AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Tangles Poolside lounge chairs - 06/30/14 08:18 PM
Hello, does anyone know where we might find some poolside lounge recliners? Wood or plastic are fine. We need three for poolside lounging and sunbathing and can't seem to find them anywhere. With accompanying pillows as well if possible. In fact, any store at all that carries outdoor furniture that you can also recommend?

Thank you!
Posted By: ragman Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 06/30/14 09:12 PM
Humming Bird has outside furniture and I would also try Benny's. I have a set made by Humming Bird and it is quite nice.

Good Luck
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 06/30/14 09:19 PM
Humming Bird furniture is really beautiful but I also find it costly. It depends on how long you want it to last and how much it will be used. There are a lot of Belizean cabinet makers who make very nice hardwood furniture and Kate at Sew What makes wonderful padded seats and lounge pads.
Posted By: Tangles Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 06/30/14 09:19 PM
Thank you Jim. Is Hummingbird on San Pedro?
Posted By: JZB Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 06/30/14 10:46 PM
Mirab Furniture in Belize City has a nice selection. If you call them and let them know what you are looking for, they may even email you photos to save you the trip to the city.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/01/14 11:21 AM
Chaa Creek woodshop is making really nice outdoor furniture, including for around the pool
Posted By: ragman Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/01/14 12:02 PM
Tangles,

Hummingbird has a showroom in San Pedro which is located just south of the "south" gas station. They make the furniture over on the mainland and have a store there but I haven't been there and can't remember just where it is. 226-2960 store or call Hilberto at 621-0607. They have a brochure which illustrates the furniture as well as sets (usually) on site.

Yes, it may cost more but it is fiberglass made to look like wicker and will last a lifetime. (or at least a very long time) In addition it is much lighter than wood. They have several different styles and as I said, we like them. Bobby Lopez is the owner and he is a real good guy who stands behind his products.

ps my friends who have wood have to refinish their wood sets every few years.
Posted By: lovey and thurston Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/01/14 02:38 PM
The store on the mainland is in Belmopan. I had the outdoor wicker chaise lounges and loved them. They really hold up very well, actually better than wood and are easy to move about, so I found the higher price well worth it. I don't find plastic holds up really well in the sun.
Posted By: Tangles Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/02/14 01:31 PM
Great information, thank you so much everyone! R.B., can you tell me which store you mean - is that Hummingbird you were referring to? And Katie, can you tell me where Chaa Creek is? Or is Chaa Creek an actual town maybe I am not aware of?

Yes, I will need durable�they will be out in the sun every day of the year and we rent out our house too, so there's wear and tear to think of�I had no idea that plastic was probably not the way to go. All this advice has been extremely helpful.

Is Sew What on San Pedro? Sounds like I should have her contact info for this and many other things.
Posted By: Noelle Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/02/14 01:36 PM
Hummingbird also has a pretty thorough website:

http://www.hummingbirdfurnishings.com/

PS Tangles, I PMd you
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/02/14 03:45 PM
www.chaacreek.com look at the pixs of their pool and the furniture around it.

Cc is a grt jungle lodge in Cayo
Posted By: Tangles Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/03/14 03:38 PM
I emailed them Katie, thank you!
Posted By: Bear Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/16/14 01:31 PM
We had ours made by a small shop in San Pedro (dammit I forget his name) but it was very reasonable and included the offer to come and refinish the chaises every year with a sand and reapplication of Cetol for a nominal fee. If you get wood it was recommended to us by the builder not to paint the wood. He specifically said that painting the chairs would significantly reduce the life of the wood. We took the man's advice, I mean he's been building with local woods and I haven't!!

Katie's suggestion is a good one. We talked with Mick when we were there in February and although he apparently hadn't thought of it as a regular business he said he was open to the idea. His woodworkers are pretty amazing.
Posted By: Tangles Re: Poolside lounge chairs - 07/24/14 01:49 PM
Hi Bear, thanks so much for your advice. I did a fair amount of research and finally decided to go with Chris Salas (loved his stuff on his website and his prices). Mick has great stuff too (just saw pictures) but I had to make a quick decision and he didn't have any pics to send in time. But he's definitely on the list for future furniture as well. Fingers crossed they turn out nice - they are being made as we speak!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board