AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/02/12 12:14 PM

Bandwidth Breakthrough

A recent survey of the Caribbean showed that Belize's internet rates were the among the highest and its bandwidth among the lowest. Telemedia, the nationally owned phone company has been roundly criticized and condemned for it.

And now, the company is doing something about it: they're doubling the speed again, but halving the price at the same time. The Prime Minister broke the news at his Business Forum this morning. Here's how he explained it:..

Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister of Belize
"Now comes what I consider to be a seminal new development; icing on the cake, with whip cream and cherry on top. Yesterday the BTL boards of directors agree that the company will once more give its internet customers increased bandwidth at reduce prices. According the 128k internet speed will go from $49 per month to $25 per month. All other DSL internet speeds will double but for less than the current price. As examples: one megabit which currently cost $300 will now sell for $140 per month, and two megabits sold now for $500 will cost only $240. So that going to back to the one megabit example; the customer currently pays $300 per month but that customer can now go up to two megabits for $240 for less than $300 that he currently pays for one megabit he can go up to two megabits. I really think ladies and gentlemen this is something."

"These reductions will take place later this month so that our people can make their new arrangements and enjoy the reductions on the December bill. I want to make the point that these developments are happening against the backdrop of the 4G roll out which will be fully operational next month - by the end of December. Ladies and gentlemen, how about that for helping the business climate."

As the PM noted, the speed increase and price decrease should go into effect at the end of this month.

Channel 7

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/02/12 01:04 PM
EXCELLENT MOVE.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/02/12 02:27 PM
Will Coral Cable match or lose business?
Posted By: BZ4me Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/03/12 01:14 PM
We went in and spoke to the lady behind the desk yesterday. She told us there was no word yet and to call them in a week or two. I wonder if that is really a week or two or if it's island time? wink
Posted By: Marty Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/03/12 01:14 PM
Well, isn't this the best news you have heard this entire year. Belize Telemedia Limited (BTL), Belize's biggest internet provider, will be cutting their internet prices by half.

For 128K internet connection you will be paying a monthly fee of 25$ that is half of what we are currently paying now ($50). The best part is that this applies for all the other speeds.

This is excellent news for all Belizeans, especially the business industry. Finally, I will be able to afford my 1 meg line. So cool! This mean I would have to do some changes on my latest infographic of the Story of the Internet in Belize.

I totally dig this change and must compliment BTL and its administrators for this bold move, that should take effect sometime this month.

This is the official announcement from the PM of Belize, Hon. Dean Barrow:
"Now comes what I consider to be a seminal new development; icing on the cake, with whip cream and cherry on top. Yesterday the BTL boards of directors agree that the company will once more give its internet customers increased bandwidth at reduce prices. According the 128k internet speed will go from $49 per month to $25 per month. All other DSL internet speeds will double but for less than the current price. As examples: one megabit which currently cost $300 will now sell for $140 per month, and two megabits sold now for $500 will cost only $240. So that going to back to the one megabit example; the customer currently pays $300 per month but that customer can now go up to two megabits for $240 for less than $300 that he currently pays for one megabit he can go up to two megabits. I really think ladies and gentlemen this is something."

"These reductions will take place later this month so that our people can make their new arrangements and enjoy the reductions on the December bill. I want to make the point that these developments are happening against the backdrop of the 4G roll out which will be fully operational next month - by the end of December. Ladies and gentlemen, how about that for helping the business climate."

iBelmopan Blog

Posted By: artisan Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/04/12 02:02 PM
I have a cell phone tower modem for my laptop, VERY slow, does anyone know if this will also improve?
Thanks!
Posted By: catdance62 Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/04/12 02:40 PM
I heard that Southern cable boosted their internet speeds on the Placencia Peninsula. that is what we use at our house there. Going back at the end of the month for the winter and looking forward to checking it out!
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/05/12 02:58 AM
To address the Coral Cable question ...... CC buys service from BTL. They then bundle it with cable tv and send it along to you.
They have - say, maybe 10 subscriptions that they repackage and send out to a bunch of subscribers - essentially you're on a "party line" for internet with CC.
CC is simply BTL brought to you a different way, and significantly diluted.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/05/12 04:30 AM
Wow - good to know. And is BTL no longer dial up?
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/05/12 07:04 AM
Fantastic

BTL has finally come into the year 1999 smile

Its a start but still a long way to go to get to 2012.

Not bitching cos its a big jump for them and being able to get an almost usable service.

Gaz
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/05/12 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Wow - good to know. And is BTL no longer dial up?

