AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: changosgal FedEx - 09/30/12 10:02 PM
How long does it take for a FedEx envelope to get from the States to San Pedro?
Posted By: Decompression Re: FedEx - 09/30/12 10:18 PM
From my experience, a week minimum.

DC
Posted By: changosgal Re: FedEx - 09/30/12 10:25 PM
Ugh I need it before the 8th.
Posted By: Decompression Re: FedEx - 09/30/12 10:30 PM
Put it in the mail TODAY.

DC
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 01:31 AM
Fed Ex never takes more than 1 week. In general 5 days.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 01:31 AM
Fed Ex never takes more than 1 week. In general 5 days.
Posted By: ron Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 07:23 AM
i got a package from Phoenix via fedex in 5 days over new years last year. Delivered to Caye Caulker which they cleared through customs for me.
Posted By: Dane Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 08:22 AM
Fast mail from the states is more reliable than Fedex. I have shipped hundreds of items both ways. Post office clears Customs as well.
Sometimes I had the same experience as Ron with Fedex, sometimes not.
Post office is cheaper too
Posted By: SimonB Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 12:16 PM
Fed Ex depends on what day the item is shipped as the deliveries only leave Miami on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since they changed hands they've been very bad about notification of items arriving in country and needing clearance. Not a big issue if you know something is shipping on a specific day and should be here on a specific day but if you are waiting on a back order or special order make sure you ask for a tracking number and keep on top of it. On at least 3 occasions I have had items sitting at FedEx for 2 to 3 weeks for that reason. Items over $1000 in value will not auto clear and you need a broker.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 01:48 PM
Most of my fedex packages track through Miami and then Guatemala before coming to Belize. It takes up to 24 hours for me to receive a package once it hits Belize.

As far as clearing goes, if you track it and have duty clearance prearranged it can be cleared within 24 hours most times.

I see that Mail Boxes Etc handles DHL. They automatically clear packages and call you when they are ready to be picked up in San Pedro. They have set fees and seem very efficient.

I have had many packages arrive at MBE and I wasnt expecting them so they were pleasant surprises.

They seem to clear packages once a week .

The post office has some type of express service, costs the same as fedex and dhl, but if the package is lost you cant track it til it is missing for over 30 day!

Thankfully I have never lost a package with Fedex or DHL although back a few years ago the DHL service provider on the island would hold itmes for ransom and threatened not to deliver them unless you paid a $10 delivery fee. That is no longer the case.
Posted By: Dane Re: FedEx - 10/01/12 08:17 PM
After Fedex held some of my packages without informing me as Simon said I called the main office and asked about the guaranteed time of delivery I had paid for. They said the packages were held up in Customs.
Not true and I proved it. They were stacking them up without informing me.
I got all the money refunded for shipping on a lot of past packages all in one check.
The owner of Fedex in Belize called and wanted to fix this. He has never heard of a problem from a client until I asked for a refund. On checking with his other clients he found a serious problem. Many of them thought 2 to 3 weeks was normal for Fedex fastest delivery.
Now the problem is spotty so if it is important I always use the post office.
Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: FedEx - 10/02/12 12:37 PM
My only experience is with documents with zero value and I have never waited Tropic Air) Always calls me when the envelops arrive here in SP. I always track shipments going out and shipments arriving.

I have used UPS on several occassions for packages and everything was fine but you pay an extra charge to have it come out to San Pedro like it was with DHL.

Posted By: TravelinMan1 Re: FedEx - 10/02/12 12:38 PM
By the way for larger items I would suggest AmeriJet. I have had goo experiences with them for larger rush packages.
Posted By: changosgal Re: FedEx - 10/02/12 02:28 PM
Had it sent DHL. They say it will be here by the 5th. Fingers crossed they are right!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board