AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Jengo48 moderate income retirees - 06/10/14 07:20 PM
I would like to start a discussion among moderate income retirees in Belize and those who are considering retirement in Belize.
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/11/14 02:23 PM
Hi Everyone

If you are a modest income retiree would you like to state anything you learned about economics or lifestyle you would like to share with those us who just came to Belize or thinking about it.
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: moderate income retirees - 06/11/14 11:01 PM
We spend much less money here on a daily basis....However, expenses that we see many forget to include is the process to become legal to stay here....Sometimes I'm a little surprised when I hear people talk about the process and expense to become a legal resident, Qualified Retired Person, Citizen or continued tourist......We are assisting one of our staff members in taking a visit to the United States to see her Mother....It's not easy and it's not cheap. No more than it is for US citizens just to 'move here'.....Therefore; legal and logistical expenses need to be considered.. However, I'm sure this is the case when choosing to retire in any Country that you do not have citizenship in....After that my personal list ranges from hair care products to radicchio and goes on and on.....But I would not change a thing....All worth the effort. PS...Lifestyle is also a major change....And also worth it for us.... smile
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 06:23 PM
hi Judy

What is the process and cost to do the QRP and how long does it take
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 06:46 PM
Does anyone know about moving furniture to /Belize from Los Angeles
Posted By: B4B Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 06:56 PM
Hi Jengo.

We are thinking of using Bluefield Shipping in Los Angeles for our move this year. Call or email Denfield McNab at Bluefieldshipping.com. He has been very responsive to our questions and comes highly recommended by many folks.
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 09:45 PM
I thought you had moved already. I live in LA are you still here
Posted By: B4B Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 10:01 PM
Just sent you a PM.....
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 10:49 PM
Sorry what is a PM
Posted By: B4B Re: moderate income retirees - 06/13/14 11:14 PM
PM = private message.
When you are logged in, click on the My Stuff icon at the top of the page, then select Messages. This keeps it private so that no one else can view the conversation.
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: moderate income retirees - 06/14/14 01:13 AM
Jengo48....Take a look at the www.ambergriscaye.com website front page....On the left side there is a tab marked Economics....That will start your journey for research.... Expenses for the QRP might include Immigration Attorney fees, the application, the flights to and from Belmopan for multiple meetings and interviews along with the actual GOB approved stamp. Good Luck....Remember you reap what you sow.....This will take a lot of research, patience and diligence.....Feel free to send me a PM as you work at it....again Good luck! smile
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/14/14 05:52 PM
Thanks you Judy, That's the kind of detail information I need. I believe you are shipping by sea to Belize, how about by land from Los Angeles
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: moderate income retirees - 06/14/14 10:36 PM
Admittedly we have been on the QRP for some 10 years but we didn't need to use a lawyer to get on the programme we just got help from the BTB people themselves. They continue to be helpful to us (Roshel Godfrey) who looks after the QRP so I Might suggest you get in touch with her first and get some advice and you may find it is not too difficult and doesn't require lawyers and their fees. Just a matter of getting all the right paperwork together.
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/15/14 02:35 AM
BTM means ???? and do you have a contact address or email for roshel godfrey???
Posted By: SimonB Re: moderate income retirees - 06/15/14 03:40 AM
http://www.belize.gov.bz/index.php/ministry-of-tourism-and-culture
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: moderate income retirees - 06/15/14 10:11 PM
[email protected]

And fewer ??? And a please would have been nice!!
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/15/14 11:12 PM
I apologise, thanks very very much. My mother taught me never to forget my manners
Posted By: GwenA Re: moderate income retirees - 06/16/14 01:42 AM
Instead of getting everybody to play "go find me a rock", what is your idea of a moderate income?
Posted By: Jengo48 Re: moderate income retirees - 06/21/14 04:19 PM
2000 to 5000$ US per month to live on
Posted By: GwenA Re: moderate income retirees - 06/21/14 04:58 PM
The minimum per year for QRP used to be $27,000 per year per person. I don't know if that has changed, but $2000 per month may be too little. I'm sure there are opinions about that.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: moderate income retirees - 06/23/14 12:24 AM
Even though the official BTB webpage shows $2,000 per month (see below) they make me give them a copy of my bank account for the last twelve months to prove that I SPEND that amount.
Beware that the 'rules' keep changing. When I signed up in 2002 there was no mention of the program being 'temporary.' They contend this was never so - but I know people who have permanent cards. There was a two year period when they could not provide cards but I carried a letter. When my card finally came it said "Expires . . ." I know a number of people who have left the island because of the inconsistencies.

I just reread the entire website [i](http://www.cdn.gov.bz/belize.gov.bz/images/documents/Qualified%20Retired%20Persons%20Incentives.pdf[/i]) and do not see any notation of 'temporary' or 'renewal' anyplace. Am I just not seeing it or is it not there?
WEB SITE SHOWS"
5. Proof of Income

a. An official statement from a bank or financial institution certifying that the applicant is the
recipient of a pension or annuity of a minimum of Two Thousand United States Dollars (US $2000)
per month.

b. A Financial Statement from a financial institution, bank, credit union, or building society in Belize
certifying that the applicant's investment or deposit will generate the sum, of a minimum of Two
Thousand United States Dollars (US $2000) per

11. Qualified Retired Persons must submit a yearly local bank statement showing compliance with the
financial requirements of the program.

12. Qualified Retired Persons must spend an equivalent of one month in Belize annually to maintain
their status as a Retiree Resident
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board