AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: knox Residency Rules Redux - recent info? - 08/15/15 10:44 PM
Like many, my residency application is pending and probably will be for some time to come. I've heard conflicting versions of the Immigration Dept.'s current policy on travel outside Belize after the residency application has been accepted and assigned a case number. I can't get a live person calling Belmopan Immigration Office. I can't find anything official online. Does anyone know whether the current policy allows:

1) unlimited travel once a one-year residency has been documented and the application filed?

2) one or more trips with a combined maximum of 14 days out of the country per calendar year while application is pending?

3) one or more trips but no more than 14 consecutive days out of the country per calendar year while application is pending.

4) None of the above; actually it's .... ?

grrr, plz clarify if you can, or direct me to a trustworthy source?
Many thanks
Posted By: Noelle Re: Residency Rules Redux - recent info? - 08/15/15 11:32 PM
It's been a couple of years, and things may have changed but the Immigration officer I talked to (I had my interview the day I submitted my paperwork) said #2. And when I was approved and went to get the stamp in my passport I needed to submit a new set of passport photocopies to prove that I both had not been out for more than 14 days and that I had continued to get a monthly stamp.

THAT SAID...I know people who left the country for extended periods after submitting and were still granted residency.

Sadly, whatever anyone tells you here or at the immigration dept. may or may not conform to your actual experience. Good luck! I hope you hear something soon.
Posted By: knox Re: Residency Rules Redux - recent info? - 08/16/15 05:53 PM
thanks for your feedback. so I guess I better not take any chances.
Posted By: Noelle Re: Residency Rules Redux - recent info? - 08/16/15 11:43 PM
At least, if you get a different answer from Immigration, get the name of the person who gives it to you.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board