AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics

Posted By: Noelle

Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/14/11 05:48 PM

Hello,

We are in the process of deciding what cook wear to bring with us to Caye Caulker. I know from experience that everything rusts quickly there. Is it madness to bring our cast iron? It's so all purpose and sturdy that it usually makes a good choice if you are limiting quantity but I'm afraid it will totally rust the first day. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Noelle
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/14/11 05:59 PM

I've been using cast iron cookware for years...no problems

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/14/11 06:10 PM

Thanks SP Daily! I'm glad to hear that.
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/14/11 11:08 PM

it'll rust (on the surface) but that's not a reason not to bring it. just keep it seasoned/oiled and clean it when it rusts/oil it again.
Posted By: wade the gringo

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/15/11 04:26 AM

oil is the key.....at home we use cast iron wok and pan..All of the Wade the Gringo Burgers are cooked in my cast iron..
Posted By: Bear

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/15/11 07:37 AM

besides a little rust helps keep the red cell count high...

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/15/11 02:56 PM

I think that cooing on cast iron (regardless of rust) adds iron to your food.
Posted By: wade the gringo

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/15/11 03:20 PM

3 health reasons to cook with cast-iron

Cooking with cast iron fortifies your food with iron.
While cast iron doesnít leach chemicals, it can leach some iron into your food...and thatís a good thing. Iron deficiency is fairly common worldwide, especially among women. In fact, 10% of American women are iron-deficient. Cooking food, especially something acidic like tomato sauce in a cast-iron skillet can increase iron content, by as much as 20 times.
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/3-health-reasons-to-cook-with-cast-iron-2574645
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/15/11 07:56 PM

Once cast iron is seasosned it does not rust so quickly. I foolishly gave all of mine away when I moved here - for me the weight was a consideration. I'm very sorry now and am paying the high price to add pieces for my outdoor cooking.

Right now they are all sitting on the fogon full of rain water.

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/16/11 05:00 AM

I use cast iron all the time and it's the only stuff I feel is valuable enough for me to haul down. My mom called it "the original no-stick cookware". If I can only bring a few kitchen things they will be cast iron. Thanks for all the affirmation, people. I'm so happy to hear that the Cayes and cast iron play well together!
Posted By: Bear

Re: Cast Iron Cook Wear in the Tropics - 10/16/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Once I foolishly gave all of mine away when I moved here - for me the weight was a consideration...I'm very sorry now...

Oh no H...the time invested in getting that beautiful black crust built up, that near non-stick surface...I'm feelin' it for you...
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board