AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Name change with Immigration

Posted By: sunshiner

Name change with Immigration - 01/22/13 09:35 PM

I have written to Immigration but haven't had a response so I thought I would try here to see if anyone has resolved this issue personally.
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later. I have now remarried and changed my name. I am thinking of moving back to Belize and want to change my name on my Permanent Residency card. I also have my Belize Social Security card and my Belize expired driver's license. I had a Trades License also. Any suggestions? I will be in San Pedro for the month of March.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/22/13 10:19 PM

They are no longer issuing perm res cards so it is all in your passport stamp now. When we wanted to transfer our stamp from our old expired pass to new one they wanted us to leave both old and new with them for 2 weeks just to transfer the stamp. I doubt you could get that done in a month unless you had a minister push it through for you and would probably have to get it done in Belmopan as well.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/22/13 10:50 PM

Well, that is sad as I no longer have that passport. I received the card through all the legal channels in 1999, after moving to San Pedro in 1996.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 01:36 AM

If you have the card you are still legal. Problem is getting them to transfer card information to your new passport in that time period. All you can do is check when you arrive at immigration dept on the island.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 01:37 AM

Does the card match the name on your current passport?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by sunshiner
I received my Permanent Residency for residing in Belize in 1999. I was divorced and moved away a couple of years later.

Do not be surprised if your PR status is revoked and you are given a tourist visa. Although there is, apparently, no specific length of time one needs to be in country to maintain PR status, the information I received was "at least two weeks per year". Good chance the question will come up since the PR cards haven't been used in years and since replaced by stamps/permanent visas in passports.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 04:53 AM

The problem is that my name changed when I remarried and my passport doesn't match the card.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 04:54 AM

When I was in Belize last year, I just used a tourist visa and didn't pursue this. I hate to think that all that time and effort and money is wasted and I will have to start all over again if I decide to move back to Belize.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 03:15 PM

Maybe if you carry a copy of your marriage license with you, it could explain the name-difference. I had to do that when we first got here - it takes time to get names changed on so many docs, that's for sure. Officials seemed fine with this approach.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 05:18 PM

Make sure you have your divorce papers also.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 05:20 PM

You can get a name change here the same way you would anywhere else. You submit your divorce papers and marriage papers and fill in a form and pay a fee. Obviously you may have time constraints to deal with as you are not going to be here and most times you have to submit your original documents so this could be a drawn out process having to handle each authority separately.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 05:21 PM

Your permanent residency card doesn't have to match your current name. Divorces, marriages and name changes are very common.

The residency status is now stamped into your passport. It won't be revoked without just cause.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 01/23/13 05:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will come prepared with all the legal documents to support my name change and see what happens.
Posted By: t42

Re: Name change with Immigration - 02/06/13 04:39 PM

I still use my residency card when I travel and have never been asked to have it stamped in my passport.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 02/06/13 07:01 PM

If you have a card it does not need to be in passport But they stopped issuing the cards years ago and now just stamp your passport.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Name change with Immigration - 02/11/13 12:38 AM

I have been using an old residency card with my new passport and changed name (divorce also), for 7 years. I just keep a copy of the pertinent document folded up and tucked inside my passport case. And in 7 years of back and forth, up and down, in and out, I've only been asked for it twice.

Re: Name change with Immigration - 02/11/13 05:13 AM

Exactly what pertinent document do you carry with your passport? Divorce decree or new marriage certificate?

Re: Name change with Immigration - 02/11/13 07:36 PM

Both probably would be best.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board