
T-shirts from your hometown in a variety of sizes is a sure thing - they are fun, they don't come off as condescending and they absolutely get worn.
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/11/11 02:10 PM

Flashlights and fish hooks also first aid kits are very expensive here.
Posted By: Chica Blanca

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/11/11 03:21 PM

School supplies for the kids. Note books, pens, pencils, crayons, erasers, and children's coloring books. Reading books for a school library.
Posted By: ColdwellBankerSP

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/13/11 06:14 PM

Jumbo bag of mixed candy!
Posted By: Babsy

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/14/11 06:50 PM

Mike and I are going to CC in August. Where would we take items such as reading glasses?
Posted By: Hon

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/14/11 10:01 PM

Bring candy for Chris if you want to but please, please don't bring it for the kids! School supplies, books, reading glasses, fish hooks, first aid kits are all great ideas. Me being me, I'll add soccer balls/footballs/rugby balls (w/inflation needles), kites, baseball gloves, frisbees or anything that helps keep kids active...but that's just me smile
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/14/11 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Babsy
Mike and I are going to CC in August. Where would we take items such as reading glasses?

My t-shirt suggestion notwithstanding ...... IMHO probably the the best (and easiest for all concerned) thing to do is spend your money in legitimate businesses and allow the people you meet to earn a living. Tip well, go out to eat, snorkel, take tours, buy local crafts and art. Enable our tourism industry to grow - tell your friends about Belize - and come back again!!
Posted By: Babsy

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/15/11 12:23 AM

Diane, we do plan to do all of that. But when I saw the suggestion for reading glasses I thought maybe a need for them was rising faster than obtaining the glasses.

Mike and I hope to retire there some day....(soon I hope) so we will be coming down often!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/15/11 01:00 AM

Plenty reading glasses available in pharmacies here

Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/15/11 02:37 AM

Head to your local Dollar Store, you will find a plethora of great stuff to bring down. I have brought hair bands and clips for the girls and some cool toys for the boys. Also, bubbles, candy, coloring books, crayons, candles, even salt and pepper grinders, which cooks love). One time I bought some plastic CatDogs (from the cartoon) that had bubble gum in them. They were a hit with the kids, and the parents loved them too!
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/15/11 01:09 PM

Bring books and art supplies for the local library and/or school. They are needed and appreciated by all and you get the fun of delivering them
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 07/15/11 11:45 PM

Regarding Glasses.. You can take them to The Health Clinic to Donna. Also as you go about the Island you will occasionally see elderly men working very hard with their 3 wheel bikes, usually going to and from the dump. In their late 50s early 60s and up. Several elderly ladies walk the streets at dusk. You know eyesight usually always deteriorates as we age. Go to the Church and give some to the pastor he will know who can use them. For basic old age deterioration 1.50 to 1.75 strength improve general eyesight.
School supplies are always needed..if you are going to be in the City they can be purchased here for near the same price as in the States if you are luggage restricted.
TO SP DAILY..Reading glasses are not at all available here at $1.00 each. They run from $18 to $24 each and poor folks can eat for days on that kind of money. I first started bringing them in when our favorite waitress always held her order pad 3 inches from her nose. For awhile..about 7 yrs ago I had upwards of 15 folks or so wearing them everyday when I saw them...but they dont last forever. Salt air!!! SP DAILY I think it a cheap shot regarding my P.M.to you..perhaps you posted to quickly. I have done the same but will always fess up when I mess up!!!

As Laurie Mar says..The Dollar Stores hold many treasures..
Posted By: howardv

Re: Good gifts for native Belizians - 08/24/11 03:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I left before most of them were sent, so I ended up just taking sugar for my hosts (who were really appreciative because they were having difficulty getting sugar at the time). I took chocolate covered peanuts for the new people I met, and got hugs for that. I must say, though, that I was given far more from the Belizians than I took down myself. I have never met a more loving and accepting people. Hopefully this will be my last year teaching and then I would like to move down.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board