BTL is DSL if you have a hard-line phone. Has been for quite some time.

A few months ago we tried to expand an existing service 5 miles north to include a second hard-line and were told that there were no more available. Apparently the hardware was maxed out.
Anticipating that the recent work will allow for more hard-lines but haven't yet made a direct inquiry.
Posted By: ibelmopan Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/05/12 04:04 PM
Thanks for the share Marty!
Posted By: Marty Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 11/09/12 01:38 PM

Business Community applauds Government's Internet Cost Reduction Efforts

Gathering of Government, CEOs, the business community and other stakeholders

Opponents of the Barrow administration did an excellent job of painting the last Government as anti-business. They based such propaganda on episodes of Government's public battle with the Ashcroft Alliance and the subsequent takeover of two utility companies. It also didn't help the administration that businesses locally began to feel the full impact of the global economic crisis during Prime Minister Barrow's first term. However, non-politically affiliated businessmen will concede that considering the amount of tax breaks introduced by the administration, and the impact of the infrastructural stimulus, this administration has been the most business - friendly in Belize's history. The administration now plans to continue building on a much improved direct relationship with the private sector by immediately implementing policies that will foster an environment for businesses to succeed. That means looking beyond tax breaks and policy reform and towards the environment in which the businesses exist.

The success of the business community is dependent on the social advancement of the society in which it dwells. Belize is ranked 123 out of 142 countries on the 2012 Global Competitiveness Index Report. This is an extremely poor position to be in however, considering the fact that Belize didn't even rank in previous surveys, the country is definitely on the right track. The poor rating is due in large part to our technology readiness. Belize's Internet penetration of 10% is lowest in the region and the cost of technology is highest. Improving these statistics is of paramount importance to the 2012-2017 Barrow Administration. That is the reason Prime Minister Barrow appointed the country's first Minister of Science and Technology, Senator Joy Grant. Improved accessible technology will immediately improve the business climate of Belize. Since October 2010, Internet costs in Belize have been reduced significantly. At its lowest speed, 128 kb, cost of internet was above $100 per month. Today, it is below $50 and on December 1st, it will be at $25. The reduction is even more incredible at faster speeds. The cost of 1 MB speed internet was $500 in 2010. Today, it is $300 and on December 1st, it will be $140. Prime Minister Barrow announced the price changes at the second annual business forum between the private and public sectors. Private sector representatives greeted the news with a huge round of applause.

Combined with the reduction in electricity and water rates, lower Internet and telephone rates have made it far cheaper to operate and expand businesses in Belize. However, Government's goal is to not just to reduce cost of business operations. Government's goal is to improve the overall business climate. That means making the technology available to a wider market. That is the responsibility of the Ministry of Science and Technology. Dr. Colin Young is the Chief Executive Officer in that Ministry. He understands the challenge before the new Ministry. Young explained, "Over 100 villages in the country do not have the infrastructure for proper Information and Communication Technology and 43 communities don't even have power." To take full advantage of the technology available in Belize, there needs to be more investment in technological infrastructure.

Belize Telemedia Limited's investment in infrastructure for its new 4G system has made it possible for the lowering of rates and increase in Internet speed. Because of its massive investment in infrastructure and huge expansion in customer base, the company was able to secure a more favourable agreement with its service providers. The savings that will be experienced as a result is being passed on to the majority share holders of the company, the Belizean people. While BTL has readied itself for expansion, the country's other utility companies are doing the same. According to Prime Minister Barrow, "the three public utilities will together deploy capital investments of over 100 million in 2012/2013." Government's goal is to reduce the number of villages without infrastructure for ICT and the number of communities without power to zero.

The Guardian

Posted By: Marty Re: BTL Doubles Up Internet Speeds - 12/07/12 03:02 PM

Telemedia to launch Digicell 4G Network

Telemedia is amping up the ante as they get ready to launch the much touted Digicell 4G network. Customers in Belize City, Belmopan and Ladyville (the service will be available only in these areas initially) may have been experiencing network failure or dropped calls because of inaccessibility issues as the company works to iron out the kinks in the new system. Customers who have their devices set to dual mode which allows them access to both GSM and WCDMA modes would be experiencing difficulties. The luxury of enjoying the benefits of 4G, however, comes at a grave cost. Monthly Family Broadband plans for 15GB will be $199; Enterprise Broadband plans will be $999; and to enjoy the access for one day will be $8 and for only 250MB.The question of what happens when a customer exhausts the maximum allowable quota in less than the allotted time is still yet to be answered. You can put this one on the expensive list for Christmas.

PlusTV

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board