AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: JimTinker Item Import LIst - 06/25/14 02:34 PM
Hello all....

We are visiting belize the first of the year, as a scouting venture to see where we would like to re-locate....

I know we have to declare the items we are bringing into the country when we move and need to use a broker

How detailed does the list need to be? do I need to list every little item like a wrench, socket etc? also do I need to supply pictures? or do you list like categories...shop tools, kitchen ware, etc....

does anyone have a list I can look at to make sure I set these up correctly or a place that explains this in black and white?

thanks
JT
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Item Import LIst - 06/25/14 05:45 PM
Hello JT.....I might be able to assist you with this....If you send me a private message with an e-mail address I will send you an attachment of what we used for both the shipping company and the Customs Officers...... Maybe that will help you....we brought in both NEW and USED items in a large container and I would be happy to help.... :)OR when you're here on the island, stop in at the restaurant and I'll print one out for you.....
Posted By: ron Re: Item Import LIst - 06/25/14 05:47 PM
There is no easy answer to your question. I have brought things into the country myself and cleared them myself without a customs broker. And I have used a customs broker. If the amount of the goods coming in is less then $3,000 you can clear them yourself. If so, you will need to sometimes have all the receipts especially if new. If used, an estimated value, this is hard because customs might not agree with your value and will use what they think is the value. The last time I cleared my own stuff, its value was over $3,000 and they wanted to see ever receipt. Customs agents can go online and check value. This last time, they said I had to have a customs broker, I use George Bradley 501-600-4221. I have also, cleared stuff when they didn't bother checking my boxes and just asked for an estimated value. This has worked fine even when the value was over $3,000. If you are bring household items, such as towels, sheets, pots and pans make sure they are used (at least take them out of the wrappers and wash). Their value is very low. Sheets in their wrapper as bought from the store, hard to say they are only worth $5. Bringing stuff in yourself can take a day down at the docks. At Christmas time it can take several days. Most custom brokers are reasonable in their fees. I would suggest to go with one of them. They can better guide you in declaring the value of what you are bringing in. Hope this clarifies everything, because it is as vague as what I have just said.
Posted By: JimTinker Re: Item Import LIst - 06/25/14 08:03 PM
Thanks for the replies Judyann H. and ron.....

one question I didnt add to my previous one was, is there a general list of what the duty would be
on specific items or category of items? like shop tools (in a tool box) or a vehicle

thanks again

JT
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Item Import LIst - 06/25/14 11:07 PM
Yes, I saw a list once....However, it did not seem to apply to the things we were bringing in.....Your Residency or lack thereof changes the fee....QRP for example pays differently than a tourist VISA visitor or a Belizean National........And an add on to Ron's post....We also used a Custom's Broker on our container and the customs agents came to our home where the container was delivered, opened and inspected there....We did not have to go to the docks thank goodness....We used Ernesto Pererra of Belize Customs Brokers......Good Luck!
Posted By: JimTinker Re: Item Import LIst - 06/26/14 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Judyann H.
Hello JT.....I might be able to assist you with this....If you send me a private message with an e-mail address I will send you an attachment of what we used for both the shipping company and the Customs Officers...... Maybe that will help you....we brought in both NEW and USED items in a large container and I would be happy to help.... :)OR when you're here on the island, stop in at the restaurant and I'll print one out for you.....

PM sent

thanks
jT
Posted By: JimTinker Re: Item Import LIst - 06/28/14 02:21 PM
are you able to bring in canned goods? home canned stuff....

thanks
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Item Import LIst - 06/28/14 02:23 PM
Importing food requires a license. Ask a customs broker for details.
Posted By: GwenA Re: Item Import LIst - 06/29/14 02:08 PM
Bringing in wooden furniture requires a permit (to support wooden furniture that you could have bought in Belize). A broom can cost a lot (they make brooms in Belize), but a Swiffer costs less. It's incredibly complicated (this allows Customs to interpret). Yes, every item needs to be itemized, each box needs to be numbered and matched to the items in it. Customs may, or may not, deliver your container to your property. If they don't, you pay a daily Port fee. It can be a long time if many ships come into Port at once, not necessarily Christmas. The broker can help with all of this, how to label items, values, dickering with Customs, and dickering with Port authorities.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board